Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3297022 times)

Offline wisdonm

Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #2340 on: March 28, 2013, 09:39:48 PM »
Surprisingly Chris, I have never been to Club 400, but Casa Del Rio, in Waukesha, has the same deal for Tequila. I have a couple more punches to go.  
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 09:41:42 PM by wisdonm »
Stand on it....brakes only slow you down.

Has a checkered past.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2341 on: March 28, 2013, 10:02:59 PM »
Fordboy & MM;

Since you two seem to be beer connoisseurs, maybe you can tell me about a beer that I ran into long, long ago (and in a galaxy far, far away)  :roll:

While visiting East Berlin on leave in '63, a couple of us US soldiers had lunch in a restaurant just off Karl-Marx Allee. For something a bit different, we ordered a Soviet- made beer but the waiter made a face and said they were out of it. We asked what he would recommend and he suggested a Rumanian beer of some sort. When we looked at the bottles, the labels said it was 18% alcohol....needless to say, we each didn't drink more than one-- we were in the East Zone, after all.

My question is, do you know what that beer might have been? I can report that it was good.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Neil,

Did a quick check of the sites I reference for Beer Data and I could not find a reference for anything Romanian/etc @ 18% ABV.

You are in Barly wine/Malt liquor/Imperial Stout territory here.

A few suggestions:

1  Dogfish Head Worldwide Double Stout   18% ABV
2  Dogfish Head Raspberry Ale  18%  ABV
3  Sam Adams Triple Bock   18% ABV
4  3 Floyd's 'Dark Lord' Russian Imperial Stout  15.5% ABV

I'm sure there are others.

This is rarefied & expensive territory. . . . .     BUT, you only need to consume one for the afterglow of naptime. . . . . . .
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2342 on: March 28, 2013, 10:17:34 PM »
One more thing to check off of the list -

Vib Dmp dun!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2343 on: March 29, 2013, 06:18:57 AM »
Header flog. . . . . .

Midget,

Pics of various headers for dyno flog, courtesy of Northern Illinois Mini Maven. . . . . . .

I'm thinking this will be the best bhp producer                                       This is the line-up Sgt. Friday. . . . . .

We will probably need some tail pipe to add on to your system and/or these. . . . . .or to beat a confession out of this little gem. . . . . . . . . .
Officer Smith

While the results won't be exact to what I'll have to get to accomodate the Midget chassis, at least I'll know what lengths I'll need to shop for.

I'd bet Dick of Dave could weld up a set once we've determined which lengths work best.

Midget,

Header flange thickness on the 3 header suspects varies only slightly, .308" / .312" / .316"          Sgt. Friday says:  "You might want to apply a gasket release to the outer face of the manifold gasket, to make the header changes easier and to preserve the gasket."

Edit:    How do these dimensions compare to your existing header and/or your inlet manifold flange??   I recall a mismatch that needed stepped washers/some sort of shim to correct.   Don't want a leaking header on the dyno.    Please advise if something special needs to be made up.    Any plan to vary tailpipe/collector length?     Short (12" to 24" long) pieces should be enough.

Updated Checklist attached.     Except for the pilot bushing, the only things left to do are:

1/  Install dyno pilot bush
2/  Install dyno drive plate & torque
3/  Install carb dyno linkage
4/  Gather the remaining parts & tools
5/  Negotiate with Mistress Helga for the price of "Shpanking"   :-o
6/  Pre-select proper celebratory beverage.   I vote for something the color of motor oil. . . . . . hopefully no "metallic" content or "aftertaste". . . . . . . . .  :?

BTW, Prima'tor Doppelbock was very nice, earning a place on the permanent list.  :-D

Off to more southerly, but still cheeseless, plains of the Illini.    Mrs. Fordboy's plan is to return shortly, but I'm hoping to be taller. . . . . . .
Doppelbockboy
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 07:03:39 AM by fordboy628 »

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2344 on: March 29, 2013, 11:04:01 AM »
Midget,

Confirming:

1/   BMC block oil pressure take off tapped: 1/8 BSP  - 1/8 NPT screws right in, teflon tape to seal.    added (1)  1/8 npt to -4 Aquip adaptor to kit I am bringing,  DONE.

2/   3 into 1 collector OD  1.9"/1.88"    2" OD x 16ga exhaust pipe should slip over to lengthen.      Need 12"/18"     (Bring your pipe expander.)

