Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3295704 times)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #2175 on: February 26, 2013, 08:10:04 AM »
Me likey. . . . .     Can I get one in Olde Speckled Hen green?  :roll:

Thanks Graham, for the kink, er, link and the fahntasie. . . . .
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fahntasieboy

BTW:  Watched the video on youtube. . . .   178bhp @ crank from 1380cc's = 128.98bhp/litre on L1 cams. . . . and power was still climbing @ 8500rpm.
113lb/ft TQ @ 6500rpm = 202.35 psi BMEP (13.96 bar);   111lb/ft TQ @ 8500rpm = 198.77 psi BMEP (13.71 bar);  very good with L1 cams.

999cc would be ~ 129bhp, more certain with full race spec cams. . . . . .
1498cc would be ~ 193bhp. . . . . . .         (Just dreamin' of course. . . . . )   sans blower. . . . . . . . .  :wink:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 11:20:40 AM by fordboy628 »
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2176 on: February 26, 2013, 08:53:05 AM »

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #2177 on: February 26, 2013, 10:26:13 AM »
Chris, if you cut the beer budget for a month you can afford that head. Heck, only $7,000.

Ask Mrs. Midget, I'm sure she can skip the rent for a month or two.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #2178 on: February 26, 2013, 11:05:27 AM »
This recently released secret video of Chris after the last dyno session.

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2179 on: February 26, 2013, 11:17:03 AM »
This recently released secret video of Chris after the last dyno session.

Actually, looks more like how I felt. . . . .      I recall that Chris was very calm, in retrospect, perhaps stunned calm. . . . . .
 :cheers:
F/B

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2180 on: February 26, 2013, 04:42:55 PM »
Sorry guys, I just caught up on my reading on the thread... you need to step back, re-read the GT rules... without mixing in the production rules.  Engine swaps are permitted within the manufacturers array of engines... as long as they were used by the manufacturer in an automobile.  Does not specify year... or if engine was used in 500 vehicles, just that it is the manufacturers automobile engine.  Did they use that head on anything, even a factory race engine?   
So now go read engine swaps, not production engine requirements....  :-o GT is a special case... production body, not necessarily production engine.
Sorry, I probably just cost you a lot of money....
for that you owe me a beer  :cheers:
or I owe you one  :evil: :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2181 on: February 26, 2013, 07:50:51 PM »
Well, it's not the engine that's in question, it's the head. 

The MOWOG 8 port casting is a race part intended for the A-block and if I'm not mistaken, was granted homologation status with FIA for use in Minis, but was never sold in a car, nor even attached to an engine which came from the factory.

Seeing as I have NOT done an engine swap, it's my reading of the rule that the restriction regarding port configuration in production, the overarching rule category in which GT falls into, prevails.

Now maybe I'm letting the rules have too much influence over my otherwise contrarian existence, and I'll drop an e-mail tonight to the rules folks, but I'm thinking that this is a no-go.

I want to eventually DO an engine swap, and I'll be looking at the MG Rover K-series engine with DOHC's, which, as you point out, is clearly legal in GT.  In fact, I think a solid argument could be made for a Coventry Climax engine in this - Jaguar bought Coventry in the early '60's, and they merged with BMC a little later.

There is potential for some interesting options in this thing, and while I'll check out all of those options, for the time being, I'm content to see what this Formula 2 spec A series will pump out.

And Stainless, the first round's on me.  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #2182 on: February 26, 2013, 10:31:46 PM »
My bet is if it says MOWOG on the casting, and on the block and on the tranny you should have a legal part.  If it is not made by someone else, it is a factory part and should be good.  Read 4.N again then remember you can have a swap in GT, but you don't have to.
Stainless

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2183 on: February 26, 2013, 11:06:22 PM »
It's such a small car.  Think about this option -- You'd think that dropping it out of a (small) plane would not be that much of an investment.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2184 on: February 26, 2013, 11:21:45 PM »
It's such a small car.  Think about this option -- You'd think that dropping it out of a (small) plane would not be that much of an investment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIF9ys-hJn0

:wink:

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2185 on: February 27, 2013, 12:18:37 AM »
Chris, if you cut the beer budget for a month you can afford that head. Heck, only $7,000.

7K?......... er, that's about 6.5K collectable value innit?

all I know is there'd be a few string-back gloves going backwards and forwards pretty fast over those pictures....... :roll: :roll:

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2186 on: February 27, 2013, 12:48:35 AM »
My bet is if it says MOWOG on the casting, and on the block and on the tranny you should have a legal part.  If it is not made by someone else, it is a factory part and should be good.  Read 4.N again then remember you can have a swap in GT, but you don't have to.

Am I putting the proper emphasis on the intent of your statement?

7K?......... er, that's about 6.5K collectable value innit?

all I know is there'd be a few string-back gloves going backwards and forwards pretty fast over those pictures....... :roll: :roll:

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah . . . . .

Tell you what, Gogs - I'll make you a deal.  Pull the donk, ship the SOS to the Raj Mahal, I'll broker that Menard engine out of Indiana for you, we'll all get together a week before Speedweek at Wayno's, bolt it in the tank, and then I'll buy that casting - fair enough?  :-D

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2187 on: February 27, 2013, 08:33:53 AM »
Party at my house.  8-) Wayno  :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #2188 on: February 27, 2013, 09:41:46 AM »
MM. I think you've got it... anything automotive that MOWOG produced is legal in a MOWOG GT car.  Anything they didn't produce puts you in MS.  Be sure to phrase your question to the SCTA correctly.  We crossed this bridge in the late 70s with the Abarth... the reading of the class rule was the same pertaining to engine swaps. 
GT is a unique production class.  If you were running a Corvette, you could put any bowtie part on any bowtie engine and put it in your bowtie Corvette....

James.. if you drag the SOS here let me know early so I can get my stuff done in time to come help.... or drink Wayno beer  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2189 on: February 28, 2013, 08:17:57 AM »
Midget,

Is this the cam cover/block style with the tensioner?   Is this the A+, the "improved" version?

Also from Fortech site:
1/ Windage tray installation notes    http://www.7ent.com/pages/articles-tech-tips/windage-tray-installation.html
2/ Billet distributor plug                   http://www.7ent.com/categories/fortech-racing-components.html?sort=featured&page=2
3/ Steel main cap set                      http://www.7ent.com/categories/fortech-racing-components.html?sort=featured&page=5

And somewhere in my internet searching I found someone with bits for restoring tiiming chain fit on line bored/line honed blocks.   Will post link at a later time, after I figure out who it was.
 :cheers:
Fordboy