Author Topic: Contact with SCTA-BNI Office subj: Log Book availability  (Read 14360 times)

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
Contact with SCTA-BNI Office subj: Log Book availability
« on: January 10, 2007, 07:12:00 PM »
Sorry about the new post, but I thought that it was important for anybody that was interested. This will probably apply only to those of us that are trying to get new vehicles on the salt.

Just got off the phone with Jo Ann at the SCTA-BNI office. I told her that I was interested in getting a log book at the same time that I sent in my membership for BNI. She said although she has lots and lots of log books, they are only available at a race meet. She was very nice, but very adamant about the log books were not available until the next race meet.

So much for wanting to go as prepared as possible! Now let me see.....the rulebook states that you are to have your logbook up to snuff when you get to tech and the logbooks aren't available until you get there!

And oh by the way - The 2007 rulebook will not be available until at least March.

Holy Cow what a way to try and get more efficient with the inspection process!

SO, what I propose is that one of you guys with an extant logbook brief all us newbies on the darn thing page by page so that we can go with some plan in hand to help decrease the hassle for the entrants and the inspectors. Maybe it is worthwhile to have a simple orientation class "salt 101" or some such deal. LOL

You know what, this stuff should not be a hazing process! It shouldn't require killing chickens at midnight or some kind of secret handshake, either.

Trying to avoid getting old AND confused at the same time.

Regards to All,
HB2
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
Re: Contact with SCTA-BNI Office subj: Log Book availability
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 07:21:56 PM »
almost made that call myself today. ran out of time. thanks. anyone have a solution to this?

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 08:08:53 PM »
I went to an event and picked up a log book before I needed it. Refer to my earlier response to the log book question.
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,1611.0.html
The picture of page one is readable, and you can pull together the information and fill it in when you get the log book. It might take you ten minutes if you have the information available when you get there.
Page 2 is notes and comments. Page 3 is Event Record, Safety Inspection, Reinspection Correction, and Event Results and there are 30 pages just like it. The back cover has an area for photos of the vehicle. That's it.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 08:10:43 PM »
Harold, et al:  You might be worried over nothing. Yes you must get the log book at an SCTA meet but...  It's not a big deal for the racer. It's mainly for the tech crew. Each book has a serial number on the cover and a corresponding number (sticker) that's afixed to the chassis. Inside the book it has a place for your vehicle number, date of construction, who built it, type of vehicle, along with information about your safety gear etc. This is a one time only page. Then it records what class, engine, body style, etc. EVERY PAGE IS THE SAME! If the tech crew see a problem they will make a note in your book so the next time the car (or bike) runs the tech team can see what the problem was and that it was corrected, simple!

Hope this helps!
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 10:42:26 PM »
I hate to say it, but you will probably have plenty of time in line to fill it out.

For some reason it is one line, I guess since we can't race that day, that I don't mind being in and seems to move right along.

Actually the staging lines to me aren't that bad even if you are in them all day.  Seems time passes talking with others and walking up and down looking at the other cars.  Maybe I'm the only one who sees it this way :cry:.  Beats being anyplace else  :-).

c ya in line,

Sum

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 11:31:08 PM »
OK Guys,
Bear with me here. You can only get a logbook at a race meet - duh. WHY NOT in advance of the race meet? That makes about as much sense as getting a rule book only at the race meet! In my case, Bonneville is a pretty good distance away. El Mirage is even further. So, in order to get a simple logbook to complete your vehicle build, you must travel there to retrieve a logbook.  :? The logbooks are already printed NOW - The rulebooks will not be ready until at least March. There is simply a message in here somewhere that doesn't quite seem as complex as the DaVinci Code.

Sum, I agree with you that I would really rather be at Bonneville than many other places, but why should it be a hassle just because it has always been so - that's dumb hazing. NOT an improvement in either methods or process. I want to go to Bonneville to enjoy safe racing and the camaradire, not to reinforce idiotic bureaucratic drivel. The issue is that time is precious and cannot be replaced.

I consider that the time that one has on this earth to be priceless - you should be able to do all you can to make the time worthwhile for not only yourself but others as well.

All this talk of improving and yet resistance to change for the better, just simply baffles me.

I don't know about you guys, but I would rather go prepared as much as possible and then have to deal with whatever comes up than know that the whole thing is "just the way it has always been"

I believe strongly in the old military adage of prior planning prevents piss-poor performance. :roll:

And I will seriously consider that study and preparation are not an important thing to have in one's toolbox, because.......it just must not be that serious. LOL :-o

But, that is obviously open to conceptual disagreement and diatribe. LOL 8-)

Regards to All,
HB2

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 11:50:46 PM »
The log does nothing to contribute to the construction details of your vehicle.
Remember it is a results log and not a build log.
A first time entry will get extra attention from the inspection procedure and the log book is a valuable document to record the results , both good and bad.
With it comes a numbered sticker that reflects the prior inspection results and they stay together.
Better you should spend the available time prior to the meet with the rule book.
If you can get through that, the log will be really easy.
Rulebook availability and timing are always a nose bleed but that can be improved.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

dwarner

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 08:48:07 AM »
Harold,

Relax. As Jack says the log book has nothing to do with your build. Look at Dean's post again and see that pages 1-3 have nothing on them to dicate your precious build time. You will be in the inspection lines for at least 1/2 day, plenty of time to fill out 3 pages in a simple book.

