Author Topic: 2 Club minimums and membership  (Read 6428 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: 2 Club minimums and membership
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 03:30:38 PM »
Guys---we need to stay in the spirit of the FORUM---please post accordingly!!!!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline DallasV

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 03:53:33 PM »
Yes please stay in the spirit of the forum or your 200 MPH club membership shall be REVOKED
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 03:56:48 PM »
Yes please stay in the spirit of the forum or your 200 MPH club membership shall be REVOKED

careful!  you'll run the risk of having your posts deleted too!
gregory w. gillette
aka: monty wolf (not monte wolfe)

"fear is never boring!"

read all about it: http://montywolf.blogspot.com/

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »
i just looked at the minimuns --i saw one at 300 mph  and some of the pushrod minimuns are higher than the non pushrod records there is something wrong with that picture--you can use whatever words you want to justify it but it looks like the old members are trying to keep it to themselves (the fewer the members the more exclusive)  been there -done that -bought the tee shirt)  AND ive seen some warnings on this site about peoples openions  --i may not agree with you but i will fight for your right to say whatever you want -- just some thoughts  sorry about the spelling    willie buchta

Offline Freud

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 04:28:59 PM »
When the 2 Club was established, the engines were flatheads, 4 bangers with overhead valves, GMC's and finally the hemis. By comparison 200 MPH today is a lark. Motorcycles approach 200 mph off the shelf. Door slammers go over 300. If the three pass record requirement was before your time, you have no idea of the added difficulty that generated. I know, the salt condition and time restrictions added to eliminating the third pass. It also greatly reduced the need for durability that in many instances isn't even achieved just making 2 passes.
If a person choses to run in a class where low speeds are records and they feel that their rewards are in the area of nostalgia, it would leave them outside of the window of accomplishments rewarded by the 2 Club. With todays technology, the availability of dynos, electronics, carb and injector technology, mega flame ignitions, chassis dynos and better metallurgy, it seems to me that the Red Hat should start at 250 MPH.
There may be some classes where just barely above 200 is credible but in a general sense, to approach the difficulty that was faced by a car, crew or driver in the past, minimums make sense.

FREUD
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 05:40:19 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2008, 04:51:17 PM »
I firmly believe that everyone who is trying for a record, knows where it really should be given today's standards. When Ed and I first started, the record was 229. We knew that it should have really been up around 300 so that's what we built for and kept running that class till it was up there. However we were quite excited and humbled when Ed made it in the club at 260 and I at 280. I have never ever thought that anyone in the club wanted to restrict more members. I believe however that many feel that it's a high standard and want to keep it that way. To all who make the stardard, WELCOME. I don't feel that having more members cheapens the club. It's numbers and new members that strengthen the club and the commraderie.

landracing

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2008, 07:11:55 PM »
I think most have said their piece.

Bottom line is If you don't agree with a minimum then the 200 Club has openly said, put it in writing and submit it to the board and they will review it.

Jon

dwarner

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 09:19:57 AM »
If I may, I would like to add a final comment to the thread. Mentioned on page 1 by John L was the "must qualify on the minimum to be considered for membership." That requirement disappeared many years ago. The average is the standard on which the membership is based.

DW