Author Topic: Bonneville 2-Club Motorcycle Minimums  (Read 33783 times)

Offline joea

Re: Bonneville 2-Club Motorcycle Minimums
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2005, 02:42:00 PM »
more accurately,  the "Bonneville 200 mph club"
 is the "Bonneville exceptional lsr achievment club"

it really needs to be looked at in that context

the "200mph" with respect to the Bonn 2 club, is simply a "figure of speech"  

everyone who goes over 200 IS in the 200 mph club

just NOT in the Bonn two club.........there IS a big difference.....

its a Fraternity.....you pay your dues by exceptional achievment

its a private club with specific standards....there are peers who maintain the
 integrity of the ideals

its not up to the public what the standards/ideals are....

landracing

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2005, 04:34:00 PM »
well I can say I give a hats off to all who are involved in the 200 min's. I myself am not in the 200 mph club, yet.... My time will come and when it does it will be known that it was an exceptional acheivement. Not posting a ok speed for the application or class..... Maybe the analogy is this, A person on a hayabusa goes 201 mph in a 1350 cc class and gets in the club, yeaa ok whatever, but a guy for example on a 650cc motorcycle goes 201 and outperforms a bike twice the displacment, holy shit now that is impressive. Never been done yet....Maybe never going to be done that is what I say outstanding acheivement gets membership and ok acheivement get a handshake...

Jon

Offline yamagamma

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2005, 07:19:00 PM »
Jon, you might not be so enthusiastic when that same "whatever" guy who went 201 on the Busa comes up to you after your 201 run on your 600 that you have poured your heart and soul into and says.... "Not good enough - I think you should be able to go 215 on that little bike!"

When the goal-posts keep moving at somebody elses whim it's hard to score a winning goal!

Shane
Never underestimate an old guy on a Yamaha!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2005, 07:39:00 PM »
It appears my point might have been misunderstood.
 I have always and continue to believe that minimums or standing records should be maintained to establish the criteria for membership.
 It is the administration that I scream about when it is sloppy.
 The SCTA was not very good at it and so I made the motion to abandon the process at Bonneville and let the 2 club make their own standards.
 In the beginning they were no better than SCTA but now they are doing better. They still have a few holes to fill in and perhaps Slim has dropped thru the crack.
 El Mirage seems to work pretty good unless a soft minimun sneaks in.
 Your opinion may vary.
 Jack
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

High Gear

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2005, 07:41:00 PM »
Shane,

Having been there I agree that it is no fun to have the goal posts moved.

But, I sure if it happens to Jon he will just move his efforts to where the goal currrently resides.

Gary

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2005, 08:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Joe Amo:
  more accurately,  the "Bonneville 200 mph club" is the "Bonneville exceptional lsr achievment club" it really needs to be looked at in that context the "200mph" with respect to the Bonn 2 club, is simply a "figure of speech"  

everyone who goes over 200 IS in the 200 mph club

just NOT in the Bonn two club.........there IS a big difference.....

its a Fraternity.....you pay your dues by exceptional achievment

its a private club with specific standards....there are peers who maintain the
 integrity of the ideals

its not up to the public what the standards/ideals are....
understandable. commendable.

I guess looking to the future, instead of the past, technology and innovation seem to have moved away from the established ideals.

maybe it is a new task for me to undertake creating a "private" club "members only" hat for bald 300lb hayabusa owners?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2005, 09:55:00 PM »
I have a few questions.
 1. Can you shave your head ?
 2. How about if you are making payments ?
 3. Do you get a hat for each Suzi you own ?
 4. I understand the 300 lb minimum , but can I
    go through tech with rocks in my pocket that
    I use to speed up my modified ?
 5. I am really looking forward to the prop on
    top. Which way does it spin ?
 6. Can I sell them or just rent them out ?
 7. At the dinner, can I get in line ahead of you ?

