Author Topic: UTAH ALLIANCE  (Read 134978 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: UTAH ALLIANCE
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2015, 10:39:47 PM »
LSL
Boys, with and without thin skin, the quote comes from railroad newspaper report not backed with any science. Understand that Jinx Vesco, Stuart Gosswein and I researched and wrote the very document you use to now berate us with.

To wit:

Chicago: “The Railway Age Gazette” pronounces “this natural racing-track is a level bed of salt, 98 % pure…
The salt-beds are 65 miles long and 8 miles wide. The estimated depth, in the middle, is 12 - 15 feet.”

be·rate
bəˈrāt/
verb
scold or criticize (someone) angrily.
"his mother came out and berated me for raising my voice"
synonyms:   scold, rebuke, reprimand, reproach, reprove, admonish, chide, criticize, upbraid, take to task, read someone the riot act, haul over the coals;

You asked where he got that info, he said from the website  www.save-the-salt.org  :-o  We read the documents, talk about what we see there, and you jump ugly when we comment.
Maybe you should be the one that should not knee jerk and use inflammatory words when all the rest of us are just trying to figure out where all this is going.  
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

velocity

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2015, 10:46:43 PM »
Stainless, et al.

If any of you would like to take over, if you think you can do a better job than I , then PLEASE come get my files and I shall retire without complaint.

Offline RogerL

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2015, 10:55:11 AM »
Stainless, i am disappointed that you some others on this blog that want to attack members of the Utah Alliance personally. We have wanted to try and let the racers know a little more about our efforts to get the BLM to implement a reclamation program immediately. Some level of transparency has been lacking in past efforts as we all know. We decided to use landracing, Facebook along with our website to accomplish that purpose. however if the personal attacks continue we will drop landracing. The Alliance is under no obligation to talk to or share anything with anyone, we are doing it simply because we thought it was the right thing to do and the racers my like to know what's up. Think about....

By the way, have you made an effort to contact your congressmen as suggested on www.save-the-salt.org?

if you want to discuss this further, give me a call or send me an email. I am easy to find.

Offline jl222

« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2015, 11:55:35 AM »
Stainless, i am disappointed that you some others on this blog that want to attack members of the Utah Alliance personally. We have wanted to try and let the racers know a little more about our efforts to get the BLM to implement a reclamation program immediately. Some level of transparency has been lacking in past efforts as we all know. We decided to use landracing, Facebook along with our website to accomplish that purpose. however if the personal attacks continue we will drop landracing. The Alliance is under no obligation to talk to or share anything with anyone, we are doing it simply because we thought it was the right thing to do and the racers my like to know what's up. Think about....

By the way, have you made an effort to contact your congressmen as suggested on www.save-the-salt.org?

if you want to discuss this further, give me a call or send me an email. I am easy to find.

Rodger... Any response from us after Louise called our post as being on MIND ALTERING DRUGS is an attack on her but
not on us?

I have always thought after Louise's post that she must have had the backing of some of the members of the Alliance or
she wouldn't have posted something as derogatory as that.

You and others have confirmed that, AND. don't you think she owes the forum and apology?

JL222

Offline RichFox

« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2015, 12:31:33 PM »
Some may find LAN not to their taste. Maybe several. But I think everyone needs to keep in mind the goal here. You don't have to like someone to have the same interests. It appears that someone will have to work with politicians some where down the line. You may find politicians and those who act like them distasteful.  But the goal is what we are after. Not taste. Infighting at this early state bodes ill for the effort. Allowing for differences in attitude will be necessary. Take what help you can get and be grateful for it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 12:40:24 PM by RichFox »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2015, 01:27:49 PM »
This is a forum - this particular topic more so than most.

I'm looking over who has posted here, and I'm not seeing any idiots, dolts or psychedelic drug abusers.

I am seeing gut level concerns, fundamental values and beliefs percolating as to how to approach the issue of attempts to preserve the salt flats.

This is a fundamental function of a forum - to question approaches, discuss potential outcomes, and in the end, to come up with a road map.

I've often said that this is a group that tends to like to "knit their own sweaters".  By that, know that it is intended as high praise for the individualistic approach we all take to our racing endeavors.

It's reasonable to believe that our approaches to political, environmental and cooperative endeavors are likely to come from different viewpoints as well.  One look at the vehicles sitting in the pits clearly shows we are not of a monolithic mindset.

