Author Topic: landracing.com members results  (Read 6681 times)

Offline lvsalt

• http://www.dcwaterjet.com
landracing.com members results
« on: August 23, 2008, 10:51:53 PM »
 #549 DCWATERJET Z

Goal was 225mph for a red hat. Learned car gets very light at 220mph.spun the car at 222mph between the 3 and 4 mile. will add MORE weight for next year.

Backed off on the tuneup to stay safe and got a record at 202mph. F/BFMS

nice to talk to people at Salt talks and put faces with names.

Hope everyones goals were reached. see you next year

Gary Cole
Gary Cole     DCWATERJET Z

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: landracing.com members results
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 10:57:38 PM »
Nancy and I put in a bunch of runs on our "street" bike -- and had Debbie and Todd Dross ride it and ride it and get their SCTA licenses upgraded to "B".  We had a fine time at Salt Talks -- and had the pleasure of seeing folks wearing the brand-new landracing.com shirts and putting the brand-new landracing.com bumper stickers on thier cars.

We had fun setting up the place, look forward to tearing down what's left of it tomorrow, and even the porta-potties were a -- were a -- were okay.

Good to meet all of those folks that came up to introduce themselves to us.  It was great...  See you again soon, right?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Freud

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 11:10:20 PM »
HOSPITALITY is spelled............Wennenberg.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 11:12:29 PM »
Langlo's qualified in the first mile and clicked it because of no tach. Chute out and pulling off before the second mile.

DAMNED IMPRESSIVE !!

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 11:33:03 PM »
I've been penetrated by an administrator.

FerD
Since '63

McRat

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 12:51:44 PM »
Congrats to all!! 

My earlier username was MCR, but I closed that name and restarted under my "normal" nickname - McRat.  We are Duramax Diesel truck racers, who sled pull and drag race with pickups.

We are new to LSR racing, and getting the truck ready did not start until about 2 months ago.  We didn't get half the work we wanted done, and were still working on the truck when we arrived.  We didn't get the parachute done, window clips, or roof rails, so we were limited to 175mph in any case.  But my McGyver window net that was done at the track put a 150mph cap on us at first.

First pass was done at the special short course on an open record for B/DT class.  The rear tires spun violently ever time we came up on the charger, and didn't settle until about 120 in sixth gear (Allison automatic).  It ran easily at ~150 with very little boost.  So we spent the night in impound, and ran the regular short course in the morning, with nearly identical outcome.  So we established the record at about 148 to start.

Now we visited the Deist truck and found a larger net and better clasp.  Those Summit Racing belt buckle clasps are not very good.  It was failing quickly under tension.

We finally got the new window net done with the help of Billy, Deist, and Lynn Goodfellow and were given the go to 175mph.  First pass on Wednesday got us a peak of 172.xx, but it was hard to maintain speed stable.  While I could have programmed in a speed limiter, I didn't think that would be any fun.  So we spent Wednesday night in impound again. 

Thursday morning I was strapped in ready to go when a big accident happened on the long course.  If I didn't have butterflies before, I had them now!  The truck was very stable at 175, but getting there was the problem due to the charger curve.  I finally got the start, and tried to "baby" it through the gears to keep the rear in line.  It ran about 167? on the 1-2, then 174.xx on the 2.25, and then the engine started to lose power.  I popped it in neutral, and it shut off at about 160 and coasted.  I could smell fuel very strong and saw wisps of white from the hood.  So I pulled left into the emergency area and bailed out.  No fire, but alot of fuel on the passenger exhaust manifold.  We are thinking cracked injector body, but the truck will not start.

