Author Topic: Treasure Trove Of LSR History Pictures  (Read 9664 times)

Offline JGMagoo

Treasure Trove Of LSR History Pictures
« on: December 29, 2008, 12:13:30 PM »
Don't know if this has been posted before, but a guy on the H.A.M.B. bought a box of old pictures at an estate sale, scanned them and posted them on H.A.M.B.

They contain a fantastic number of old Bonneville (and other) pictures going back clear into the 1930's.

Most of them are un-identified.  Some of you guys can probably identify a lot of them.

It is truly a great bunch of historic pictures and any identifying posts would be greatly appreciated by all.

Here's the link.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319789&highlight=christmas+pic

(copy and past into your browser.)

JGMagoo
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Treasure Trove Of LSR History Pictures
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 12:22:05 PM »
great pics Magoo, thanks for the link, it reminded me I had not been over there for a while...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Geo

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 12:47:31 PM »
Wow!  Very cool.

I think Glen is in one and not looking so ancient.  :-D

Geo

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 02:05:25 PM »
Great pics.   Thanks. ( That Corvette w/ canopy is too cool for it`s own good) Jerry :-)
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline aircap

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 11:48:38 PM »
I have identified many of the cars, people, and places of the pix - I could ID more of them if my many LSR & other racing books weren't buried in my Dad's garage (I'm currently moving).

I'm sure there are many folks on this forum who could continue to uncloak the histories of these pix with a little prodding. The OP still has more of these gems he hasn't scanned as of it - that will be a happy day when he does.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 08:08:48 PM »
Great pics.   Thanks. ( That Corvette w/ canopy is too cool for it`s own good) Jerry :-)

Do you have any knowledge about that Corvette?  I emailed a guy who maintains a Corvette History site in hopes that he could identify it.  It appears to be a 58-60, but other than that I'm in the dark.

RtR

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 09:19:56 PM »
Great Pictures

Thanks JGMagoo I found my favorate I have a special attachment to these little tbirds

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 10:20:11 PM »
There are a coupla really kool pics there...well, there are a lot of 'em.  But one that sticks out in my mind is of Larry Shinoda.  Apparently in addition to his design work on the Corvette Mako Shark (which became the Sting Ray) and the Boss 302 Mustang, he invented rat rods....sorta like Al Gore invented the internet and global warming.  :)  Photo is attached.

The the other is the Honest Charley car.  It looks more like it's at Daytona Beach than El Mirage, but...well, I wish I knew more about that car.  It appears to be a chopped, sectioned and channeled 38-40 Ford 2dr sedan...but???

RtR

Online Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 10:43:45 PM »
Those pictures are beautiful. They cover everything from speed runs on the sand (Daytona?) Indy, landspeed. The pictures of the Summer's brothers FWD single engine car show how small it was, Atohl Grahams car and engine, I think there a couple of Mickey's 4 motor car. I plan to take some time and save them all for additional viewing.  It would sure be interesting to know who's estate sold these truly priceless pictures.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 11:09:47 PM »
Those pictures are beautiful. They cover everything from speed runs on the sand (Daytona?) Indy, landspeed. The pictures of the Summer's brothers FWD single engine car show how small it was, Atohl Grahams car and engine, I think there a couple of Mickey's 4 motor car. I plan to take some time and save them all for additional viewing.  It would sure be interesting to know who's estate sold these truly priceless pictures.

Rex

Yeah...it really IS ossum.  Athol Graham's car didn't show up too well in those photos.  I found another one that showed it much more clearly...I think I found it thru a google search.

The Summer's Brothers' car was the Poliwog, according to folks on the HAMB.  I DID save 'em all.  Those vintage oval track photos are really kool, too. 
Did ya notice the one that was really out of place with the rest of 'em?  It was a Duesenberg supercharger.  And the Allison (I think) V12 "crate motor?"

RtR

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 08:52:39 AM »
That Duesenberg blower appears to be attached to a Duesenberg 8. Judging by the painted grill shell it`s in  a model "JN". Mind if I post that  at the A.C.D. website? Jerry
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 09:20:05 AM »
I don't mind, but ya might wanna ask "Farmer," the guy who scanned and posted it on the HAMB:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319789

RtR

Offline Billy @ AHG

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 12:20:04 PM »
Ray, I remember seeing the Honest Charley car before , I THINK , it's a Cetrion  ( you know , one of those french things ! )  No Idea what powers it .
Salt Junkie

Offline Billy @ AHG

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 12:47:59 PM »
The caption says this is a Cushman, but It's a 48 Hiawatha  Doodlebug Super, the dual controls on the Handlebars give it away !    Can you imanage selling those pictures at an estate sale ?  At least someone got them who can appreciate em' !
Salt Junkie

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 01:45:11 PM »
WOW!  I am going to start going to garage sales with my wife.... Those pictures are amazing.
Happy New Year Everyone!

Smitty
:cheers: