Author Topic: Very fast sidecar  (Read 17848 times)

Offline bak189

Very fast sidecar
« on: October 03, 2009, 12:01:13 PM »
At this years World of Speed, John Stege (#997) racing in SIDECAR-F-1350 set a record at 216.208.........
A outstanding achievement..........Congrat, John
Question authority.....always

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Very fast sidecar
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 01:19:37 PM »
Noonan ran 218 in the dirt with side car.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline joea

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 02:25:18 PM »
........very cool......too.......stege's looked awesome.....

congrats....!!

Offline bak189

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 06:51:27 PM »
If both John N. and John S. had raced the BUB event earlier this year..........either one could have set a AMA
National record and/or a FIM World Record............plus I would have handed either one (whoever was fastest), $800.00 in cash................Like our good motorcycling friend Jay Leno asked the actor Hugh Grant "what in the world were you thinking"............Oh, well there is always next year....with more money for the sidecars...

Offline willieworld

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 07:40:09 PM »
does anyone out there have any contact information for john stege----thanks willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 10:49:12 PM »
Willie:

I sent you his information during WoS.  Didn't you get it?  I might still have it filed somewhere out in Wendover and will check again -- but I thought I took care of getting it to you.  I might be able to dig it up again -- but at WoS he wrote it on a piece of paper for me so I'd get it right.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline willieworld

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 11:15:35 PM »
i thought i gave you my info to give to him ---old age is a b!t(h     willie buchta

jon   sheri just told me she put your letter in a folder    thanks    willie buchta
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 11:20:35 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Ole Yellar

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 01:54:30 AM »
Hi guys. I know I am a beginner. But I have been all over the rule book on side cars and all it says is that you must have 3 wheels which are able to produce two tracks. Also that the hack must be adjusted and weighted for safe operation. And then the normal size minimums and other rules. BUT i have not read anywhere where it states that if you are going down course that all 3 wheels have to be on the ground at all times. That might be a bit tough on a solid rig and a suspended rig might still come off once in a while. So do the bikes have to be leaned/weighted winged to keep the outrigger planted or what? By the way Willie and his wifes Buildup was the Bomb. What a lucky hardworking couple of people. I hope to meet them at speed week.
Thanks
Bob

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 02:17:39 AM »
Welcome to the board.  There is a rule that says the sidecar wheel must weigh at least 10% of the overall weight of the sidecar.  I'm sure the wheel, if it hits a bump, will lift for a split second.  What sort of outfit are you building?  BTW phrases such as "wheel on a stick" and "monkey" are considered faux pas by some hre.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Ole Yellar

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 02:50:59 AM »
Gotcha. I'm an ol timey guy. My thought is to use my M109R2 and bolt a minimal sidecar that fits the rules and just have some fun for a while. Ride it around town to get use to it before I try to go fast. It is not a real fast bike but has torque like a Baldwin Locomotive. Side car looks like fun. I am going to see about going to a gear grinders meeting and possibly joining up. Best to surround my self with people who have experience and will share.Been suudying the rule book like a mad man..Been trying to decide rigided or suspended and what happens when the wheel comes off the ground. Does it cause a speed wiggle? 13 or 14 inches off centerline is a bunch at 100+ to have a tire loading and unloading.
Thanks
Bob

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 03:12:43 AM »
I'm rigid all round and don't have a problem.  I think all the sidecars (at El Mirage anyway) have rigid sidecar wheels.  You will need some weight on the sidecar otherwise it will be nearly unrideable.  Bak 189 builds some rockets.  I'm sure he will be able to tell you the geometry needed.  I'm a bit of a duffer.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline bak189

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 12:39:40 PM »
From your post I would gather you are planning on racing with the SCTA/BNI with you sidecar outfit.
There are some minor rule differences between the BUB and SCTA/BNI rules.  I think the 10% weight rule that SCTA/BNI has on the books is a very good move.........at the present time this rule is not part of the BUB sidecar rules, however, BUB does give you the option of using a passenger in the sidecar.
Regarding your question on ridged or suspension on the chair wheel........I would go for ridged, we have tryed suspension on some of our past outfits and found ridged is the safe way to go..........................
Best of luck....and welcome to the world of LSR sidecar racing........if we all can be of some help to you
fell free to ask... 

Offline willieworld

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 01:26:45 PM »
thanks for your kind words--sidecars are fun--sheri and i are gear grinders a great club--we host the gg web site        www.thegeargrinders.com      sheri has over 1000 pics of el mirage and bonneville posted there -----    if you go there you will see when the meetings are ---we go to the march meeting---if you live more than 150 miles from el mirage you can go to just 1 meeting a year--if you live closer than 150 miles you will have to go to 3 to get voted into the club ------- if you have any questions pm me    willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline 754

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 06:30:32 PM »
If wheel was in the air other than on bumps, it would not be leaving 2 tire tracks? cirrect?

At BuB is it not 134 or 136lbs weight, as an Option, instead of rider? and is that weight considered as ADDED TO the unladen sidecar?

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 06:42:39 PM »
Close.  I'm pretty sure the weight number is 132# -- a/k/a 60 kg.  A nice and easy number - especially for those that use the metric system, as most folks (other than Americans) do.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com