The math worked out to a 166.850mph 1-2 mile record for B/DT in a production 4x4 3/4ton diesel pickup. (driven in 2WD).  We believe this to be the fastest true production diesel pickup running on pump fuel.  It is still street driven.  Original engine, bore/stroke, original trans, axles, body, no aero whatsoever but a mail-order bed cover.  Even the OnStar and XM stereo antennas were present.  Our next effort will be to go past 200mph in it with the appropriate equipment.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 12:20:47 AM by McRat »

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 04:12:23 PM »
We had a pretty successfull week. With the tire and rear suspension changes the car drove like it was on rails ( with the exception of driving through some tire spin). Had some shifter issues all week and missed a few gears but still put the Fairlane up to 211. I know it has more in it. I never really ran it up to max rpm and short shifted it all week. Have had the record since Wednesday but I think it was bumped this morning. Have to go back in Oct to see what it can do and have Celia finish licensing up.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 05:05:03 PM »
Hooley upped the record to 249.9 MPH with an exit speed of 253 MPH.  He got his AA license.  That was our objectives and so we packed up, made the 1400 mile trip home, and then we went drag racing on Saturday at the HAMB Drags.  A great week.  I can not say thank you enough to all of the workers who make Speedweek such a great event. 

Maybe Sumner will add to the post with a better description of our runs.

John
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline Freud

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 06:05:04 PM »
Hooley, I am so glad I left your pits when I did. Now I feel comfortable that I didn't mess up the time u
needed to accomplish a great goal. Way to go "AA"

FREUD
Since '63

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 10:33:12 PM »
We had a great week. Monday I made three licensing passes and got my B license. Tuesday Imade one pass ran 188+ and on the rev limit at the 2. Changed sprockets and made two 192+ runs on the short course Wed. Played with the Power Commander and made one long course run of 190, it was pretty slick. At that point we figured we were out of horspower so headed home Fri. morning. All in all we had a great week, the bike performed flawlessly, ran 2 mph faster than our greatest expectations. Met lots of really good people. Cant wait til next year. My congratulations to everyone who set records, especially Shane. His bike was fantastic, raised the bar in my class. See ya next year Shane :evil:

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline krusty

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 10:57:32 PM »
My driver, Bob Blakely, made a "cross-over licensing (ECTA "C") and rookie pass of 181 (oops!)  on the specialty course on Monday in our borrowed chassis (our engine) #906 C (not A as in the entry) GMR with a slight overrev in the mile. All looked good, however, so we ran a  B license pass Tuesday - but it didn't pull at all past 6100.Still ran 185. Wednesday I pulled the heads (GM V8 with 23* Pontiac heads) and found intake valve imprints an #2,4,6,7&8 pistons. Luckily Chapman Cylinder Heads is in SLC so off I went. Mike Lane at Chapman is a ruler! He stayed late and we  "borrowed" some customer parts and replaced 15 slightly bent valves with new and trued the mating surface, recut the seats, and shimmed the rocker pedastals .075" for the slightly longer valves. Didn 't get pushrods till Thurs. afternoon and by the time we got the valves lashed, the wind had closed the course. Nervously, we went for an A license pass on the long course Friday and ran 216.792! Driver said the engine pulled much better! Crew member ( and fellow landracing.com member) Hans Blom tried an A license pass Friday afternoon but 3rd gear blew and that was our Speedweek. Thanks to all the workers and our fellow competitors. I was too damn busy to meet people, which I hope to rectify next year.    vic

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 11:46:59 PM »
First run was a shakedown for the car.....I didnt know if I had in fact fixed the wild handling issue of last year.

H/FMS

Pulled just under 150 for my first run....this sucked for me because I had intended to get my C license on the first run. I can blame the GPS (reading hot) but what do ya do right.

Return run did 167. lifted a bit at the 1\4 because the GPS was reading 171 and didn’t want to go over....but enough to test the car more at higher speeds and get my C.

We built the motor for spray but didn’t have time to get the system in and tweaked before SW.
The motor is making 250 @ 600' but is easily capable of making 375+ with juice. I was disappointed that I didn’t have time to get the No2 set up...I am confident that the car would of pulled 180 without spray and 200+ with.

The car had just a bit of drift around 80 (I think it was just a little cross wind because it was only the first run and for a few seconds) but then kept in line and steered predictably and straight.

Our pit guy Bill (drove up from Indiana) had an emergency and had to leave today. Drove straight through back home...sometimes S happens….he let his laptop stay so we could change curves. Thanks BILL!

