Author Topic: Tire needs, Help is coming soon  (Read 17631 times)

landracing

Tire needs, Help is coming soon
« on: November 05, 2004, 11:12:00 AM »
Tire needs, help is coming soon

From the first time Mike Cook introduced into our minds that we may have a solution to our sport for high speed tires there finally has been good news reported from a company which lives in Oregan, Alaskan Bushwell Tires.

Owner Bill Dunkin bought out this Alaskan based company about 5 years ago and build a brand new manufacturing plant and based it in Joseph, Oregan. This plant was visited by a representitive from our community of LSR racers and described the operation as sugically clean. He was very impressed with the state of the art equipment as well as the knowlede that Dunkin has. An aircraft tire that was made by Dunkin was put on a machine to measure lateral and radial runout and NO runout was seen, and that was an aircraft tire. The attention to detail to design us a tire is only going to be top-notch. Dunkin also was very supportive in our needs for high speed tires and has agreed to take on the task of building us high speed tires for the future of land speed racing. We can just refer him as an Angle from the skies because our cars or bikes are only as good as the tires they sit on. And right now some of the vehicles are sitting on 30 year tires, and the set of four could be the only ones they have. It was stated that his process will be able to manufacture 4 tires a day. Doesn't sound like much does it. Consider this, 4 tires a day isn't much because the attention to detail and the ability to give us a high speed tire with almost zero runout is the outcome. Earlier tires made by various companies gave us a high speed tire but with runout with as much as 1/16 of an inch.

Where we sit at this moment in time is Dunkin has purchased a block of aluminum reported to cost in excess of $10,000 and is in the process of building our first mold for tires to come. Now the question is which tires will be made? When will they be available? How much?  The answer is this. One mold will be the baseline for the following tires 30x18, 26.5x18, 26x16, 5.50x15. How can one mold be used for these tires, he will be using  liners in the mold for the additional sizes. Newer technology will be used to give a Kevlar tire instead of nylon and will be a true radial. This will give us a 17% less drag by going with Kevlar over nylon. Another postive result using his technology is a lighter tire with no growth.  Previous reported said they would be a bias ply tire but new information says they will be a true radial. Availability is scheduled to be June 2005. The price has not been established yet. First the mold has to be made then a tire made and then tested. Who wil be testing the tires. Dunkin has the ability to put these tires on a true tire dyno. He can spin them up to 350 mph with a controlled load on the tire and can determine rolling resistance.  I am sure that Burklands and Joe Law will be able to test some of these also. Right now everything is being done to get the first tire off the production line and test it and the results from that will go into the production of the tires.

Motorcycle tires will be in the process for the future but right now it was stated that he will design and test the car tires, get some data then start on the motorcycle tires.

As new information gets to me I will publish for your entertainment.

Jonathan Amo

<small>[ November 05, 2004, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: JonAmo ]</small>

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Tire needs, Help is coming soon
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 12:11:00 PM »
Jon
 Thanks for the update.
 Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline naked

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 07:19:00 PM »
Jon this is great news for everyone. Finally someone has stepped up to the plate. with the increase of speed of the bikes  lately ,this was the limiting factor . now how soon before we see 300 mph on a sit on bike??? Hopefully in the near future tire avalibility wont be an issue. This is an awesome start.

John Beckett

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 08:05:00 AM »
Jon

Could you check with your sources on the tire sizes again? All seem right except the 26x16. Could it possibly be a 27x15 instead? Hope so cause thats the size I need.

John

landracing

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2004, 11:12:00 PM »
John,

I am correct on the sizes, sorry buddy.

Jon

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 08:39:00 AM »
That 26x16 car tire wouldn't happen to be a round profile tire would it Jon?
 TD

Ken Walkey

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2004, 01:35:00 PM »
Re: LSR tires-I'll believe it when I see them.
 There is a need for a 28" tall tire to replace all the 28X15 Goodyears out there IF anyone is really going to build LSR tires.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2004, 05:29:00 PM »
Ken, If you don't want to believe it, thats fine, but I havn't heard what you are doing to promote any tires being built.  Maybe you can extrapolate further on your current efforts, rather than riducule the only known active efforts to do something positive to deal with the current problems.
                Bob
Bob Drury

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2004, 10:10:00 PM »
Well said Bob. I recently overheard the same comment last weekend and thought more about the present increased safety requirements across the board. For every person that has heard and been let down on tires there's another one out here that would still like to believe it, and for good reason. These tires are needed more everyday, especially on(but not limited to) the motorcycle end of things. The average 250mph to 300mph car or motorcycle streamliner that shreads a tire, spins out or at worst rolls, and 99% of the time the pilot exits the vehicle with a relatively insignifigant amount of damage. Open wheel motorcycles(of streetbike design) are now  becoming more known for entering the 250+mph hour zone which is not quite so simple when you think of a failed tire, especially a front. And there's many of these bikes in the 225mph+ zone now. Not to mention that more cars are commonly reaching 200+ much easier then years gone by. The way I see it, this means there is more $ available overall for someone to build these then there has been before. It still may not be enough to constitute it? But as long as there's a group of people willing to find out, I think they could use everyone's support as much as possible.
 I'd like to thank people like JOn for trying to kick it in the butt and people like Bill for being willing to try and grab it by the horns.
 TD (hoping to need those tires on something in the future)

John Beckett

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 12:55:00 PM »
Think what Ken is trying to say is that the 28x15 Goodyears and the 27.5x15 Mickies were the most popular sizes of LSR tires, they are currently used up or unavailable, and they are not on the list to be duplicated. ???????

John

landracing

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 01:37:00 PM »
JOhn and All,

I am sure that these will be in the process down the line, we have to start somewhere. ALL tires are hard to come by and they have to start somewhere, so those are the sizes. If all goes well then more for the future would be the way they will go.

Jonathan

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2004, 03:16:00 PM »
27.5x15 Mickies were the most popular sizes of LSR tires, they are currently used up or unavailable, and they are not on the list to be duplicated. ???????

I just bought two new Goodyear Land Speed tires size 26 X 15 and I was told that there are more of these tires in stock.  I bought mine from the SW Dist. in Oaklahoma City.  

He also says that Goodyear still plans on making the rest of the line of Land Speed tires soon (EAGLE LAND SPEED TIRES).  They have just moved production of these tires from Chili (where mine where made) back to the US.

I realize this doesn't help the bike people or some others that don't use those size tires, but still it looks like there might be an option for some of us.  Still it is always good to have more than one supplier for anything you need.

c ya, Sum

Ken Walkey

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2004, 11:36:00 PM »
Thanks John, that's what I was trying to say
 Amen,nuf said

dad land

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2004, 11:24:00 AM »
yes, todd! hopeing to need those speed rated tires myself someday for my old WWII techno - pushrod stuff-motosycle! but on the safety end.....there is a need and i'm in that group and as the group gets larger i hope it's economically fesable to build them.
 forget last year.looking at next year and what i have to improve on and most of it isn't money but thought and time...........AND DO IT!of course a little $$ to work with is very helpful.may my god watch over us -foolish mortals in our quest for speed!
 dad land

wmtsmith

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2004, 10:40:00 PM »
If the tires are to be made with Kevlar and are not going to GROW --- we maybe need 32x18 instead of 30x18.  at 270 the 30's had grown to 31.3 wmts