3/   LCB collector OD  2.0"/1.99"    2-1/8" OD x 16ga exhaust pipe should slip over to lengthen.      Need 12"/18"

PipeMax predicts collector lengths of 13.4" to 13.8"    OR    26.8" to 27.7"   OR multiples thereof.    This is combined with primary lengths of 22.3"/25.8".

I don't know what is needed to get your system to a total length of 37.5" (from the head face to the end of the collector).    That would duplicate the total length of the 3 into1 @ 24" primary length + 13.5" collector length.

Sonya Henie??    What happened??   U-P brain freeze??
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/SonjaHeniePhoto01_3333.jpg&imgrefurl=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SonjaHenie&h=400&w=320&sz=27&tbnid=mf-5Hg3YbtxC5M:&tbnh=109&tbnw=87&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dsonja%2Bhenie%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=sonja+henie&usg=__vcMr335hmdknEXfEXOmSBb-uMEU=&docid=vLHX_mTq02TdwM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=qqhVUYe6F4GGyAGLyYHQBg&sqi=2&ved=0CJEBEP4dMA4

I'm a Peggy Fleming fan myself.
http://figureskating.about.com/od/olympicchampions/p/fleming.htm

BUT, I guess it's the age old Ginger Vs Mary Ann argument. . . .    I say put a pair of black skates on Elvira, I'm betting she would be the most fun.   Who cares if she can skate. . .
http://elvira.hostedbywebstore.com/

:cheers:
F/B
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 11:08:17 AM by fordboy628 »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2345 on: March 29, 2013, 11:39:10 AM »
"BUT, I guess it's the age old Ginger Vs Mary Ann argument. . . .    I say put a pair of black skates on Elvira, I'm betting she would be the most fun.   Who cares if she can skate. . .
http://elvira.hostedbywebstore.com/"

Ahh yes...Mistress of the Dark, "putting the boob back into the boob tube".

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2346 on: March 29, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »

Ahh yes...Mistress of the Dark, "putting the boob back into the boob tube".

And available on the net, making the virtual leap from silicone to silicon.

Offline Tman

« Reply #2347 on: March 29, 2013, 04:39:13 PM »
Fordboy & MM;

Since you two seem to be beer connoisseurs, maybe you can tell me about a beer that I ran into long, long ago (and in a galaxy far, far away)  :roll:

While visiting East Berlin on leave in '63, a couple of us US soldiers had lunch in a restaurant just off Karl-Marx Allee. For something a bit different, we ordered a Soviet- made beer but the waiter made a face and said they were out of it. We asked what he would recommend and he suggested a Rumanian beer of some sort. When we looked at the bottles, the labels said it was 18% alcohol....needless to say, we each didn't drink more than one-- we were in the East Zone, after all.

My question is, do you know what that beer might have been? I can report that it was good.

Neil, I recall a very high alcohol Romanian beer I had at Club 400 in Waukesha when I was still at school at the UW-Waukesha campus -

http://www.club400waukesha.com/indexe3cd.html?websiteid=7357

They used to have the largest variety of bottled imports in SE Wisconsin. 

Do I remember the name?

I don't even remember getting back to my apartment!

Club 400 used to have an arrangement where you would have a card on file at the bar.  You would go in and order an import, they would take your card, and for every different import, they would punch a hole through the name of it.  Once the card was full, you'd get a T-shirt.

I never got a T-shirt, but the card looked like Swiss Cheese before I moved to Milwaukee.

Jims Tap in Brookings SD has the same thing. They call it Around the World. it was 21 beers and the trick was for folks (college) to do it all in one night. You could do it over time as well.  I never paid to do it but had most of the beers over time. Looking back it would have been easy :-o except for the crappy Peroni from Italy!

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #2348 on: March 29, 2013, 09:23:50 PM »
All this elaborate preparation to get the Midget's motor on the dyno - - sure makes  us bike guys appreciate the simplicity of the bike dyno!
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2349 on: March 29, 2013, 10:09:23 PM »
All this elaborate preparation to get the Midget's motor on the dyno - - sure makes  us bike guys appreciate the simplicity of the bike dyno!
Tom

And I am jealous.

Tom, you bring up good points.