Funny thing is that on our way to the salt I honked at a guy headed to the salt. He ended up helping us out the remainder of the trip. Turns out to be a god send for us.....Mac....I can’t say enough about how much we appreciate what you did.

Now it was my pops turn in the H/GMS.....

Everything was going great.....he was suited and ready....push to about 35....puts in gear....MOTOR DIES!!!!!

I was pissed because I was SURE it was something he did.
Started car on return road and ran like a timex.

Put car back in line......again as soon as he puts it in gear....flat on its arse!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was the bad time......

Looked over the car till the evening wind said we should go..... but we found that the computer would shut off when it was put in gear....from the air shifter or from a manual shift (with stick) from N to 1st or N to 2nd......bad.

Didnt sleep much because of the issue....couldnt put my finger on it.

Previously had noticed a "ghost" that every now and again would look up and see a guy just watching us @ about 20'....once in line.....once in impound.....and again when we were working on the electrical problem in our pits. He wouldn’t say a thing....just watch for a while and then disappear.

While we were working on the electrical problem he sees what we are doing and comes over to have a look. After a while he is elbows deep in the car helping out.....and had what seemed to be a more than average grasp on auto electrics (turns out he is a chassis electrician for the Renault F1 team).

After pulling the FI controllers, sensors, computers, relays and everything else that we could find I was to the point of replacing the entire harness with the backup (this would be bad because I had to extend the primary dash cable by soldering the 30+ wires and whatnot). By pure accident we found that if I moved the ECU just right the dash would come back on.....a few more times and I could hear a spark.....the spark was coming from a spade connector that is the primary ground to the ECU.

TUrns out that the computer would draw much more current when in gear and the melted connection could not handle the load. After soldering the connection the thing was back on the road.

My pops first run he lifted when the GPS read 176.....the clock read 169.7.
THe next day he was looking directly into the sun and could not see the tach or GPS and pulled a weak 161 but set the record @ 165.4. (from 151).

This turns out to be OK because the motor was running lean....and is the only reason I did not pull the car around to make a 5 mile qualifying attempt and to see what the car could really do.

Here is a pic of the #2 plug....

I wanted to especially thank Mac and Andy for going above and beyond to help us out being down on crew. And a SUPER BIG thanks to an unnamed person who went above and beyond to help me with the nose design….without your guidance the car would likely ended up on its roof.

Thanks for everyone that came up to talk, I was really happy to put faces to the names.

Turns out to of been a really good SW for us and already working on getting the blower motor ready. It is my goal to get the car +230 next year and in the future start smelling arond G and F.

-JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Bville701

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 03:08:05 AM »
New car, just doing some liscensing runs on the 701 LeFevers & Jesel C/GMR.

Everything worked great!!! We were able to get my brother up to his B liscense, and will add weight to the car and go for the record next year.

Thanks to "ALL" the volunteers who made this Speed Week a great success!!! The crew from car 701 appreciates all of your dedication and hard work!!! It means a lot to us, and made this trip to Speed Week (1st time with new car that we built) a great one. Thanks again!!!

Ryan LeFevers and crew for car 701
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 06:44:10 AM »
Just got in!!!!!!!  If the days arent correct---it is either fatigue, old age, or BOTH!!!!!!!

This will be breif.  We did a MAJOR redo on the Ratical---new nose, new wheelbase, new tail configrigation, new wiring, new intake system, new rear axel, extensive changes to the frame---- virtually every thing---only one skin panel and the canopy are unchanged... We got out of Phoenix one day late and had went through inspection on Tu.  Inspections on 2nd day on only happen after all record certifications---we finished at 1:00pm had the 4 minor corrections done by 2:00 and garnered the necessary sigs. by 7:00 pm....with auth. to do a not to exceed 225 pass.

Get in line on wed---chute popped right off line----tured out berfore the 2---no time---back to the pitts---made several more minor new car corrections---
Get in line on thr... elbow got into the starter button---Andy jumped out of push truck and cut off the Main---pushed back to the Pits and discoverd some more new car type leaks and such---Terry sucested we go over to the short course---which has virtually no wait---we did a full short couse runn bracketting 200...get signed off to do a unlimed run.

