Author Topic: Doing LSR as a one-man operation  (Read 11592 times)

Offline Frankie7799

Re: Doing LSR as a one-man operation
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 02:21:07 PM »
If you take Frankie up on his offer, make sure he goes to Rookie Orientation, too.

Sound advice Stan which I will gladly take.

Offline metermatch

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 11:19:49 PM »
Thanks for the ideas.  I think I will make the trip in May, and look for help if I can't find someone to go with me.

The next obvious place I should check with is the club I recently joined, the Sidewinders!

Jeff

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 10:07:41 AM »
MC2032, I'm the guy who brought you Gus and Mark. Glad they worked out for you.  :cheers: Gus helps me run my car. Metermatch, go for it. There are plenty of people who want to help. Heck, just put up a "Help Wanted" sign in your pit. You might make some lifelong friends.  :lol: Wayno

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 01:31:29 PM »
A few years ago I needed help for World finals. Got hooked up with Blake/Black Rose racing, through here. Blake and a friend of his were great help and I made a new friend.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 02:34:09 PM »
In 2002 I went to speed week as a spectator. We were driving through the pits, found a pit that says "Crew needed". So we stopped, the guy told us he needed someone to take him down, buckle him in, come get him when the run is done, if you do this, steak dinner tonight for us, heck that was icing on the cake! We were already there.

This relationship continues till this day, and infact the car that I run today I purchased from him.

Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 07:09:53 PM »
Words can not express my gratitude to Clay, Heidi and sons for the years of support and help they have given me. THey will always be a welcome part of my crew, even if they dont get the recognition they deserve.

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline tauruck

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 10:26:21 PM »
I'm a one man operation at the moment and only because I'm still building the vehicle but when the time comes to run a crew will form for sure. I've done the one man thing at road racing and it cost me the South African Championship by two points. It was an away race and my amateur crew all had other commitments. A rival crew strapped me in and set my tire pressures for me after the warm up lap. They gave me a lot of extra air. From what I read here you should have no problem getting help. Lets face it, it's no fun trying to run on your own and you look around and the other guys have 8 man crews all decked out in team uniforms.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 10:27:27 AM »
The next obvious place I should check with is the club I recently joined, the Sidewinders!

Yup, there's your answer right there.... especially for El Mirage.  Go to your club meetings and make yourself known.  Go to the meets early and hang out.  Camp with some folks in your club.  Get to know people.  There are a lot of Sidewinders and I'm sure there would be plenty available to help you out.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline mikeC.

• New folks
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 10:50:13 AM »
We have done well with just a few of us running a roadster, but Bonneville we usually an extra person or two to help... good attitude is a must, nothing sucks more than a squeaky wheel.   

Most of the time we have two trucks, one to tow and/or push and the other to haul extra gear.  It isnt absolutely necessary to have two though, just a convenience.
Flatheads Forever!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 11:11:10 AM »
I'm a one man operation at the moment and only because I'm still building the vehicle but when the time comes to run a crew will form for sure. I've done the one man thing at road racing and it cost me the South African Championship by two points. It was an away race and my amateur crew all had other commitments. A rival crew strapped me in and set my tire pressures for me after the warm up lap. They gave me a lot of extra air. From what I read here you should have no problem getting help. Lets face it, it's no fun trying to run on your own and you look around and the other guys have 8 man crews all decked out in team uniforms.

Tauruck;

Don't be discouraged; "little guys" don't often win against big well-funded operations but they can still do well and by so doing gain respect for their efforts.

Back in the Can-Am days of '72- '73, I was fortunate enough to be part of a private team that ran on a shoe-string budget against big corporate sponsors and internationally- famous drivers. Bob Peckham owned the McLaren M8C (#64) and was the driver. He devoted all of his time to preparing the car and running the "team"-- which consisted of himself, his wife and a couple of amateur volunteers. The whole operation was financed by his wife's salary as a math professor at the University of Arizona and the few dollars prize money. We had NO sponsors-- in fact there was a sign lettered on the wing that said "Space Available". By the end of the final season of the Can-Am Series, we had moved up to a 6th place finish, which we we thought was pretty good, considering the competition. Another thing we were proud of was that we never DNF'd.

