Author Topic: Prop driven vehicles  (Read 12903 times)

Ratliff

Prop driven vehicles
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 03:46:09 PM »
. . . there is not the slightest thing theoretical about the potential performance of prop-driven cars.
Except everything, beyond going 40-50 mph.

Explain to me the assumptions you made that lead you to believe that number actually told you anything meaningful.

Offline tortoise

Prop driven vehicles
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 04:10:51 PM »
Explain to me the assumptions you made that lead you to believe that number actually told you anything meaningful.
That desotoman was not lying, or misinformed. Was I mistaken?

Ratliff

Prop driven vehicles
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 04:12:57 PM »
That desotoman was not lying, or misinformed. Was I mistaken?

I was mistaken that I thought we were talking about the propster specifically, or prop-driven cars in general.

Offline tortoise

Prop driven vehicles
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 04:19:24 PM »
I should have added that I assumed that had there been a higher speed recorded for a prop-driven car, you would surely have told us about it. Am I mistaken in this assumption?

Ratliff

Prop driven vehicles
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 04:21:50 PM »
I should have added that I assumed that had there been a higher speed recorded for a prop-driven car, you would surely have told us about it. Am I mistaken in this assumption?

Well, there was that prop-driven railcar the size of a school bus that went 140 mph back in 1931.

Offline tortoise

Prop driven vehicles
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 04:30:32 PM »
My point was that your statement ". . . there is not the slightest thing theoretical about the potential performance of prop-driven cars." Is nonsensical on its face. A potential performance is by its nature theoretical until it is actual.

Ratliff

Prop driven vehicles
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2008, 04:34:02 PM »
My point was that your statement ". . . there is not the slightest thing theoretical about the potential performance of prop-driven cars." Is nonsensical on its face. A potential performance is by its nature theoretical until it is actual.

140 mph by the railcar is pretty actual.

The vehicle in the video below is not on water, is not a hovercraft, and has no wheels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CpcButG0qU

Below are good videos of prop-driven acceleration.

http://southernairboat.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/788/ppuser/123

http://southernairboat.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/20481/ppuser/123

« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 05:02:22 PM by Ratliff »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Prop driven vehicles
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2008, 04:52:48 PM »
140 mph by the railcar is pretty actual.
Yes it is. Are you saying that the potential performance of prop-driven cars is 140 mph? If a railcar is a car, then prop-driven cars can potentially go 140 mph. Somehow, I don't think that was what you meant to tell us.

What do you really think the potential speed of a prop-driven car is? (theoretically)

This was moved here,

Sum

Ratliff

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2008, 05:14:32 PM »

Ratliff

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 05:23:49 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66q4awWPArM

Qualifying 9th with a lap of 400 mph flat at the 1990 Reno air races, the Pond Racer, with a total displacement of 5.6 liters, is both the smallest cubic inch airplane to go 400 mph and the smallest cubic inch vehicle to go 400 mph on automotive engines.

Ratliff

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 05:33:25 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=194UlnSpBBo

328 mph lap at sea level in 1929.

Offline tortoise

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 06:03:55 PM »
All very well, Mr. Ratliff. It is agreed that a propeller-driven car could go pretty fast, but probably not as fast as Thrust SSC.

Do you intend to build a faster propster? Breaking even 100 mph would make you the "world record" holder, according to what you've shown us.

Ratliff

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 06:08:33 PM »
All very well, Mr. Ratliff. It is agreed that a propeller-driven car could go pretty fast, but probably not as fast as Thrust SSC.

Do you intend to build a faster propster? Breaking even 100 mph would make you the "world record" holder, according to what you've shown us.

All records are made to be broken.

While just about nobody in SCTA racing is familiar with jet or rocket engines, everyone understands piston engines.

It would be satisfying to see a general acknowledgement that are ways for piston engine cars at the dry lakes or Bonneville to accelerate like dragsters.

John Romero

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2008, 06:38:55 PM »
It would be satisfying to see a general acknowledgement that are ways for piston engine cars at the dry lakes or Bonneville to accelerate like dragsters.

Junior Dragsters or Top Fuel Dragsters?

A Junior Dragster can record a 1.5 second 60' time.
A Top Fuel Dragster can record a 0.85 second 60' time.

Both are pretty dang fast accelerations. I have no doubt that a big engine and a big prop will put you back in the seat in any vehicle, land, sea or air but accelerate like dragsters?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 08:46:53 PM by John Romero »

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2008, 07:05:28 PM »
This is to all you self centered do-gooders.  I wonder how many of you who like to downgrade Franklin are the same ones who put Jon Amo over the edge with threats to pull your sponsorship money unless Jack was banned.  I know who you are and so do many others.  Who the hell are you to pass judgement on someone else without looking in the mirror.  I too have had run ins with Franklin on another site, but this is a new regime where all is forgiven.  Tom, you are going to be recieving a p.m. from me.  You guys make me want to puke.............Bob
Bob Drury