Author Topic: Very fast sidecar  (Read 17850 times)

Offline 754

Re: Very fast sidecar
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2010, 12:36:27 AM »
Shoulda tossed Elmo off, in front of the spectators,  :-o   :-o

THAT woulda got everyones attention... heh..heh.. :-)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2010, 06:21:11 PM »
It's awesome to see the speeds these numerous side cars get up to with a few miles of track  :cheers:

Offline bak189

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2010, 01:37:24 PM »
Great....our man Larry Coleman (3 time AMA Sidecar Roadracing Champion and multi time LSR Record holder) is on the final ballot for the 2010 AMA Hall of Fame.............Outstanding........Congrats Larry..
Question authority.....always

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2010, 02:16:52 PM »
reply to post # 17    congrats scta the word wheel has been added to the 2010 rule book in the sidecar rules                                     WAY TO GO                                          willie buchta

Offline Rocky R

• Author/Land Speed Racing Site
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2010, 03:04:07 PM »
This is Bob's sidecar liner with Elmo hanging on for dear life. Quite a machine... You have to look real close, you can see his feet hanging off the end and just the top of his helmet.

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2010, 04:38:34 PM »
Okay, I've resisted this question because it's...well...not pleasant!  :-(  In case of a...ummm..let's go with spin!!  What keeps the "passenger"/counterweight safe?

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2010, 05:29:23 PM »
The propster would have a chute hooked to the rider :-o :?
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2010, 06:10:37 PM »
Cows.

(The rider has less distance to fall than the driver, too.)

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2010, 08:29:07 PM »
So, the only protection they have is from their cow hides?   :?   :cry:  Ok, I can understand that...so, next question...  why are their feet allowed to hang off? If they moved them at all, wouldn't that change the dynamics?

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2010, 09:17:27 PM »
So, the only protection they have is from their cow hides?   :?   :cry:  Ok, I can understand that...so, next question...  why are their feet allowed to hang off? If they moved them at all, wouldn't that change the dynamics?

Lynda

he better be a talented monkey, or they may not go as fast. :-D

Offline bak189

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2010, 11:45:46 AM »
The passenger will move some during the run....by sliding backward and/or forward depending on rear wheel spin.....his head is right next to the engine so it is easy for him to hear if traction is being broken.
The passenger is in no more danger then the driver or a solo rider.....in fact less.....it is a shorter distance to the ground..........But then as the former World Champion Roadracer Geoff Duke told the Press when they asked him about his new style leathers back in l954 ...."The plan is not to fall off"........................
In regards to the Aero using a passenger in the sidecar.......Yes, it does slow us down (tests show about
8 to 10 miles per hour) but then it would not be a sidecar without a passenger it would just be a "wheel
on a stiiiiiiiiiiick"...

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2010, 12:36:10 PM »
Thank you for the answers to my questions.  Seems there are a lot fewer monkeys than wheels on a stiiiiick!!  Smart monkeys!!

Lynda

Offline dw230

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2010, 08:46:03 PM »
" ...the word wheel has been added to the 2010 rule book..."

Willie,

The word in question is actually in the rulebook in several places. I put it in the location you mention at your request.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2010, 09:25:03 PM »
thanks dan---that section was unclear how the sidecar would be weighed---it is clear now   thanks willie buchta

Offline bak189

« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2010, 10:53:08 PM »

The 10% weight rule that SCTA/BNI now has in the book is a very good one, it makes for a safer sidecar outfit.  It also allows those 125c.c. sidecar outfits to run (used for points at El Mirage) to at least go
at a somewhat faster speed than if they had to carry the 60kg as required by AMA and FIM.......but than todate we have not seen anything smaller then 350c.c. sidecars run at the BUB.  The only thing I forsee
that could be a little bit of extra work for Tech. to weigh the complete outfit......and then check for the
10% on the sidecar wheel.