Author Topic: Prewar V12 aircraft engine in a Land speed racer  (Read 22377 times)

Offline Billqvist

• New folks
Prewar V12 aircraft engine in a Land speed racer
« on: December 13, 2009, 01:04:39 PM »
I have started my biggest project ever and the project is to build an old landspeed racer from the 30´s (like Babs, Napier-Railton, Brutus, etc.). The challenge is to use an old prewar aircraft engine Isotta-Fraschini Delta 35c (V12, 26 liter and 750hp).

I am hoping to find contacts and knowledge about those aircooled enginesin land speed racers. Is there any one out there who know something or know people that might an help and advice how to install and operate the engine, etc?

Thanks in advance,
Glenn Billqvist
Sweden
it´s now or never...

Offline DavidinDurango

Re: Prewar V12 aircraft engine in a Land speed racer
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 02:40:22 PM »
Glenn, best of luck in your quest.

There is a movie floating around of a aircraft motored car - V8 and running!  Can't remember where I found, but I'll look.

Here's a few movies on youtubehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QewkrG6dPK8&feature=related  hope it works.

Please keep us up to date . . .

« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 02:48:37 PM by DavidinDurango »
DavidinDurango
Mostly Fords with "some stuff"
LSR, because it takes more than one ball to play.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 03:40:14 PM »
Glenn -

This is a really cool idea, and I wish you success with it.

I would consider becoming a member of the EEA, the Experimental Aircraft Association, in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

http://www.eaa.org/

Their membership includes a number of people who would be able to help you source the type of engine you're looking to make work, and your dues would also help maintain one of the greatest monuments to aviation in the world.  These folks live and breath aircraft technology, both old and new, and I'm certain you could make the kind of contacts to bring this car to fruition.

Good luck, and when you get started, please post a build diary here.  I'm certain we'd all love to see it happen.

Cheers! :cheers:

Chris Conrad
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline ATS, Inc

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 03:57:58 PM »
Glenn,
Look for Rodney Rucker on the internet, he builds vehicles with aircooled tank engines, Packard V12 PT boat engines, and other unusual builds! Jay Leno even has one of his monster cars. Hope this helps.
Sterling

Offline 46champ

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 05:02:56 PM »
Try looking at and contacting someone from the Aircraft Engine Historical Society, http://www.enginehistory.org/

McRat

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 05:08:12 PM »
Glenn,
Look for Rodney Rucker on the internet, he builds vehicles with aircooled tank engines, Packard V12 PT boat engines, and other unusual builds! Jay Leno even has one of his monster cars. Hope this helps.
Sterling

I saw that "Leno Car" when I was visiting Gale Banks.  IIRC, it's a V-12? tank engine.  It's HUGE.  Don't remember specs on it.  I think Gale was turbocharging it?

Offline bbarn

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 05:19:18 PM »
Glenn,
Sterling

I saw that "Leno Car" when I was visiting Gale Banks.  IIRC, it's a V-12? tank engine.  It's HUGE.  Don't remember specs on it.  I think Gale was turbocharging it?

http://www.blastolene.com/jay_leno/index.htm
It was from a tank... The main site has some other customs that he has done, he may have some information or be able to locate an engine for you. I don't think the guy is a hot-rodder as much as he is an "artist". He is the one that built the chopped Peterbilt that was on another thread here.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline jauguston

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 11:00:21 PM »
I don't think there were many if any air cooled inline engines here. Lots of radials and water cooled V-12's. A lot of the V-12 engines, Rolls and Allison engines were used for years in unlimited hydroplane racing and when they converted to turbines a lot of their piston stuff ended up with the tractor pullers. The unlimited guys were getting 3500-4000 hp out of the Rolls-Merlin and were turning them over 4500 rpm almost twice what they were designed for.

Jim

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 12:14:14 AM »
Glenn, Most of the pre war car racers in the US that used airplane engines used either the Hispano Suiza V8 or the Packard Liberty V12 engine. These two were the most readily available as surplus and were both water-cooled.  Ralph DePalma raced a Packard Liberty V12 engine at Daytona Beach and went 149 and change for a speed record.  That engine is in the Smithsonian now and when I saw it about five years ago it looked as though they just took off the propeller hub and the reduction gear and cover and modified a clutch and transmission coupler to take its place.  Also there were two Packard V12 cars entered in the 1919 Indy 500.

The Hispano Suiza V8 was more popular and cheaper and was used as a V8 and also as a 4 cylinder mainly in sprint cars into the 60’s.  Wright Martin published a manual with lots of fold out blueprints considered the bible for the engine. http://www.aircraft-manuals.com/wrmahisuaiea.html   You might try getting a hold of Mike Hegarty who was part of the Dozier and Hegarty liner.  He ran a Hispano Suiza powered sprint car and had several of these engines.  Keep us posted on your project.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Billqvist

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 01:10:42 PM »
Thanks a lot for all the replies and advice and what to search for, etc. I realize there is some challenges using the V12 Aircooled Isotta Fraschini and even more challenging, when the V12 is a inverted one as well. I will keep you posted on the progress.

Regards,
Glenn
it´s now or never...

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 01:41:57 PM »
If you are inverting the engine, I would look at how the guys that race with the Ranger air-cooled airplane engines do it. It’s not a pre war engine, and only really went into production during the war.  May of them ended up in cars and boats inverted.  The Ranger powered cars I have seen had special sumps made to work with modified oiling systems.  If you decide not to go with your engine and decide to go with the Hispano Suiza V8 engine, a company called Ambler made parts to put them in cars.  Also there are several people that have the patterns for the Hispano Suiza engine that Rex Mays raced.  This link is to race cars powered by Hispano Suiza engines  http://winfield.50megs.com/Hisso.htm   Tony
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 01:47:40 PM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline woz

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 08:57:17 AM »
Glenn,

I have a modified supercharged Ranger V12 that has been "flipped" and is turn key.  Not exactly sure what it is going in yet but If I can be of any help send me a message.

Ron

Offline pookie

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 12:18:09 PM »
Hi Billquist and Woz... Jot Horne ran a roadster in the late 40s early 50s, with an inverted blowen ranger engine... Did very well... There is a good picture of it in Dean Batchlers book, "'Dry Lakes and Drag Strips'"... You can email him at jotimy@sti.net, he could probably help shorten the learning curve... Mike R.

Offline kainzow

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 08:21:50 PM »
Woz,

Turn-key inverted Ranger V-12... must be awesome.  What did you do for induction?  Got plans for Speedweek (I hope)... what class(es) would accept that engine?  Can you post a video?

Offline woz

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 03:08:54 PM »
I'll send a PM.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 03:14:10 PM by woz »