I’ve had to completely pull the entire ignition system out of the car and set it up in a stand-alone arrangement, pull the engine and transmission (which turned out to be a good thing – the tranny was shot, and I didn’t know it), and fab up a cooling arrangement that emulates a small block Chevy.  Mark has gone to herculean lengths to get the adapters designed and fabbed, securing borrowed headers to optimize the set up - it’s been trips back and forth to here, there and everywhere for both of us, and by the way, Mark, thank you for the time you’ve dedicated to this. 

We’ve gotten to this point despite delays, family events, and work schedules.

My personal preference would have been to simply dial it in on the chassis dyno, but our last foray revealed enough problems other than the engine that we needed to concentrate on the engine as a sub-system, rather than continue to test the car as a whole in the chassis.  I blew out a tire on the last go-round, and even if the engine had stayed glued together, it would have been a day of further frustration getting that fixed while burning dyno time.  And if the transmission had let go, I’d still be sweeping up kitty litter at Late Model Throttle.

So since last September, it’s been one thing at a time, and in order.

I feel confident, and I’m looking forward to Wednesday.

That said, if there are any further issues with the engine, taking it out will be one less task, and if it’s good, this could be the last time I have to pull it for the year.  That would be nice.

So - my NCAA brackets are screwed - Over/under on hp per liter, boys?

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #2350 on: March 30, 2013, 09:19:26 AM »
Which brings up a good point about our "salted" vehicles.  You get to know all of the components and none of them will intimidate you when it comes time to remove and clean again.  I've run my little motor in 5 events so far, and the motor has come out and apart 6 times - - can almost do it with my eyes closed.  And every time, things show up that needed to be attended to.  Primary drive, transmission, valve train, rings, bearings, ignition and wiring, and then there are chassis concerns as well, like frame, brakes, cables, linkages, tires, wheel bearings, even re-painting the rusted areas.  You'll learn all the weak points and won't be afraid to address any of them.  My 2c worth.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Geo

« Reply #2351 on: March 30, 2013, 10:34:32 AM »
In answer to Chris' question: So - my NCAA brackets are screwed - Over/under on hp per liter, boys?

I had to go back a hundred and some pages to do the calculations with some varaibles from experts. So here we go in this builds best math emulation.

Got to be worth a pony or two......

He has run many engines on both and says you can expect a 20 to 25% parasitic loss of horsepower between the two.

However I was thinking about proportional to the power of the motor, as a proportion of 60hp.Thinking thedrive train probably takes 10-20hp..........that might only increase by a few hp if you were putting another 50hp through it, now I need to have a lie down.

I also know I’m going to need some more firepower, but for a 60 year old engine design with a poorly jetted carb and a 5 port head to pull 1 horsepower per cubic inch at the rear wheels, I can’t complain about my Saturday.

I wish Stan hadn't brought reality into the picture - I kind of like the idea of 1000 ponies! 

Killjoy . . . 

Which brings us to the formula: 996cc x (Ra + 2P) - (60 x 0.33) = 150 Real Wheel HP

over on HP per liter

I'm making a run to stock up for the Wed event!  Go get em boys!

Geo

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #2352 on: March 30, 2013, 10:46:45 AM »
Chris, I'm in at 157 HP next Wednesday!

Goos luck! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2353 on: March 30, 2013, 11:05:09 AM »
Whoa, whoa, whoa . . .

Somewhere in Geoff's calculations is an error - I'll go back and check the math this afternoon, but let me set the benchmark on this.

130 hp is a very strong bored out race prepped SCCA/Vintage 1300.  I've got a really good breathing 999 - one that breathes better than the larger 1300s due to the fact that the 1300s tend to be under valved with essentially the same head.  I'm running a Weber DCOE - the SCCA and Vintage guys run SU carbs, but the cam is the wild card. 

This combination is rare in that the only thing we can compare it to are early Formula 2 motors from the 1960's and a fistful of factory prepped Mini Coopers, and the factory technology stopped bearing fruit 40 years ago.

But the laws of physics, at least the ones I'm familiar with, have remained relatively constant.   

All that said, let me set the value at 99.9 hp, and you can bet beers amongst yourselves as to the over/under.

If it blows, all bets are off!

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #2354 on: March 30, 2013, 11:29:24 AM »
For some reason I thought you had a 1275

Is that 130 HP you stated RWHP, or flywheel?

Still, I'm going with 119 HP.

Loser can buy the beer on the salt! :cheers:

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c