Author Topic: 2 Club minimums and membership  (Read 6426 times)

Offline roadsterswap

2 Club minimums and membership
« on: April 03, 2008, 09:02:37 PM »
I am interested in finding out how many people were denied entry into the 2 club because of  minimums.

dwarner

Re: 2 Club minimums and membership
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 09:27:49 PM »
How about how many worked their asses off to proudly make the minimum?

DW

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 09:46:25 PM »
Roadster --

I can't think of anyone who's beeen denied entry into the club that has met the requirements.

Take a good look at how the minimums work and you'll understand why they are what they are.

I admit that I had a jacket made up years before I got in the club.  It showed my speed for the A license, and the class.  It was over 200, and over the speed I later had when I got in the club, but the record was a good 35-40 MPH over what I did (in the same car).  I was proud of going 200+, but knew I shouldn't be in the "club".

I know you pretty well and believe that you'll catch the concept.

See you in a month.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

dwarner

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 09:48:03 PM »
I should have added that to my knowledge, that once a minimum has been exceed club entry has not be withheld.

DW

Offline Freud

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 11:38:48 PM »
Some people must really loath the departed Tom Ruddy.
He didn't have to exceed a minimum.
Jess Thomas only raised the record by 000.01 MPH.
Maybe he should surrender his hat.
Damned Minimums.

FREUD
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 04:39:00 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline nebulous

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 12:15:55 AM »

DW   Hey Dan Why should they have to?

Can you tell who works hard, and who doesen't? Suzann Roberts, Connie Biver, Fred Guljas, some lazy people Who should try harder right! I wear my 2 button with pride, you bet! I got it just like the Grant Piston Ring sponsored Club rules required! (tradition). The Old 2 club was good enough, it didn't need "infrastructure" proffit and loss columns, and a secret handshake! It was recognition of an indeviduals achievment. Period! Jack
Jack Costella   
"Records are set by effort, not by the stroke of a pen!"

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 12:26:05 AM »

DW   Hey Dan Why should they have to?

Can you tell who works hard, and who doesen't? Suzann Roberts, Connie Biver, Fred Guljas, some lazy people Who should try harder right! I wear my 2 button with pride, you bet! I got it just like the Grant Piston Ring sponsored Club rules required! (tradition). The Old 2 club was good enough, it didn't need "infrastructure" proffit and loss columns, and a secret handshake! It was recognition of an indeviduals achievment. Period! Jack

Sounds good to me........... lets get back to the way it's suppose to be.

You send a letter (or telegram) to the FIA with your intentions to set a land speed record. Then you pay for the AAA or even USAC to set up and time your runs so you can submit them to the FIA for approval. You then ask the BLM for premission to run on the salt. You make a record attempt then make a return run in less than 1 hour. After that you can send out press releases stating your accomplishment if successful.

Who needs the 2 club?
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline jl222

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 01:50:20 AM »
  Roadsterswap
      We hold a record at 229mph + AAgas altered. No two club as the minimum was 245. But i am not
complaining as a C gas altered has gone over 300. In realty if their was no minimum a car with 300mph
potential could get 2 or three people in the two club a year if they had an A license.

One year we ran 235 and went to impound were we were informed that even if we averaged over the 245
minimum we would not be eligible for the two club. You have to qualify over their minimum. We have run 288+
with this car and i believe they were worried we would be in the record book with a high speed "like 261"with
no two club and 16 mph over the minimum. This could still happen but as far as my 245 minimum i think its fair.
    We built this car to go 300 not to get people into the 200 mph club. Not like some people i have read about. So its petal to the metal on every run.
     JL222

« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 02:51:24 PM by jl222 »

Offline nebulous

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 04:16:24 AM »
We built this car to go 300 not to get people into the 200 mph club. Not like some people i have read about. So its petal to the metal on every run.
     JL222

Man you put a lot of great effort in going fast. I worry about the two club losing its great legacy by worring more about how something is done,than awarding an indevidual his just due! Why should it matter how someone sets a record over 200mph? They did it and a whole bunch of people haven't. and thats OK!
Jack Costella   
"Records are set by effort, not by the stroke of a pen!"

Offline SteveM

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 08:57:05 AM »
Newbie here with a question - are the "minimums" posted in the SCTA rulebook?  I just got my rulebook last week and have been trying to read and absorb it.  I have seen many of the records, but don't remember seeing any minimums posted.  Perhaps I just haven't looked in the right place yet.

SteveM.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

landracing

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 09:11:07 AM »
No, the minimums are put out by the 200 mph club. The 200 MPH Club is seperate from the SCTA-BNI.
Goto http://www.bonneville200mph.org/

Jon

Offline GH

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 10:35:19 AM »
JL, as you know, I am also running AA/BGALT, I have no problem with the minimums set by the club. If you want to play in somebodys yard and sandbox, you have to go by their rules.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 11:34:08 AM »
JL, as you know, I am also running AA/BGALT, I have no problem with the minimums set by the club. If you want to play in somebodys yard and sandbox, you have to go by their rules.

I don't think that was a complaint.  At the time the we did not know about the minimum, and as long as you know the rules as you enter the sandbox its all good. :-D

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 01:05:07 PM »

the problem is: the minimums were not announced until after the meet, i believe it was 1990, had begun.

so, in the case of the rules for the sandbox: the 200 mph club entered scta's sandbox, brought their own set of rules and said: "tough $#?+!  we are the gordon hoyt/larry volk 200 mph club and we make our own rules.  we now have minimums and you have to live by them.  don't like it?  go home!  we are elitists and don't need you!"

since everybody in the 200 mph club, except for a small handful, is afraid to rock the boat in fear that their membership might be revoked nobody will stand up for this.  besides: why should they care?  they have their beloved hat, which i no longer own or even care to wear.  anyone still trying to earn that membership is scared to death to say something against the club in fear that their membership will be denied.

so, the 200 mph club, of which i used to fantasize about being a member, is now just another club.

membership in a club that has no integrity is nothing to be proud of!
gregory w. gillette
aka: monty wolf (not monte wolfe)

"fear is never boring!"

read all about it: http://montywolf.blogspot.com/

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 02:07:47 PM »
Obviously there is a lot of frustration about this subject and I can see why.  There are some (technically) soft records out there at Bville.  A and AA blown gas altered are very soft.  It does make sense to set minimums that are still attainable and still below the records for B, C and D blown gas altered.  The problem lies in the old system of setting a record over 200 and getting in the 2 club.  Who's falt is it that no one has set good records in these two cases?  The racers in that class, our car being one of them.  We know it isn't easy going two ways to get the record, hell we've been trying to go 300 for almost 20 years.  It is too bad that someone had to change the way things used to be.  I think that the dirty two club is more prestigious than Bville anyway.  We have our hats there.   :-D :-D