7 (14.6%)
Mike's Top 1 Ack Attack
10 (20.8%)
Max's Vincent Black Lightning
10 (20.8%)
Other
5 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: 2008 Bub Meet  (Read 13142 times)

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: 2008 Bub Meet
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2008, 09:38:19 PM »
Even those at the bottom of the list look up to you.  Not many have been over 250.  Not many have been brave enough to try.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2008, 09:57:18 PM »
There are some up-dates to the BUB event posted on their web site.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2008, 10:07:04 PM »
a little bit askew (sp?) of the subject, but this afternoon, independent to this discussion, I wuz clearing out lint from my pictures file and came across these renderings which I hope will post and hope won't label me as a Rat-poster.

I added a REAL LIFE sidehack entry, too, in fairness to real racersl
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 10:08:46 PM by interested bystander »
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2008, 10:14:46 PM »
IB, if it is any consolation, that yellow hack looks just like Max's only different....  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

bak189

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2008, 10:37:23 PM »
Would you believe I am getting calls on my answering machine telling me to LIGHTEN up on my friend, John.............................................................
I can't believe it......Ok. from now on all you get from me is NOTHING..................................................
Bye....Bye.........................................................................

P.S. Wondering if Kent and Jack got phone calls?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2008, 11:08:38 PM »
From your/his friend Kaz??? 

Hey this is all for fun guys....  :|  lighten up
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Super Kaz

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2008, 12:39:57 AM »
You know John, you are a wonderfull person....no
matter what Bob M and Kent R say about you.....
you are my HERO....between Kaz and me you have at least 2 friends............................................................

No, I will still be running the Busa, but I did have better luck with the Kawa.............................................

Sound like 2005 was a good year for you, John
what does 2008 look like............Oh, sorry you need to get a job.......can you Tig-weld?????
We do love you John...... me and Kaz..........................

Thanks Big Daddy :wink:If you want to Be The Best ThaTS WHO YOU LEArn from and Man o'man has John taught me the school of Hard knocks also let me use his#1 and Record setting Side car for my Rookie run 8-)!He did WARN ME NOT TO SCREW Up and I must admit he's right :oops:!Some say he's cocky or arrogant,but If I had 1/10the of the Records he does my Head would never fit in my Helmet :evil:Love Him or Hate Him he is the Man-aka The Worlds Fastest,and has been a very big Inspiration in  my LSR Endeavor's :-D! Bac189 IF YOU EVER NEED A HAND OUT THERE PLEASE JUST ASK :mrgreen:! I'm working my hands off to be ready for the July 20TH Meet :?! But I need a the wisdom I can get 8-).

Offline jl222

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2008, 02:37:43 AM »
Sumner, is right that at least the cost of fuel, hotels, food is somewhat offset by the price monies they pay at the BUB all M/C Trials...........
.........when is the last time you could make any money racing LSR???????
 John, was it 2006 when you left the BUB Trials
with $10.000?............not a bad payday!!!!!..............

Go to the BUB site and look at the money that is being payed out for 2008......some of it by class sponsors....but most out of Denis Mannings pocket.........when you see him tell him THANKS.
Hopefully this year Denis will break even...........

The best thing about prize money [especially if you have a good tax man] you can write off all your expences and cost of build-truck- holtels- food-gas. Even if their is no prize money [and if you have a business you can do the same through addvertising] check with your tax guy. Wish SCTA offered some cash prizes but would probably open a can of worms.

JL222
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 03:00:20 AM by jl222 »

Offline Flying Kiwi

• New folks
    • http://www.goflyingkiwi.co.nz
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2008, 03:52:11 PM »
HI to all the other sidecar nuts out there!

I spoke to Craig a few days ago and he is having a few last minute issues but remains confident that he will make it to the salt for the BUB event, which is great because 5 of us are flying out to Bonneville from New Zealand to help him do it, I am really looking forward to seeing our old bike again and seeing it achieve the speed that we designed it reach, i couldn't think of a better person to take our World Record home and i will help him as much as i can.
It has been a dream of mine to get to the salt for as long as i can remember, and it will be a really special moment for all of us to see the Flying Kiwi run on the salt, the country road that we used to set the record in New Zealand was only a meter wider than the bike and lined with trees and while it was long enough at 6kms it was ultimately the width that stopped us going faster than 272kmh, i can only dream of what we would have achieved with a course like Bonneville.
I am excited by the interest in the sidecar record this year, i met John Renwick in NZ in 2006 and i believe that it was seeing our bike that inspired him to build a sidecar streamliner in the first place, he has done a fantastic job building his liner and i wish him and his team all the best, i am sure that we will see the 200mph barrier be reached this year and having several teams going for it makes it all the more interesting, the other thing that really inspires me is the knowledge that i will be following in the footsteps of some of the people that i admire most in the world, namely Burt Munro and Bob Burns, it has taken just under 7 years from the inception of the Flying Kiwi project to get to this point and i will be a very proud Kiwi when i do finally get onto the salt.
I would also like to say a warm thank you to Bob Bakker for all the help and advice he gave me in the early stages of the project and for his offer of a ride on his Kawasaki this year, to actually get a ride on the salt is going to be one of the highlights of my life and i am really excited about it.
On behalf of all the 530 people here in NZ that helped to build the Flying Kiwi i would like to wish all the rest of you the very best of luck for the BUB this year, if you are passing Craigs pit please call in and say hallo!
Beat Regards to you all
Phil Garrett
Flying Kiwi Project Director

Speed Kills...go faster
Never take no for an answer and never give up.
If you really believe in what you are doing and youre really keen then you will succeed.
It is as simple as that.
Peter Blake.

bak189

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2008, 04:29:14 PM »
Phil, I look forward to seeing you and your mates on the salt................I think this will be a banner year for sidecars.....3 streamliners (maybe more)
and around 4 to 6 "normal" sidecars in various displacment classes............it should be a outstanding BUB Meet...................................................

Offline Flying Kiwi

• New folks
    • http://www.goflyingkiwi.co.nz
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2008, 04:48:10 PM »
a little bit askew (sp?) of the subject, but this afternoon, independent to this discussion, I wuz clearing out lint from my pictures file and came across these renderings which I hope will post and hope won't label me as a Rat-poster.

I added a REAL LIFE sidehack entry, too, in fairness to real racersl

Seeing this picture made me laugh, this is the first render of 27 that we produced when we were designing the Flying Kiwi, it looks so strange now but at the time we knew no better as there was no precedent for us to follow, after the 27 design stages we went on to do 100 wind tunnel tests before we ended up with the shape we finally used, i can post some of the other equally strange designs if you are interested!
thanks for the chuckle!
Phil Garrett
Never take no for an answer and never give up.
If you really believe in what you are doing and youre really keen then you will succeed.
It is as simple as that.
Peter Blake.