Author Topic: Doing LSR as a one-man operation  (Read 11611 times)

Offline Ken Yooper

• New folks
Re: Doing LSR as a one-man operation
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2012, 02:11:06 PM »
Hi Jon -

I live on South Manistique Lake near Curtis MI.   You and I have chatted very briefly on the salt a couple of times the last several years.  There is another group from Gladstone MI - the Viau boys - who run a Camero at Speed Week but other than that, it seems not many folks from Upper Michigan make the trip to Wendover. 

Thanks for the welcome.  I feel very privledged to be a part of this group - the amount of knowledge here is nothing short of amazing.

The plan once again is to go it alone in 2013 - this time in the 150 Class.   Weld in a cage and a few other things and I'm there. 

First went to Bonneville in 1968 but it was rained out - however that's when I, "Got The Fever," and like others, found the disease to be a lifelong affliction.   Salt Fever sometimes goes into remission but once infected, you're never going to experience a cure.  LOL.

Muggy south - nah, it's about 68F right now, sunny and dry.  The beer however is cold.

KenB
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.  If it's not worth doing right then it's probably not worth doing at all.  (Andy Granatelli in Gasoline Alley 1964)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2012, 04:31:44 PM »
The Viau family wasn't at the salt this year, so you and we are the only active racers from the UP.  Jim Owen, from Norway, was for a couple of years -- about ten years ago.  But then his job - Iron Mountain municipal firefighter got eliminated and he lost the $$ and time availability to go west except to crew, now and then, for Kris and Dan Wright.

Okay - back to one person land speed racing.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2012, 05:41:18 PM »
MC2032, I'm the guy who brought you Gus and Mark. Glad they worked out for you.  :cheers: Gus helps me run my car. Metermatch, go for it. There are plenty of people who want to help. Heck, just put up a "Help Wanted" sign in your pit. You might make some lifelong friends.  :lol: Wayno

Boy, did you luck out...I was just telling a Gus story last night....you couldn't find a better example of guys who know the drill and are just fantastic people to be around.....

hey Wayno  :cheers:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2012, 07:16:27 PM »
Hi Mom.  :-) Wayno

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2012, 07:37:12 PM »
Jeff,

As I started reading this topic I was glad to see you were in an SCTA Club. El Mirage is easier to run as a minimum of a two person "team". You will need someone to help push you up in line, help suit you up and strap you in, then push you up again and drive your support truck down to the far end to tow you back to the pits.

If you ask for help from someone crewing for a Sidewinder running in one of the first couple of Groups then you will have plenty of time to get your car ready when they get back to the Pits. You will be starting out in the back unless you run out of the Rookie Lane (most likely). Just ask around. Some crews are pretty big and have extra guys that would love to help you!

For a while I used to tow my Roadster up to El Mirage by myself and always found someone in our Club willilg to help!

Bonneville is the same deal, just a little more time commitment in the staging lanes for a crew guy or gal.

Tom

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2012, 07:54:57 PM »
As everyone stated in this forum section,  Plus Put a small sign at the inspection trailer and you will fine a lot of people willing to help. Bonneville does require a little time in line and maybe you could team up with a crew and run one bike after the other and have a two rail trailer to recover both and return to a shared pit area side by side. Ask the announcer to spread the word for crew help and your veh. # and pit location.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2012, 10:30:45 PM »
The Bub event does have some single riders, but there are some disadvantages. Couple years back a friend and I went to run both our bikes. We helped each other out everywhere except when on the salt to run as we went together. I had a mechanical problem about mile two and ended up pushing the old girl back.

The announcer was asking for my crew to assist get me the hell out of the way but I had none. Kept my helmet on for awhile after that...
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.