Author Topic: Doing LSR as a one-man operation  (Read 11631 times)

Offline metermatch

Doing LSR as a one-man operation
« on: November 17, 2012, 04:58:56 PM »
I would like to know if it possible to do LSR by myself, instead of having to bring people to help me?  I am having trouble finding reliable and eager friends willing to help me race.  I would have been at El Mirage last weekend doing my rookie runs, but my help backed out at the last minute.

Lets face it, it is usually dirty, hot, and generally uncomfortable at race tracks, and not much fun if you aren't "into" it.

I learned long ago to be self-sufficient when I drag race, and it has helped me quite a bit.  My drag cars do not need towing, and can drive around like street cars.

I also don't want to be a burden to others at the dry lakes and Bonneville, having to constantly ask for towing help.

Is there any way to do LSR by one person? 

I was thinking of using a small ATV left near the finish line end of the track to tow me back to the pits, and my truck to tow me to the staging lanes, and then pushing the car (1700 lbs) in the staging lanes until I have to suit up, and then starting motor for last few car lengths before a run.  After the run, driving ATV to truck near staging lanes, and towing AVT back to pits, ready for next run.

Can I use the car engine to push me forward the last few car lengths in the staging lanes before I make my run?

Is this possible?  Any ideas?  (other than getting new friends)

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: Doing LSR as a one-man operation
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 05:23:58 PM »
Its extremely difficult (if not impossible) to run on your own at El Mirage or Bonneville.   I wouldn't call you a "burden" by asking for help.  There are people there who would be more than willing to help you.  I can understand the lack of reliable and eager friends.  Sometime its difficult to convince someone who isn't into LSR that going out to a hot, dusty lakebed is fun.  Most people I know are of the you are nuts? ilk.  I can't comment on using the car engine to drive the last few lengths to the line.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 05:41:32 PM »
I have been short handed and picked up people wanting to help at the event.

Made life long friends because of it.....

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline maj

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 05:42:26 PM »
Or get someone else involved, sharing the costs and driving??

Bubs on a bike is about the only 1 man operation around

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 06:37:31 PM »
In anticipation of next year, I went through rookie orientation at World Finals this last October.  The car wasn’t ready, and after going through Rookie-O, I realized I wasn’t either.

You need someone with a fire extinguisher and a CB radio in a support vehicle.  At Bonneville, it helps to have somebody pick up your timing slip.  It’s often tough to suit up by yourself.  If you’re going fast enough to need a chute, somebody should be assigned to that.

I had offers of help before I pulled the plug on this year - folks who were going to be there anyway - and the folks who offered were more disappointed in my non-racing status than I was.  If the car had not seized a valve on the dyno, my Wife and I probably could have made it happen with the help I was offered.

But to assure a smooth event for everybody, and those lines can get long at times, it’s best to have a plan and a team in place.  Go to the event, take note on who is doing what during the runs, and from there, you can determine your needs as far as duties and responsibilities are concerned.  That will give you a better chance of concentrating on what you went out there to do – drive fast.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Tman

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 07:01:48 PM »
We can run the 416 truck with Tim as the driver and myself in the pushtruck. That said, we usually have one or two more folks helping. The truck runs Production with very little prep needed (no chute). Doing it alone is not doable from a headache and safety standpoint.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 07:05:32 PM »
And remember the old saying.  There are no strangers on the salt.  Only pit crew you haven't yet met.

When Lars Nielsen comes over from Denmark on his own he has no problem finding help.  Last year it was us.  He ulled up to our RV on his own and the first question I asked him was "Need a crew?"    If worse comes to worse and you show up on your own the truth is you won't have a problem finding a crew.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 07:08:09 PM by Nortonist 592 »
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 07:50:03 PM »
Meter, if you need help in El Mirage in May, get a hold of me Id be glad to help. While itll be my first time in the dirt, Ive owned, driven and crewed on drag cars for over 20 years. Im over in the Phoenix area so its not that far to El Mo and I was planning on going to El Mo in May to experience it for the first time anyways.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 08:07:18 PM »
Metermatch, you need to go back to your profile page and fill in where you live,city & State. You might find someone close to you that will have a interest in helping you. There are a lot around.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline mc2032

• Reliability and performance are highly overrated.
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 11:17:29 AM »
I did the one person thing at World of Speed (HD sportster on a 5x8 open trailer) and had a ball!.  I was lucky to meet a couple of really good people (Gus and Mark) who I cannot thank enough.  They knew where to go, what to do and when to do it, who to ask, etc., great mentors for this rookie.  I don't know if you will be as fortunate as me, but I would bet that just asking if someone would drive the recovery vehicle or help with loading or unloading, you'd have more assistance that you need!  People want to be a part of the action and getting invited to help is even better.  Remember, people who attend events like Bonneville and el Mirage are racers, who better to ask for help?  Having one or two people on your team is good, but if you don't, just ask, I did and it worked out great for me!

Ross #1023
1350 APB-G

#1032 1350 A, APS-PBG & F, #1000 I/BFL.  My number is 241.273.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 11:29:26 AM »
I know it can be done, but the experience is so much more enjoyable with a extra set of hands or two.  (Thanks Runt).  On a hard surface, I have even raced a bike and a car by myself and I can tell you never again!

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 11:39:41 AM »
Convincing friends and family to show up is difficult because of the general insanity of the sport. "In that kind of heat?" "Sit around all day with those noisy race cars?"

Still, it is amazing how many will respond to free lunch.

A lot of people show up to watch because their car wasn't ready, they like fast cars, you name it.

A lot of them are familiar with the sport and can wrench.

Finding people to help is no harder than asking, and you have done that!
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 01:01:46 PM »
How about getting married to the right girl. It worked for me... she drives the race car... I do everything else... We have a blast. :-o
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline salt27

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 01:08:53 PM »
The U.S.F.R.A. 130 and 150 clubs allow you to drive your race vehicle back instead of towing.

No records but a lot of fun.

Don

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 02:15:25 PM »
If you take Frankie up on his offer, make sure he goes to Rookie Orientation, too.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"