I'm seeing here more frustration than axe grinding, and while we know we do need to speak with one voice, it stands to reason that this can be a constructive part of developing that voice.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2015, 10:07:50 AM »
As to the aquifers, know this: yesterday, with the help of the Utah Department of Natural Resources, I spent 7 hours researching all of Intrepid's Wendover water rights, maps, wells, flow rates, width's, depths locations, activity, blah, blah blah. I have facts, but need to plug said facts into context before I say anything.

I'm not sure how all this relates to the problem at hand = no salt. What about the fact the salt used to be feet thick? What about old mining or salt harvesting company's boring or core samples that showed the depth of the "CRUST". The "SALT" crust is what we're interested in. The crust is laying in Intrepids ponds, feet thick, by their own statements, and in piles on their property, and they and the BLM are denying they are responsible for the loss.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2015, 11:19:24 AM »
I found the previously missed suggested letter in the take action section.

(date)

Re: Land Speed Racing at Bonneville Salt Flats

Dear Senator (or Congressman/woman) ______________

I am writing to you today to bring to your attention an issue that threatens the century old sport of land speed racing at Bonneville Salt Flats on the Utah/Nevada border in Wendover, Utah.  

The condition of the salt flats has deteriorated to point that all five land speed races scheduled over four months this year and 2014 saw 3 of the 5 cancelled. This is a huge economic hit to the towns of Wendover, UT and West Wendover, NV.

The organizations that host the races work closely with the Bureau of Land Management to obtain permits to use the salt flats and to ensure that the racers and spectators adhere to strict environmental guidelines.

The degradation of this historic area is due in part to mining activity nearby. The mining companies, over decades have extracted potash by pumping brine from under the salt, resulting in a thinning of the salt crust. Weather has certainly played a part as well.

There are a number of cost-effective ‘fixes” that have been identified that will not inhibit the mining company’s operation. While the entire area is administered by the BLM, there is no plan in place to mandate ongoing reclamation or restoration.

I ask that you support our efforts to save the salt and restore the long-held history of land speed racing by mandating that the BLM immediately develop a plan to reclaim this wonderful national treasure, the Bonneville Salt Flats.

For additional information please contact the Utah Alliance to Save the Salt at www.save-the-salt.org.

Thank you.

(your name)
(address)
(city, state, zip)

(ph #)
(email address)

I see the direction... start reclamation and restoration now... not wait until the mining is done removing and selling all the salt.... I guess I failed to glean that from the minutia of the info released in this thread...
It is now the obvious direction the Utah Alliance is headed.  
I have previously sent emails to my reps expressing concern with the mining industry... removing and selling the Salt Flats.  
Hopefully this will be the direction that gets it done.  This is the direction we all should drive our communications to our lawmakers.  
Reclaim and restore now
The other link I found previously was phone numbers so.... Monday.... That's Pat Roberts day...202-224-4774  I'll call him today
Tomorrow is... Jerry Moran day...202-224-6521... and so on... one of them every day... Finally... we have clear direction of what we need to do.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 11:22:05 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline RogerL

« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2015, 01:52:09 PM »
Hey Stainless, thanks for the support! We collectively can make a difference. Hopefully others will follow your lead.

Roger Lessman

velocity

« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2015, 02:29:10 PM »
Mr. Gibson and all other frustrated, angry racers

If you wish to be sure about how aquifers "relate to the problem at hand = no salt" then I encourage you to spend time reading the volumes of documentation we have assembled for your review at: www.save-the-salt.org.

There you will learn:

~ that without properly recharged aquifers there can be no salt crust upon which to race.
~ how Intrepid Mining has been helping to restore the salt crust.
~ what is in play right now at federal, state and local levels to restore the Bonneville Salt Flats to safe racing conditions.

The Utah Alliance was formed in direct response to the lack of action and/or communication on the part of Save The Salt and the Save The Salt Coalition. Several of the people involved with both groups are now working diligently with the Utah Alliance  to effect a robust reclamation plan.

We cannot and will not respond to everyone. We, the VOLUNTEER Utah Alliance members, as well as the salt, don't have that luxury of time.

The racing community must do its part and become informed to each person's individual degree of comfort, or you must trust us to work on your behalf that we all want the same thing - a safe raceway.

