Author Topic: Bonneville 2-Club Motorcycle Minimums  (Read 33702 times)

Offline k.h.

Re: Bonneville 2-Club Motorcycle Minimums
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2005, 09:47:00 PM »
Maybe what the world needs for a new generation of speed records is a long paved course (for rutless traction) in a place with no side winds (for dustbins & everything else) in a location equally convenient or inconvenient in accessibility to all.  Hmm.  Avus got torn up after the war.  Anyone know about ambient test conditions around the Laredo facilities?  I'm open to suggestions.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2005, 10:29:00 PM »
Those proving grounds in Texas are still a manmade surface. The largest feature is a 5 mile banked circle. I did 2 FIM world record events and the records were not for top speed, but rather period attenpts. That is how far you go in a specified time for example 24 hours.
 Mercedies Just set the abousolute World Record under FIA for the minimum time to go 100,000 miles at that facility.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline k.h.

« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2005, 06:31:00 PM »
The "Chunnel" as the Brits call the Channel Tunnel, should be a great spot for year-round LSR in a contained environment and at an atmosphere below sea level for optimal tuning.  But at what point does a racer stop for customs and passport control?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2005, 11:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by k.h.:
  The "Chunnel" as the Brits call the Channel Tunnel, should be a great spot for year-round LSR in a contained environment and at an atmosphere below sea level for optimal tuning.  But at what point does a racer stop for customs and passport control?
We have a surplus of Undocumented International High Speed Drivers looking for a job.
 They seem to be exempt from all that formality.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2005, 08:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by JackD:
  The 2 club is not for sissys anymore.
 The best one is the guy with the record and in the 2 club was beat handly by another that was denied membership because the minimum was set higher than the record.
 Another was when a car driver was informed of the minimum at Speedweek and it was raised 3 times in 2 days. The 3rd time he said a nasty to the rep and that was the end of that.
 Rent-a- Ride is still around.
 A particular vehicle was said to have seated 8 and every year sombody got out and into the 2 club.
 When Marcia was on the way to be the first women, the Good Ole Boys had a fit. Most of them are still around and she knows who they are.
 Some memories are longer than others.
HAPPY  ENDING
 Let them know you appreciate their work because the money ain't that good.
 Reward the success and question anything that doesn't seem right to you.
 Everyone can learn from the answer.

Offline JimW

« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2005, 01:56:00 PM »
This might be too simple, but,

What was wrong with,

"Set a new record above 200 MPH."

So what if some 'capable of 300' only eeked out 201.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2005, 03:07:00 PM »
'Chunnel' use would have to be between the running of the high speed trains - would the FIM allow the return in the parallel tunnel to keep the direction of traffic flow correct?

According to some reports you do not need documents to get to the UK so we'll start the attempt in France and send the rider back there on the return pass.  Problem only arises if a third pass is needed and customs at Dover have to receive the rider (lol).
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline joea

« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2005, 12:02:00 AM »
Congratulations  Jon E. Wennerberg
 for making it into the Bonneville
 200 mph club on a bike!!!!!

interestingly, you got in between April
 05, and May 05..........thats pretty unique!!

here is Jon smiling proudly with his new
 attire at Maxton(about the 36th pic down)

http://dontbescaredracing.com/ecta/052805/

Joe   :)

edit "36th" pic, instead of "26th" pic

<small>[ May 28, 2005, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Joe Amo ]</small>

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2005, 05:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Joe Amo:
  Congratulations  Jon E. Wennerberg
 for making it into the Bonneville
 200 mph club on a bike!!!!!

interestingly, you got in between April
 05, and May 05..........thats pretty unique!!

here is Jon smiling proudly with his new
 attire at Maxton(about the 36th pic down)

http://dontbescaredracing.com/ecta/052805/  

Joe    :)  

edit "36th" pic, instead of "26th" pic
This one?