Give the 2 club a break, they are actually doing better with some distance yet to cover.
 How fast ? We shall see.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2005, 01:00:00 AM »
sorry. new YOUNG guy progressive thinking again!

wmtsmith

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2005, 01:14:00 AM »
Joe and Jon

I am going to have to disagree---how can it be an exceptional achivement when the two club lets the same car or bike run on its own record with JUST ANOTHER FAMILY MEMBER at the control---

if you truly wanted to honor achievment---no hat until another vechicle bumped the record---no family or friends in the same car & in some cases in the same meet--- wow impresses me

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2005, 02:01:00 AM »
I see the solution/ workaround already.
 Deny he is your brother and stick your tongue out at him.
 You  will still have to set a record that is faster than anyone has done it before.
 And of course there is that pesky problen of what the bike is supposed to look like and what flag flies over it.
 "Real is in the eye of the beholder and faster is subject to debate for awhile yet."
 If it ever comes together, it should produce some real racing.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2005, 09:02:00 AM »
Will the Bonneville 2 club recognition be limited to SCTA events ?
 The record would indicate not.
 With the in house administration of the requirements, will they recognize AMA or FIM sanction to accurately document the performance ?

Offline k.h.

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2005, 09:25:00 AM »
What we need is more controversy . . . now about Hal Needham's Budweiser Rocket Car's 739+ mph run at Edwards in 1979, did the driver qualify for the 7 club? . . . No record there (if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around . . .)
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2005, 12:42:00 PM »
The Needham machine was accurately measured and sanctioned the same as the Thrust vehicle
 It NEVER (the rocket) set a record under the standards required at the time.
 The spped that was advertized (unapproved) was taken from the approach radar for Edward's AFB. If you take that speed and apply it to the conditions at sunrise you might get the speed of sound. However that was not the case when it ran in thinner/ later air and no boom was heard.
 What started to be a legitimate attempt failed and quickly became a piblicity driven stunt and was pushed away by the LSR community.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2005, 06:49:00 AM »
Today the FIM officials deny that their organisation were ready to give any sanction to the Needham effort with the three wheeled Budweiser.  

Some claim that the 'other' Fredericks rocket car with Kitty O'Neil on board set a record to the FIM rules, but I have not seen the results or the paperwork.  

The FIM of course did accept Craig's first jet car into a class for International (Worldwide) recognition, thus taking away the right of Donald Campbell (DMC) to ever claim the 'fastest man on earth title'.

I am pleased (and have thanked the committee & KT who assisted) that the Bonneville 200 Club did accept the first ever (FIA) World 200 mph record holder, even though the speed was set at Daytona/Ormond (by a Brit) and recognition only came during the 75th anniversary year of that record.  

The 200 Club have accepted into 'membership' other drivers too.  These thrust powered record holders and wheeldriven contenders are accepted, even though they are in non SCTA classes (Thrust team in '83 and '97) or set record speeds on tracks outside the USA (eg DMC at Lake Eyre, Australia).  

I cannot see them turning away any valid outright record holder - on two or four wheels - powered through the tyres or not!
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2005, 09:27:00 AM »
Earl Flanders was the FIM / AMA rep and member of the competition board over the Needham attempt. Ed Youngblood was an FIM VP at the time. Ed was also President of AMA
 The results did not meet the requirements for the speed be maintained over the distance of a kilo or a mile. When the rocket motor shut off the speed reduction without the power was in the order of 2.5 Gs and it lost speed in the distance to the extent it was unable to set a record. The fix was to add a solid fuel missle motor that had a longer burn time in hopes of mataining the speed long enough to be measured.
 That effort failed also.
 As a result application was made to the FIM and approved to measure and record instantanious speed for vehicles in excess of a set ammount.
 Their has been no attempt to that standard since.
 My guess that none of the people that were asked today were involved.
 Opinions are formed and rules are changed without the benefit of a lot of resrarch that might influence the decision. If you already have reached a decision, the path of least restance will serve you best.
 "Not much has changed about changes."
 "Everybody that has changed the color wants credit for the invention of the wheel."
 The Kitty runs were limited to recording the "Fastest Women" and as such were not World Record standard. The track markings are still visable at Tonapah dry lake.
 Some have formed a lot of information from opinions.

<small>[ April 03, 2005, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: JackD ]</small>