Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3295528 times)

Offline Rob

Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #2460 on: April 17, 2013, 11:56:18 PM »
Chris, you do this on purpose don't you!!!   :|

and the next date is?????

Cheers,
Rob

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #2461 on: April 18, 2013, 09:35:19 AM »
Chris you have obviously irritated the gods of: "It can't be done!"  :evil: Keep at it, I love to see them squirm!  :cheers:
Have you thought about a magneto and rope starter - back to basics?  :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2462 on: April 18, 2013, 09:59:38 AM »
Midget,

Just a thought as a backup plan. . . . . . . .

Did some research on that Nutek "Firepower" ignition box I have:

1/ It is very high output & programmable for spark timing
2/ It utilizes a single high output coil
3/ It also requires a distributor to "feed" the sparks to the proper cylinder
4/ It requires a Chrysler reluctor & pickup wheel, not sure if I have one
5/ I am uncertain if the Chrysler reluctor will work with your current crank trigger wheel

I also have some Lucas (sorry to use that curse word. . . . .) systems & bits:

A/ I have some "Opus" CDI stuff as used on Cosworth race engines
B/ I have some later model "CEI" stuff as used by Cosworth/PHP
C/ Both of these system types can use mag/optic crank triggers, and/or distributor triggers, but use single H/O coils and need distributors to "distribute" the sparks. . . .

Let me know if you want to use any of this stuff.    I may need to go to my storage unit & start digging. . . . . . .
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2463 on: April 18, 2013, 11:25:13 AM »
Mark, thanks, and I’ve no doubt that in that pile-o-parts something could be hatched that would serve as a backup system.  But I’m committed to making the Electromotive system work, and that will likely include running without an ignition back-up plan. 

The engine set-up was largely based on the capabilities of this system.  To put into place a fallback position of this nature, even as an emergency back-up to complete system failure on the salt, holds more potential for frustration than it does possibilities for success. 

If the Electromotive kit fails on the salt, I’ll either fix it, try to borrow a piece, or put it back on the trailer. 

Maybe this makes me a wimp, but I don’t see myself doing a wholesale ignition swap-out on the salt.

But brother, thanks for looking into it.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2464 on: April 18, 2013, 05:15:07 PM »
Mark, thanks, and I’ve no doubt that in that pile-o-parts something could be hatched that would serve as a backup system.  But I’m committed to making the Electromotive system work, and that will likely include running without an ignition back-up plan.  

The engine set-up was largely based on the capabilities of this system.  To put into place a fallback position of this nature, even as an emergency back-up to complete system failure on the salt, holds more potential for frustration than it does possibilities for success.  

If the Electromotive kit fails on the salt, I’ll either fix it, try to borrow a piece, or put it back on the trailer.  

Maybe this makes me a wimp, but I don’t see myself doing a wholesale ignition swap-out on the salt.

But brother, thanks for looking into it.

Midget,

OK.    Wimpyness isn't a factor.     Based on the prices of Electromotive bits, just trying to be a "wallet-shield". . . . . . . . .
 :cheers:
Electro-Fudd
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 05:25:45 PM by fordboy628 »

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Jon

« Reply #2465 on: April 18, 2013, 08:19:13 PM »
Bummed to hear it didn't go 100% for you Chris.

I think your decision to commit to distributor less is very sound and agree with your strategy of fixing, replacing like with like or packing up is a good plan.

Hope you have sparks flying soon.
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2466 on: April 23, 2013, 12:41:06 AM »
Well, it appears my old friend “Dumb Luck” might have been in attendance last Wednesday.

After reviewing the wiring, pulling all non essential leads (MAP sensors are of no concern on a DCOE), hooking up the GROUND WIRE that I had inadvertently terminated to HOT and taking a trip to Solder City, the lights came on!

It’s been my experience that if an electronic appliance will fire up, it’s usually not terminal.  Nevertheless, the entire unit will be winging its way to Manassas for a complete bench check in the capable hands of an Electromotive tech before I drag this back to Gurnee.

So this weekend, I attended the annual Wisconsin/Illinois Homebrewers club tailgate at Miller Park, and watched the Cubs trip over their own shoestrings - yet again.  The beer selection was nothing short of fantastic.