-

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2005, 04:10:00 AM »
Nice hat,too.
 Still cannot figure out the logic on these "minimums",run over 200 and get a record--seems simple.Especially when some of them plain don't make sense.I thought that the A class was supposed to be the most modified, the class that is capable of the highest speeds,yet tell me why the MPS and APS 1650 PBG minimums are the same,or why the MPS 2000 PBF minimum is 240 but the APS 2000 PBF is 230?And isn't the fuel class considered capable of faster speeds?So why does the APS 2000 PF class have a slower minimum than the APS 2000 PG class?Probably some more doozies in there but that was just a quick glance.Top thinking!!!
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2005, 10:05:00 AM »
The SCTA club rules makers are protecting the class A bikes with rules that serve no purpose other than protection. The rules for an unlimited class should be just that. The gas tank size, seat height, foot peg location are just some examples of the misapplication of rules just for the sake of rules. Amoung the reasons the A bikes are slower is because the racers want to stay away from that kind of administration.
 Work on the safety aspect and let them take care of the speed.
 Now comes the 2 club that has to try any maintain some standards for performance in the face of rules that only add to the confusion.
 If they won't work together, they won't.
 If you find records and miniums that are backwards, they begin with the rules for the class.
 Tough job.

Offline joea

« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2005, 12:17:00 PM »
there are some rules change requests being
 considered by the tech committee regarding
 the A class and M class bikes......so there
 remains hope that it will get smoothed out.......

if there is a will there is a way..........dont give up Jim

ask Jon W. the mpsg record is just over 220 mph,
 and yes the Fuel class potential is higher,and
 the minimum set at 225, yet Jon got in the club with a 207 mpsf.........

so anything is possible, some of us lame asses
 got in before the more stringent minumums were
 established  :)

some feedback may be helpful, there are many folks in both entities trying to do the best they can, just like the racers......

THEY are trying to keep us happy, when WE
 are really the only ones who can..........

Joe  :)

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: June 01, 2005, 04:57:00 AM »
I had the honor of presenting Jon Wennerburg his Bonneville 200mph club hat...  Jon saved opening the box until he got to Maxton... I had asked him to call me when he got the box so I could open it with him... instead he brought it to Maxton...Perfect.

We were at Bonneville when Jim Owen set the record at 203mph and got in the club.. then again we were in impound with Jon Wennerburg when he broke Jim's record at around 207mph and didn't get in.  

I don't know the exact particulars... but Jon sent in a request to review the situation and was subsequently awarded entry.  He is a deserving member without question in my mind.

I still believe in the concept of minimums... and the Board members of the Bonneville Two Club... this was simply a situation where honest men evaluated a situation and came to a conclusion that it wasn't correct and they fixed it.

That is why we have board members, Good for them.  I don't think it sets a precident for everyone... it was one set of circumstances which when evaluated had a reasonable outcome.
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline joea

« Reply #103 on: June 01, 2005, 08:39:00 AM »
first let me say, Jon and Nancy W. are
 one of the most dedicated and tenacious
 teams in lsr, and I mean in ALL of LSR
 dirt, pavement, salt

yes its a precedent:

I am currently explaining to a fellow (hopeful)racer, that if he runs a 999cc
 turbo over 20 mph (say 228) faster than the 1350 cc fuel (ie"blower in a bottle
  :)  :) ) record of 207 that garnered 2 club entry, and
 is 18 mph faster than the 1000cc turbo gas record
 of 210 mph, that he doesnt quite make it into the
 2 club, (min 230), even though that 210 record garnered that entry into the 2
 club

or if a guy goes 224 in 1350 mpsf, which is way over the 202 that got Jim in the club, and abit
 over 207 that got Jon in the club, and over the current 213 mph record, he doesnt make it in the club (as a "understandable" 225 is minimum)

I dont mind explaining it to him, due to what the 2 club is meant to stand
 for...........

Joe  :)

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: June 01, 2005, 01:43:00 PM »
Hey Joe...( how you doing? )

The problem here is that we only have some of the information associated with this ONE particular situation...  there was more then one issue...   I don't claim to be an expert on this deal...  I just know that when Minimums were set that year they didn't get them out in a timely manner and competitors got real confused...

We had a similiar situation last year with Roadsters but the fella in question didn't actually run over the previously established minimum so there you go...  it's a one on one situation... not nessesarily a precident that if you set a record over someone else's you automatically appeal and get in the club... there has to be other issues...
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph