Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3311842 times)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #2070 on: February 05, 2013, 03:36:24 PM »
Chris,
Looking at your adaptor drawing I assume that the X/Y coordinates for each hole realted to the center point of the plate is part of the call out that I see going to each hole, I cannot read them. There is absolutely no way that I would make a part as important as this plate and do it scaling a drawing or even using the drawing as a layover template. The tranny input shaft pilot should be aligned to the center of the crank pilot bushing/bearing within +/- .002 inch or better. That ain't happening scaling a drawing.

Rex

Rex,

The datum point (X=0; Y=0) of all the X,Y co-ordinates on the drawing for the BMC Adaptor Plate is the crankshaft centerline.  I've been looking for a CAM mill to produce the part for Chris, & I think we've come up with a local (area 52) solution.   Tolerance call out for feature locations is +/-.003" which on distances of 3"/5" should be reasonable.

I have had "poor" results with adaptors laid out by hand, or transfer punched off of mating parts.   This is the main reason I started to engineer them with AutoCad back in the late 80's.   Once I started doing that, things lined-up & fit better, big surprise.   My partner @ the time, however, (a transfer punch guy.....) did not want to "invest" so much time and effort to produce adaptors for the dyno.  He was concerned with quantity & production, rather than quality.......     It was the first wedge between us, and eventually I left the business I founded.
 :cheers:
Fordboy 
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2071 on: February 05, 2013, 03:59:39 PM »
I have done 1:1 large scale drawings on many pen and ink jet plotters. They are dead accurate. I have used them as a check template for a 4' x 8' kevlar honeycomb panel for aircraft galleys.

Put cross hairs on the circles and you can centerpunch them and drill for non-bridgeport parts. As accurate as putting dykem blue and scribing.

1:1 plotted on Mylar is how a lot of airplanes used to be built... CNC these days.  Paper can't be trusted.... but since you are just checking... it is a lot cheaper than Mylar

Dean/Stainless,

Back in the dinosaur days when Hewlett Packard pen plotters ruled the CAD world, I (and others) used to do a lot of checking using full size pen plot "paper dolls".   I have also used Mylar when I felt I needed the advantage of mylar over paper.   I've also used the center mark on bolt hole trick, to do hand layouts of "non-critical" stuff more than once.   I also feel that the method is at least as accurate as hand layout with "Dykem blue".   When the funds or resources are available, the best method is 3D Cad design with an electronic transfer right to the proper CNC machining center........

My experience with inkjet plotters has been varied.   I have never owned a wide format inkjet myself.   And it seems that the Associates @ my local Kinkos are capable only of loading 8.5x11 documents into their autofeed copiers.   More than once I've had to show them how to get a full size AutoCad print from their software.........     I guess that comes under the heading of: "If you want it done right, do it yourself."
Fordboy

P.S.  Stainless, Did you try the Dragon's Milk yet?

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2072 on: February 05, 2013, 05:04:10 PM »
Fordboy

P.S.  Stainless, Did you try the Dragon's Milk yet?

Yes I did, WOW!  That is a really great beer.  One of my friends, MC2032 on the board, brother was driving to Madison for a week of work, ordered a case of bombers, got delivered last week, great beer.  Let several friends taste it, one called from St Louis, said he was picking up some... bootlegging is alive and well in KS.
It makes a great "after dinner" beer, comes out of the fridge before dinner...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2073 on: February 05, 2013, 05:14:45 PM »
Yes I did, WOW!

It makes a great "after dinner" beer, comes out of the fridge before dinner...

Glad you enjoyed it!!   One of my favorites as well.   You are right about the temperature too, should NOT be served too cold.  I enjoy mine in a Belgian style "snifter" for the complete experience.....
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fordboy

Offline Tman

« Reply #2074 on: February 06, 2013, 04:23:18 PM »
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/335/5428

^^^^^^^^^sounds like a good desert beer!

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2075 on: February 06, 2013, 05:04:11 PM »
Temporary thread hijack........

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/new-holland-dragons-milk/14621/

Sorry Chris, couldn't stop myself.......
Fordboy

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #2076 on: February 06, 2013, 05:36:00 PM »
Hijack  :?
I thought this was a beer thread with a little car back story....

Split a bomber last night with 2 friends, poured into snifters... perfect for desert after smoked salmon, roasted vegetables and Parmesan polenta.
Stainless

Offline Tman

« Reply #2077 on: February 06, 2013, 05:45:13 PM »

Split a bomber last night with 2 friends, poured into snifters... perfect for desert after smoked salmon, roasted vegetables and Parmesan polenta.

Now yer just making me hungry!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2078 on: February 06, 2013, 10:53:52 PM »
Temporary thread hijack........

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/new-holland-dragons-milk/14621/

Sorry Chris, couldn't stop myself.......
Fordboy

No hijacking observed by this pilot - what I'm seeing is an elaborate, in depth discussion of assembly lube.  :wink:

No reason to call the control tower . . .  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2079 on: February 07, 2013, 03:59:58 AM »
"Miler Time"????? :lol:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2080 on: February 07, 2013, 10:34:03 AM »
"Miler Time"????? :lol:

Well, if we're talking Harold Miller, the creator of those great Indy cars of the '20's, sure.  That's a discussion I will take part in. 

But as a Beerhavian with the Miller/Coors brewery a bicycle ride away from my house, I can state unequivocally that the only time it's Miller time at the Pommy Performance Playhouse is when all other brands have been exhausted. 

THEN it's Miller time.  :-D
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Tman

« Reply #2081 on: February 07, 2013, 10:45:18 AM »
I do know you can have too much "assembly lube". Had it happen when we built the engine for my 54 Chevy. Shop was like a war zone of dead soldiers. We gave up when we realized we had forgotten the cam, started over the next day.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #2082 on: February 07, 2013, 10:49:57 AM »
10:30 AM on a Thursday and you guys are already talking beer?  Doesn't anybody work anymore? (not me)  In any case, here are a couple of Colorado beers you might want to try with your cheese and crackers.
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Tman

« Reply #2083 on: February 07, 2013, 11:34:59 AM »
10:30 AM on a Thursday and you guys are already talking beer?  Doesn't anybody work anymore? (not me)  In any case, here are a couple of Colorado beers you might want to try with your cheese and crackers.

Loves me some Oskar Blues, never had the Pilsner tho................we don't get it up here so I load up in Casper Wy on my way to the salt!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #2084 on: February 07, 2013, 11:52:03 AM »
OK, KK, I will comment on beers for the last time (today). 
Left Hand... Milk Stout... Black Jack Porter... yes they make others....
The Stainless theory on beers...
Years ago one of our Flight Surgeons told us we should drink one to two beers per day for our health (he also told us to eat fish).  Now what is the only way I could reasonably assure myself that drinking a beer was keeping me healthy?  I determined that if you drink dark beers and pee light color pee, then your kidneys are working fine and you have maintained your health watch.  If you drink beer that looks like pee already.... how you gonna know?  Dark beers usually have lots of flavor.... just saying...
Now I have had some very tasty light ales and lagers, so don't get me wrong, I do venture there as well.  But I really like the darker hues.... and the new big thing in micro seems to be aging in used barrels... both of my locals do... and that really adds those layers  :-D

I can't really comment on work.... I don't, actually only did for about 4 years since I was 21, but thats a discussion to have over a good beer...

Now back to your regular programming... how's that MOWOG tranny install thing coming along  :cheers:
Stainless