Check car over---get in line run around 1:30-  the car does't come off the push truck very well----fairly lazy untill 4000 rpm--upper 240 1/4 time---finally feel confident enough to nail it about the 3----could not belive we picked up 20 in the last mile for a 295 with a 3 exit speed first NA gas lakester to 300.---wow---in inpound we find out just how lucky we were---severly things a loose 2 --could easily have KILLED the eng.

There were no other AA/GL in inpound so I felt no pressure to run early---we tried to run very near the end to let the sun angle improve for better visibilty..we agin stumbled off the truck but Andy stayed in the push truck throttle and we got a second push an finally pulled away---we are very strong from 4900 up----we shift at 8 falls back to low 4s---had a 256 1/4 best ever---with a 303.9 in final mile for a 299.9 red hat---we feel very fortunate---there were 3 AA/GL in inpound  one night, next morning one bumped the record to 276.---got a hat and left--Hammons new Lakester bumped it to 280 40 minutes later and left the next day.
We were fortunate enough qualify on FRi. and back it up on Sat as the first NA Gas to 3 and maybe first NA gas or fuel.  As the old cournty singer said--You can be anthing you want to be in America---you just have to work for it.---

Some one on this site has a quote "We are here to Break something---record or parts"---the first 5 times we broke parts---we almost broke parts this week---but we got lucky and caught several things just before they broke and we feel very fortunate to make the first 3 passes and almost the first 3 record!!!!!!!!!!  Last year we were the one who could not back it up and had the long sad, soul searching ride home this year its was different.   I had to keep pinching my self---but we were actually pulling a 300 MPH car back there on the trailer...Would not have been possible with out an understanding wife---dedicated help from Crew Chief Andy Hellmandollar, crew people
Dave H and Joey D, and a special thanks to Terry Mouer who crewed a made the special hubs which ELIMINATED the Scru Radius issue that caused us so much problems in the past.,

I want to thank all of the dilligent people who volunteer their time so we may presue this wonderfully challanging sport.

A VERY gratefull red hatter

Wm. T. (Sparky) Smith

Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless Two

• newest member of the 199.9 club :)
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 09:29:55 AM »
First, a big shout out to Stainless and Speed Limit 1000, James, Jeremy, Nick, and Trey,

Our previous outing, we had 10 passes over 200, with a 202 and change as a fast pass.

With some streamlining changes from last year, we bumped the record to 202 and change from the very frustrating 199.977.  Add a gearing change, and we booked a pass at 205.

After a couple of issues with wheelspin, and running a little fat, we finally requalified with a 207 middle mile, and a 208 last mile.

Final day of record runs, with the kinks worked out, I had a first time accomplishment...a timing ticket that had every time over 200mph :)

Backed up the record with a 208 in the middle, and a 209 in the last mile for a new record of 208.959.

Finally got in to the 205mph club :) (jk) the 200 mph club and now a very proud owner of a red hat!!!!!!!

Great fun was had by all, my brother set a new personal best time on the bike, we were able to recruit my very good friend jeremy into the BNI, and even gave him a chance to make a rookie pass on the bike.  Our friend Todd made a nice run on the special course, almost requalifying against the 202 record :) and we all had the pleasure of meeting his better half, Deb(DahMurf) :)

As always, the event ran smoothly due to the fine efforts of staff and volunteers.  I speak for the whole team when i say that without their help, this event would not be the success that it has consistently been year after year.

Congrats to all who accomplished their goals this year!

Finally, a prayer for the quick recovery of a fine racer, a friend, and an inspiration to me, who had a mishap around 240mph.  Jason we are all looking forward to seeing you up and running again soon.  Godspeed and keep the wind in your face :)

« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 09:43:20 AM by Stainless1 »
Look at my new RED HAT!!!!

#278 1000CC APS-G 208.959MPH record
209.093 mph best time

pit bitch to #1000 Bockscar

Proud to be a Texan!  in San Antonio