Author Topic: North American Eagle  (Read 18251 times)

Offline Jimmy Neutron

• New folks
Re: North American Eagle
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2007, 10:47:26 PM »
 98% complete huh... I wish! How we found it a little less than a year ago. Oh and to who ever made the remark about aircraft guys having a finger in LSR. Do a bunch of LSR people you know have any knowledge about going supersonic? In fact come on over it sounds like you have something to offer Eric and the rest of the crew. Sorry for the flame, but I think that crew has been through enough in the past few months for you to tell us all how easy it all was, and how you would have done it differently. 98%...hah!

Michael Town
Some Aircraft Guy

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2007, 11:19:20 PM »
When was the reunion Monday the 15th?

Is the Steve Fossett car still there this weekend 20th? and North American Eagle?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 11:22:53 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2007, 12:28:53 AM »
hey post hi jackers.... any idea of what happened to the eagle guys?

kent

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2007, 03:33:55 AM »
98 %.......2 % is reassemble
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 04:01:32 AM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2007, 03:35:37 AM »
Kent....To Jon, the web guy from the American Eagle, he will have a report around the 27th at the website.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2007, 03:37:58 AM »
Blue Flame...yes a state of the art piece...........but not the first one...........the first starts in the 50s....
you ever heard from Bluebird CN 7? History!
Pork Pie

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2007, 04:04:56 AM »
While I have the greatest respect for the breadth and depth of Pork Pie's LSR knowledge, I find his responses to Eric a trifle harsh.

Robin

just an answer to ignorant......

By the way this will be my last post

See ya
Pork Pie

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

Test News and photos
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2007, 01:11:09 PM »
Its up

American Eagle web sits all info on Black Rock test "not good" weather wind Craig Breedloves new wife is cute. http://www.landspeed.com/

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2007, 10:47:11 PM »
I hope that this effort gets off the ground and makes a decent effort.

But I don't see it so far. Lots of volunteers and sponsors, but all show and no go.

Day 1 put up the hanger.
Day 2 Install new parts. Oops they don't fit? Isn't that something you would do two weeks before going out for a very expensive test run?
Day 3 More work and an engine check. That's it for three days worth of work?

It looks more like a PR deal to latch on to ThrustSSC's thunder. If you go back to the third post I asked for speeds and guessed 225 because I sort of thought it would go this way.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2007, 02:04:59 AM »

But I don't see it so far. Lots of volunteers and sponsors, but all show and no go.

Day 1 put up the hanger.
Day 2 Install new parts. Oops they don't fit? Isn't that something you would do two weeks before going out for a very expensive test run?

It looks more like a PR deal to latch on to ThrustSSC's thunder. If you go back to the third post I asked for speeds and guessed 225 because I sort of thought it would go this way.

Your right

The days they where getting things together was the best weather things can turn ugly fast at Black Rock weather wise. Breedloves old car looks more unstable than before no tall center fin same rear strut conrad wing covering? looks like more positive lift again. I think Thrust SSC record will never be touched they where so far advanced above both American jet car's. It will be 4 more years testing on both cars before they ever reach 600mph if in fact they get that close

Offline Jeff Ryan

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2007, 08:20:30 PM »
FINALLY! Somebody besides me that sees that those things that hold his wheels to his car are generating lift! They're wings! That's the real reason the car flipped over at 675 mph, not the wind. It's compression lift, the same thing that kept the F-104 in the air.

On top of that, the shock waves are gonna build up underneath the wheel fairings at about 700 mph or so...

And the top of the cockpit is flat, so it's gonna act like a front wing, generating downforce and pushing the front of the car down. At least, that's how it looked on the old Sonic Arrow.

Offline Jondolar

• New folks
    • http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2007, 12:49:03 AM »

Day 1 put up the hanger.

Gosh Dean, I'm really disappointed in your "Monday morning quarterback" attitude about the NAE's test session. Were your there? Are you aware of what issues the team was dealing with that preceeded our arrival there? Being a racer, I thought you'd have a grasp of the difficulties involved in a project of this magnitude and sophistication. Surely you wouldn't just light the fire and let her rip down the course without making sure everything was in order and safe. Come on!
Jondolar
NAE Webslave & C.I.O.
"Challenges can be stumbling blocks, or stepping stones. It's just a matter of how you view them." Unknown

Offline Jondolar

• New folks
    • http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2007, 02:25:30 AM »
Video of 10/17/07 test session for NAEtm @ Black Rock

Thought all you speed freaks would appreciate knowing that a video clip from our most recent test session is now posted on the site.

To view, please go to http://www.landspeed.com/updates/October/071030.html

Along with the crappy weather we were dealing with, the surface had occasional hard spots, despite our careful dragging of the run course. Ed said it was like hitting speed bumps.
Jondolar
NAE Webslave & C.I.O.
"Challenges can be stumbling blocks, or stepping stones. It's just a matter of how you view them." Unknown

Offline Brian Westerdahl

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2007, 08:03:02 AM »
That looked like some very poor conditions.  Congrats on the test.  Keep up the good work .  Brian #7796

Clay Taylor

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2007, 06:30:32 PM »
All -

After viewing the video, it's a wonder that ANYTHING worked in that mess!    Ed, Keith, Jon, Bernard, et al - good job!

To all the others that are taking a critical view of the NAE operation, please appreciate the magnitude of their operation.  How many of your LSR cars have been digitally mapped in order to do a Computational Fluid Dynamics study?    When you are going to have to deal with the trans-sonic shock wave building up under the car, it sounds like a good idea, eh?

Read Jon's Black Rock report - their main goal was to experience what it takes to go there, set up camp, get the car running, and go home again.   I don't think they planned on 100 lbs of grit packed into every orifice, but that is certainly a valuable lesson.    Didn't Richard Noble have a miserable LSR attempt in Africa before finally coming to Black Rock a year later?   Did you guys hammer him then?

These are true LSR guys - taking their time building it right, finding the right guys for the team and the right sponsors for the products they need.  How many of you guys have puked a motor on the dyno before going to Bonneville?    They spit chunks of turbine rotors into the trees when the engine was on a test stand - it was shown on the TV special (Discovery Channel?)   I have been to the hangar in WA to see their home base, I was lucky enough to be there when the jet engine first ran on its own, saw it reach 300mph on rubber tires at the airport in WA, and saw their first runs at El Mirage.    They are true gentlemen, always taking the time to talk to you, explain what they are planning on doing, and bringing in the best help they can find to get it done.

Now that the wheels are done, the major build seems to be just about complete.   All they need now is about $1,000,000 to be able to take 40 - 60 people out to Black Rock for a month and see if they can bring home the brass ring.

I'm 2422 miles from Black Rock Desert (as measured by Google Earth) and hoping to be there next year to see the NAE attempt,

Clay