Know this: the most effective thing you can do RIGHT NOW, THIS WEEK, is to call or write to EACH ONE of your elected officials. We have made this easy by posting detailed instructions at:

http://www.save-the-salt.org/take-action/

If Stainless can do this, so can the rest of you. You will be amazed at the degree of positive impact  such a collective effort by individuals racers can have.

See you on the salt.

Offline sabat

« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2015, 04:36:11 PM »
Mr. Gibson and all other frustrated, angry racers

If you wish to be sure about how aquifers "relate to the problem at hand = no salt" then I encourage you to spend time reading the volumes of documentation we have assembled for your review at: www.save-the-salt.org.

There you will learn:

~ that without properly recharged aquifers there can be no salt crust upon which to race.
~ how Intrepid Mining has been helping to restore the salt crust.
~ what is in play right now at federal, state and local levels to restore the Bonneville Salt Flats to safe racing conditions.

The Utah Alliance was formed in direct response to the lack of action and/or communication on the part of Save The Salt and the Save The Salt Coalition. Several of the people involved with both groups are now working diligently with the Utah Alliance  to effect a robust reclamation plan.

We cannot and will not respond to everyone. We, the VOLUNTEER Utah Alliance members, as well as the salt, don't have that luxury of time.

The racing community must do its part and become informed to each person's individual degree of comfort, or you must trust us to work on your behalf that we all want the same thing - a safe raceway.

Know this: the most effective thing you can do RIGHT NOW, THIS WEEK, is to call or write to EACH ONE of your elected officials. We have made this easy by posting detailed instructions at:

http://www.save-the-salt.org/take-action/

If Stainless can do this, so can the rest of you. You will be amazed at the degree of positive impact  such a collective effort by individuals racers can have.

See you on the salt.

I appreciate the efforts of all involved, and I will follow your link and contact my local reps. The snide backhands are unprofessional, and serve no useful purpose, other than a little bolt of glee for you I assume. They detract from your efforts. -Dean

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2015, 05:03:56 PM »
Hi Louise and others trying to save our salt flats, to be successful we need to stay united and teamwork is important.  And to those folks on the committee we do appreciate your hard work and hours you put in to get us to our goal at Bonneville, we thank you for your hard work, Dave
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2015, 06:20:22 PM »
That's Land Mass Louise for you.

Passionate.  (Always right, right?)

There's those who have worked with her -- and then there's those who don't know her.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2015, 07:33:36 PM »
Yessir, and ma'am,
  There is some right interesting reading in that database.  Louise, thank you again.

From the Intrepid EA;

4.0 ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACTS 
UTU-087809-087818 
UT-020-2006-002 

4.3.2.2 Alternative B Proposed Action with Mitigation 
Primary Pond Relocation:  The impacts would be the same as the Proposed Action.     
New Ditch Location on South Leases:   The impacts would be the same as the Proposed Action
Fringe Acreage Lease:  The impacts would be the same as the Proposed Action
Salt Laydown:  The effect of the salt laydown project on the resource would be the same as under the proposed action. 
                     The only difference is that Intrepid would be obligated to conduct the salt laydown project.
Reclamation:   The ditches in the ACEC would be filled in and the ditch berms would be removed. 
                    This would bring the surface of the land back to its original contour.   

The above was approved by the BLM in the document:
Mining Plan Environmental Notice,
http://www.save-the-salt.org/s/Intrepid-Potash-Mine-and-Reclamation-Plan.pdf

(I'd cut and paste here but I'm incompetent, so I will quote the notice for emphasis)

Mostly it deals with the Salt Laydown.
3 year rolling average ion mass balance and report to th BLM within 60 days after completion for the year.
(I'd like to see the numbers myself.)

And the 2018 salt study.
Measure what is left and "...revise terms and conditions when the lease is readjusted in 2023."
(2023? YIKES!)

and the closing paragraph on the top of page 5.

"... This approval is contingent upon strict compliance with the specifics of Alternate B as outlined in the EA..."
(top of this page)

Has the Reclamation section of the approved Alternative B Proposed Action with Mitigation been implemented without my noticing?

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline desotoman

« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2015, 09:46:05 PM »
Hey Stainless, thanks for the support! We collectively can make a difference. Hopefully others will follow your lead.

Roger Lessman

I contacted my representatives and made them aware of the problem, and also
www.save-the-salt.org.

Tom G.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.