It was a great feeling to have beaten other cars which had multi-million dollar budgets. Overcoming cubic money is tough but it can be done with careful preparation, imagination, hard work, and skilled driving.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2012, 12:27:20 PM »

Tauruck;

Don't be discouraged; "little guys" don't often win against big well-funded operations but they can still do well and by so doing gain respect for their efforts.

Back in the Can-Am days of '72- '73, I was fortunate enough to be part of a private team that ran on a shoe-string budget against big corporate sponsors and internationally- famous drivers. Bob Peckham owned the McLaren M8C (#64) and was the driver. He devoted all of his time to preparing the car and running the "team"-- which consisted of himself, his wife and a couple of amateur volunteers. The whole operation was financed by his wife's salary as a math professor at the University of Arizona and the few dollars prize money. We had NO sponsors-- in fact there was a sign lettered on the wing that said "Space Available". By the end of the final season of the Can-Am Series, we had moved up to a 6th place finish, which we we thought was pretty good, considering the competition. Another thing we were proud of was that we never DNF'd.

It was a great feeling to have beaten other cars which had multi-million dollar budgets. Overcoming cubic money is tough but it can be done with careful preparation, imagination, hard work, and skilled driving.

Neil -

Considering the competition those years - Follmer and Donohue in the 917's - you guys were running with some pretty fast company.

LSR breeds upstart upsets.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 02:59:31 PM »
MM;

Yes, we sure were. There were a flock of Lolas, the Shadow, and even a Ferrari 512M out there. We also got to attend an Eagles concert at Riverside after practice was over. Cool.

Offline Ken Yooper

• New folks
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2012, 09:03:23 PM »

The U.S.F.R.A. 130 and 150 clubs allow you to drive your race vehicle back instead of towing.

No records but a lot of fun.

Don

This is exactly what I did and it was a learning experience to say the least!  LOL.  Had a few guys in 2006 who were willing to help build and crew something that would go 175 just for grins and bragging rights but due to health and just being too busy, they all dropped out.  Well, I did have a car of sorts but a very small budget so in 2012 I decided to run in the 130 Club instead and see what might happen.  Grabbed a bunch of tools/equipment, hooked up the car and tow dolley behind my RV and headed west to Wendover - all by myself.  Even though it was a one man band I became acquainted with tons of salt folks and really enjoyed each and every day.   As said by other posters here, it was easy to find help when I needed it, like people to drive my rental car (support vehicle??) on and off the salt.   One was a guy named Dave Saunders from the UK who assisted in getting the car onto the salt.    If anyone knows how to contact Mr. Saunders, let me know as I'd like to send an email to express my appreciation once again.  P.S:  I didn't make the 130 club!  Next year!  KenB 
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.  If it's not worth doing right then it's probably not worth doing at all.  (Andy Granatelli in Gasoline Alley 1964)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2012, 09:29:09 PM »
Okay, Ken -- you're in the miserable south now, right?  But where in the UP do you live when you're up here to enjoy all that the great white north has to offer?  We've got snow slowing down now, with it starting around 5 this morning.  It oughta be over by noon or suppertime tomorrow.

Oh, yeah -- Nancy and I live in Skandia, about 20 miles southeast of Mqt.  And we both welcome you to the Forum.  Have fun - you can down in the muggy part of the world. :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Avanti Dan

• Going to Bonneville to fill my Bucket List item #4
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2012, 01:48:28 PM »
My good friend Andy has done it for the last three years at World of Speed. He is now ready to move up to Speed Week. Not only did he do a one man operation he drove his 1959 Ford Fairlane from Southern California to Utah and back. He changed tires and added aero body parts and a lot more while at WOS. Of course he was able to drive the car where needed. I know he will do well at Bonneville and Speed Week. He did have help. He pitted with Dave Bloomberg and us so although he did all his own work we were there for parts or support as needed. He met Dave his first year there and Dave told him to come and pit with them for support. That's part of the LSR magic. Enjoy.
Dan
Bucket List Dreamer