"idiotic bureaucratic drivel." - Probably not the best attitude to bring to your first meet. You will just upset yourself and crew over something that everyone has to go through. If you have a better solution don't vent here, contact Jim Lattin.

The rulebook is currently being proof read, thats the best I can do.

DW

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 09:03:34 AM »
Jack has explained the log well.  Don't stress over it, you will have hours and hours in the tech line to find the most appropriate spot for the vehicle ID tag on your new vehicle and fill out the first page with vehicle and owner info.  Keep in mind, Bonneville is supposed to be fun.  If you have a construction log and pictures, bring it along, it will help get you through the new car tech process. 
Your previous post mentioned the military, so I am sure you must be familiar with the phrase "hurry up and wait."  Relax a little. 
You also mentioned you live a ways away, that may mean you won't get your rule book immediately....

Dan, shouldn't you be working or something...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

dwarner

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 09:05:53 AM »
Stainlees,

I am, this message board intrudes on my power nap time.

DW

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 10:51:36 AM »
Ain't this wunerfill ?
More people are using the term "RELAX".
Also "PRICELESS" is in more common use but can mean "WORTHLESS", depending on how you hold your tongue.
"IDIOTIC BUREAUCRATIC DRIVEL" is not just for the military any more.
REMARKABLE
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Bob Jr.

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 12:20:54 PM »

Holy Cow what a way to try and get more efficient with the inspection process!

Harold,

The tech line @ last years speed week went faster than it ever had.  They had the cars through ther faster than I have ever seen.  Friday is an all day adventre in tech.  What is your hurry?  The line to race on the 1st day or 2 will be long no matter what.  I know crews that wait until Saturday morning to go to tech because they do not want to wait in line.  So as others have stated relax, one of the resons a lot of us run this kind of racing is because it is laid back.  If you want to rush go back to the NHRA.  @ Least with the SCTA you have someone that will listen.

Bob Sights Jr.

"Speed is no object price is the problem"

Gear Grinder

624 G/BSTR 171.173 El Mirage

627 H/BFMR Bville 176.787, H/BGMR Bville 181.089 G/BFMR El Mirage 180.10, G/BGMR El Mirage 187.534

"Worlds fastest to the cooler of beer"

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 12:45:21 PM »
In '06 I was inspecting bikes -- and by 2PM Friday we had zero bikes waiting in line.  We'd learned to have someone stationed at the entrance to tech -- getting the racers started on the paperwork, looking at safety garb, doing things like that -- and we had three or four inspection lanes going, too -- for bikes that had been inspected recently (an E M event a few weeks before, for instance) vs. bikes on the salt for the first time ever.  That allowed for more efficient deployment of inspectors -- and things moved right along.

So don't count on long lines to give you time to fill out your paperwork -- you might find 'em, you might not.  Still -- the front page of the logbook isn't all that much.  Do try to have the event page filled out, though, so the inspector(s) have somewhere to sign.  We don't like signing blank pages.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 12:55:21 PM »
Gentlemen of the Salt,

First, I recognize and acknowledge the chastisement and advice.

Because that most of you have substantially more experience with this stuff than do I, your inputs do not fall on fallow ground. In my presentation of what I see/saw as a problem that should be easy to resolve, I did not intend to either demonstrate "attitude" or messenger target profile.  :?

Although the subject material seems very trivial to present to the president, I will do so and hope that does not earmark a problem for me and my piddly efforts. The presentation of the potential solution will be "fair and equitable" and intended to same some time for all.

Although this interest is targeted to having my own vehicle on the salt, it is not my first trip to Bonneville nor many other national/international events.

As for the comments about the military: I was truly lucky enough to be an operator that somewhat specialized in getting over/around the red tape of chairborne folks that generated the slowdown of more effective field operations. Thank goodness it was skill level that established target acquisition and solutions, not filling out DOD/DOA Form XX. LOL :lol:

Thanx again for your interest/comments.

Regards to All,
HB2

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 01:46:53 PM »
Harold does bring up at least 1 question that we did not answer. WHY can't the log book be sent to someone?

My thought would be the SCTA wants to install the sticker and not have someone put it in a bad position, or they just don't want books with numbers floating around with people who "might" someday have a vehicle.

We gave him reasons why he didn't need to worry about it but did we really help this newcomer out with his question?
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...