I stayed away from the wheat - it invariably gives me headaches - but the Summer Surprise was superb.  A nice American style Lager, it had a light finish of bubble gum - yeah, I KNOW - weird, but again, superb.  The Porter was almost as good as Wayno's, the Red went well with the chili I brought, and I don't remember a thing about the Memory Lapse Pale Ale, so I'll assume it lived up to its name.

And after sleeping off the toxins, Sunday, I was able to finally get around to installing the Hartwell latches that I had drilled holes for about a year ago . . .

I really want to keep this diary honest, but it is my intention to post up a success or two, sooner than later.

gkabbt

« Reply #2467 on: April 23, 2013, 06:21:04 AM »

Chris,
REALLY like your Gnome mascot laying in the bonnet although he could be the one causing your problems when you are not looking.  :-D

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2468 on: April 23, 2013, 07:09:06 AM »
Mmmmmmmmmmm. Beer.  :cheers: It's about time to get a batch going now that I have a real stove. Boiling five gallons of water on a hot plate was a bit tedious, to say the least.  :roll: Wayno

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #2469 on: April 23, 2013, 07:29:41 AM »
" Hooking up the GROUND WIRE that I had inadvertently terminated to HOT and taking a trip to Solder City, the lights came on"

That sounds right (English , remember) Don't the poms still wire things backwards ?
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2470 on: April 23, 2013, 08:11:56 AM »

Chris,
REALLY like your Gnome mascot laying in the bonnet although he could be the one causing your problems when you are not looking.  :-D

That's Austin, the semi-recumbent travel Gnome.  He spends most of his days in the trunk of the MGB.  He's made out of plastic, is hollow, and is filled with moth balls.  The smell keeps mice out of the MGB during the winter months, and I reward him with travel miles.  He's been to Toronto, Minneapolis, Cedar Rapids, St. Louis, Chicago, Maxton, Bonneville, and once sat the entire set on top of my guitar amplifier at Summerfest.

He pulls his weight.

" Hooking up the GROUND WIRE that I had inadvertently terminated to HOT and taking a trip to Solder City, the lights came on"

That sounds right (English , remember) Don't the poms still wire things backwards ?
Tiny

They probably do, but that doesn't permit me the same privilege.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #2471 on: April 23, 2013, 08:30:13 AM »
Chris, I chased engine over heating all last year. Had to finally take the electric water pump apart over the winter and found the the factory wired it backwards inside the motor. Drove me nuts....I know, a short ride :-D
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2472 on: April 23, 2013, 08:55:31 AM »
Well, it appears my old friend “Dumb Luck” might have been in attendance last Wednesday.

After reviewing the wiring, pulling all non essential leads (MAP sensors are of no concern on a DCOE), hooking up the GROUND WIRE that I had inadvertently terminated to HOT and taking a trip to Solder City, the lights came on!

It’s been my experience that if an electronic appliance will fire up, it’s usually not terminal.  Nevertheless, the entire unit will be winging its way to Manassas for a complete bench check in the capable hands of an Electromotive tech before I drag this back to Gurnee.

I really want to keep this diary honest, but it is my intention to post up a success or two, sooner than later.

Midget,

I think you need a Patron Saint of Electronics, Electrics and Wiring!!     I hereby nominate:  AC/DC!!

Although, . . . . . . maybe a little too close to AD/HD and their seminal album:   "Highway to Hey, Look, a Squirrel!!!"

Just gonna keep my fingers crossed about the ECU. . . . . . . .
 :cheers:
Electro Fudd
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 08:57:07 AM by fordboy628 »

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #2473 on: April 23, 2013, 10:52:45 AM »
Chris,
Sending it back to the mfg is a pretty good idea, power to the ground leg is asking for trouble. When it comes to electronic anything on a car the ground connection is probably the most important. I would suggest a separate wire from the ground connection back to the battery ground plus additional ground wires to the engine block and anything else that is handy. You just can't have enough grounds, as long as they are all referenced to the battery ground.

From a beer stand point I am a big porter fan but have pretty much stopped drinking beer as it makes me sleepy, fat and really fires up my gout. Getting old sucks! We all await your next dyno adventure!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Tman

« Reply #2474 on: April 23, 2013, 12:36:22 PM »
Hey, I remember those Hartwells! Look great!