Author Topic: Tire needs, Help is coming soon  (Read 17633 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Tire needs, Help is coming soon
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2005, 12:38:00 PM »
It has been demonstrated that breaking in a tire in service will cause the bond between the casing and the moulded tread to cure better.
 Reducing the tread mass by shaving will allow it to spin fasrer by reducing the unsupported load.
 Shaving will produce a smooth surface as compared to grinding or sanding.
 If you know what a stress riser in metal trearment you will begin to understand the effect on the surface of the tire.
 Preheating not only serves to relax the tire but soften the rubber and make it easier to cut.
 Liberal application of soapy water during the cutting process serves to allow the sharp cutting tool(like a block plane) to cut without grabbing.
 The % of tread removed can vary with the application and what works for one may not work for the other.
 Each bike and rider treat the tires differently and a rule might be required to establish a minimum but full treaded tires have been said to work. Not said is the pre event preparation, weight, suspension characteristics, and HP level.
 Tire rules should be a major consideration otherwise it is a case of the "Blind leading the deaf."
 Most of you know some of it and some of you know all of it.
 The point of a rule is that it should be easily
 ubderstood by everybody and supported by the best information available.

<small>[ February 06, 2005, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: JackD ]</small>
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Jon Minonno

• New folks
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2005, 12:51:00 PM »
Joe,
 Sorry I overlooked your question about my tires back in January. Thought I should reply even at this late date.
 The Goodyear that came apart actually wasn't the fault of the tire. It was due to inadequate clearance to allow for tire growth.
 The ZR tires that had the multiple runs > 220 were ZR tires designed for heavy motorcycles at sustained high speeds running on the autobohn.
 Also I choose not to run a wider wheel. This is  to avoid excessive stretching the center of the tire which is the area we experience the most wear.
 I designed my bike heavy, bike and rider, wet, running down the salt weigh 905 lbs. The tire I used had 6 pulls on the dyno, 4 runs at Goliad, and 6 runs at Bonneville. The rear tire was a 180/55/17 on a 5" wheel.
 I know they already have written the rules for 2005 but maybe this will at least provide some additional food for thought.
 Jon

John Beckett

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2005, 12:56:00 PM »
Lot's of speculation surrounding the Goodyear LSR tire on a bike. Glad to know the failure wasn't the tires fault.

JB

Offline k.h.

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2005, 01:13:00 PM »
http://www.avonmotorcycle.com/us/en/news.asp?ID=70

The Avon Azaro-ST AV45/46, shaved, may be a 300 mph tire.  Tire Test engineers can be found in the Akron yellow pages.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

RODaly

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2005, 09:44:00 PM »
Jon,

RODaly

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2005, 09:52:00 PM »
Jon, If your question is still pending, the answer is yes.  We will allow ZR tires to run in classes with records up to 250 mph. An inspection by the rider and tech inspector will be required before and after each run over 195 mph.  It is the responsibility of the rider to determine if the tire is safe for additional runs.  However, if the inspector find apparent damage or deterioration, the tire must be replaced before the bike can run again.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2005, 10:51:00 PM »
Rules enforcement and application will always be a shared responsibility.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2005, 02:26:00 AM »
Good to hear, I have run several runs over 240+ to find that the only problems with Z rated tires (or any tires so far for me) is when the rider has more power than most or "over" powers the course and spins the rear tire at a speed that is 25+ miles an hour greater than actual speed being traveled..this causes blistering and "chunking" of the rear tire in all cases and the front tire is always perfect..

J

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2005, 06:34:00 PM »
Sorta sets up a class for 'my bike'.. Interesting thought..
 Dave