Author Topic: Hot rods at the Nugget photos  (Read 6061 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
Hot rods at the Nugget photos
« on: August 25, 2008, 03:46:57 PM »
I work slower than a lotta folks when it comes to getting photos on the web.  I have some shots from Sunday night's hot rod "cruise-in" at the Nugget.  http://www.chevyasylum.com/cruisin08/Welcome.html  This is the entry page for all the cruise nites and car shows I've shot this year.  The Nugget gathering is the last one in the list.

Hope ya enjoy.

RtR

hotrodladycrusr

Re: Hot rods at the Nugget photos
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 04:34:03 PM »
I guess you don't like the color purple huh?  :roll:  :cry: :wink:

Offline DavidinDurango

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 05:03:24 PM »
thanks Ray - I always enjoy your stuff.

Stay well!
DavidinDurango
Mostly Fords with "some stuff"
LSR, because it takes more than one ball to play.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 05:49:30 PM »
I guess you don't like the color purple huh?  :roll:  :cry: :wink:

Huh?  I don't understand.  Can ya clarify that a bit?

Offline Woodstock

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 06:55:05 PM »
Thanks Ray for the pics...didn't get to stop and take in the cars at the Nugget other than those that made it out to the salt.

hotrodladycrusr

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 08:25:59 PM »

Just teasing ya abit since my purple '47 Olds convertible was parked in the Nugget lot for hours on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights and you didn't take/post a photo of it. :-D

Offline UltraCarbonFiber

• www.RacingComposites.net
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 01:06:13 AM »
Can someone tell me more about this car?  Like what was it before it was modified?  I really like these for some reason.  Is it a late 20's Ford? 

Adam Weeks
Ultra Carbon Fiber
Composite Fabrication - Specializing in Vacuum Infusion Process

Here to learn!

Offline Roadsters.com

• Roadsters.com
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 02:33:21 AM »
Adam, right now the site that hosts the image in your post is down so it won't load, and times out.

If you have a copy of it stored on your hard drive, you could E-mail it to me at davemann@roadsters.com and I'll be happy to try and identify the car's origin.

Dave
http://www.roadsters.com/

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 07:54:20 AM »
A coupla quick things here:  I run the ChevyAsylum server on an old PIII box here on my DSL line.  I'm at the mercy of QWest and their ups and downs.  That line went down for a period of time last night as I slumbered blissfully.  It's (obviously) back up now.

I'd like to make a polite request of people to refrain from hot-linking to images on that server.  I have the most bandwidth that a consumer can get, which is to say, "not very much."  Images that are hot linked can really eat into that bandwidth and slow things down for everyone who wants to access the Chevy Asylum site.  If I was rich I'd do things differently.  But I ain't so I don't.  :)

The car in question appears to be a 30-31 Ford.  At least that's what the grill shell is.  The body's a roadster style, but there are a few things that make me think it started life as a coupe.  It's been channeled over the frame...it's impossible to tell what frame it is from the photo, but the wheelbase has been lengthened and sits on what appear to be 1935 wire wheels.  Motor is a flathead something.  I didn't count the studs, but it appears to be a 24-stud head & block, which would indicate a 38-48 motor, with a single carb (pretty nice grasp of the obvious, huh?) and running an alternator rather than a period correct generator.  (I'm not showing disdain for that, I have a 12V, negative ground alternator on my own 29 pickup.)

That's about all I can tell ya from looking at the photo.

RtR

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 08:07:49 AM »

Just teasing ya abit since my purple '47 Olds convertible was parked in the Nugget lot for hours on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights and you didn't take/post a photo of it. :-D

Ahhh....I see.  Well, in all honesty, the cars I didn't shoot were those that were in such bad light or were otherwise positioned such that I couldn't get a clear shot of 'em.  There were several cars I wanted to shoot, but were illuminated so harshly by the setting sun that I couldn't get a salvageable shot.  And I only made it to the Nugget on Sunday.  Nuttin personal, yanno?  That wildly flamed 40 roadster pickup was a good example.  I took numerous shots of it, but the lighting made it impossible to get a decent image that showed more than about 1/2 of the car...errrr...truck.

I looked thru the "non-keeper" photos and it wasn't there, so for whatever reason, I didn't get a shot of it.  Unfortunately, this holds true for many cars, be they rods, kustoms or race cars.  So many to choose from.  Going through the culling process and selecting which shots to use is sorta like deciding which of my children to give away.  But it's gotta be done.

Anyway, I'm still editing and culling photos (trying to get a few hundred from over 5000 is a time-consuming task) and if I find a shot of your Olds, it'll end up on the server with the SW coverage.  The teasing is taken in good humor...and if I can find it, maybe I can find something to tease ya back with.  :)

hotrodladycrusr

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 10:57:35 AM »
...and if I can find it, maybe I can find something to tease ya back with.  :)

Well if you find a shot with me or Megan doing anything stupid on, near or in Big Olds please don't post it and you will be richly rewarded with cookies. :-D

Seriously though, you probably did not shoot a photo of him as I was not in the parking lot during daylight hours.  By the time we left the Salt, got back to our room, showered, and ate, it was usually in the 9pm range when we arrived at the Nugget for the parking lot partying.  Sorry I missed meeting you.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 03:12:01 PM »
Ahhh...that explains a lot.  I'm still going thru the photos.  If I find anything "interesting" I'll see if we can negotiate for cookies.  :)

RtR

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 03:33:37 PM »
Ray - Just a quick note - Thanks for the photos.  We did not make it back in time to take a look.  My wife says hello (Lucy from Salt Talks).

Joel, Lucy and our 2 young boys were at Bonneville for the first time.
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

dwarner

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 03:42:53 PM »
I cannot believe that of all the websites you are on that you don't know Denise and Big Olds.

DW

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 09:28:56 PM »
Well, believe it.  There has been an awful gap in my life experience.  I did a bit of googling and found Denise and Big Olds on Rod and Custom's web site.

I recognized the car immediately.  But alas and alack (or a lack of lass) I didn't get any pictures of it.  :( I'll definitely fix that situation next year.

RtR