Author Topic: Shootout 2011  (Read 11564 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Shootout 2011
« on: July 22, 2011, 12:53:45 PM »
Well, well -- it's time to start a thread about the upcoming (2011) Shootout.  I've posted a bit here and there, adn Mike Akatiff recently put a list of the vehicles/riders that'll be racing, so things are underway.  The salt reports make it sound ilke there'll be about the same amount of race course (11 miles) as last year. 

Dave Petrali, the U S A C  guy and the Board's US representative, sent a note the other day.  It offers the news that for the first time ever the FIA will hold the annual meeting at Wendover this September on Sunday, the 18th of September.  The meeting isn't open for one and all, but right after the meeting is over the Board members will head out for an in-person look at the salt.  They'll be accessible to the public while out there -- and while it doesn't mention plans for them for the rest of the week, maybe some will hang around to watch the fun.  Dave, of course, will be there all week long representing the FIA and officiating in the stuff he needs to do.

Bike racers:  No, I haven'theard anything from FIM and/or Charles Hennekan (a/k/a "FIM Charlie").  Since he's from the other organisation he might or might not be at the meeting.  For sure he'll be on the salt all week keeping the bike racers all legal and in line.  He'll be at Bub's, though.

The meeting notice is posted on the home page of this website.  Follow this link:  http://www.landracing.com/

We all look forward to seeing you on the salt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
Re: Shootout 2011
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 02:29:21 PM »
While we are waiting,it would be nice to see some posts here about the participates.
Like What changes they have made to their Cars and Bikes (Engine, Trans, Turbo, Rearend Gearing, tires, Aero).  And lots of Pictures.
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 02:56:09 PM »
What is the upcoming schedule for live broadcast?
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 03:12:06 PM »
Okay - I don't have much to offer in the way of information on the race vehicles.  Ron Main has sent some photos of the Speed Demon, and I've pasted those into the Forum now and then.  About the others -- i know damn near nothing.  Well, Rocky and Mike Akatiff say that there's not much new in the Ack bike, but rather that they're hoping to post a higher record and then sit back to watch the other bikes, over the next few years, try to break that record.  When Mike told me "this'll be my last year" - - all I said was "Mike, I've heard you say that before!".

And the only other vehicle I know much about is Nancy's ride, the Kawasaki Ninja 250 Turbo.  I don't have a photo here but will get one from the house, later, for your enjoyment.  Sorry, she's wearing clothes in the picture.

Schedule for broadcasting:  Live audio from morning record runs to end of racing daily at SpeedWeek.  I'll be trying to get a major spoonsor to pick up the tab -- need about $500 at lest for the site to afford it.  A grand would be better for the checkbook.  Now you know why I want a major sponsor.

The other broadcasting (well, streaming) is scheduled for me to try at the Shootout.  We're needing at least a grand there -- 'cause we're going to try out some live video (camera at the line) and then some "video on demand".  That'll be interviews or record runs or whatever I can find.  We'll have a guy flying in to use his video stuff, and are hoping that we can find a producer or two that'll let us use some of his work out there.

Is that good enough?  It takes more people than just Nancy and me -- that's why the schedule is pretty light.  Maybe next year, when we've proven this stuff works - and will be able to raise money through a sponsor, who'll buy thing ads 'cause he sees how many folks are paying attention (logged on).  Please let us know when you're listening - somehow.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 03:33:55 PM »
I put these up in the general Bonneville thread yesterday, but might as well show them off in this line of chatter, too.  As Ron Main put it in his email announcing the note: 

"THE DEMON CREW IS WORKING ON A NEW MUSICAL INSTRUMENT AND WILL PErFORMING AT WENDOVER AUG.11-18"

Just like the exhaust system on our Briggs & Stratton mower, sort of. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 07:28:57 PM »
WOW, That is Beautiful.
Ron, send more...............

Rick

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 08:04:41 PM »
I always knew you could run an organ with hair dryers and I plan to be there to hear the symphony from their amazing organ!  :-D

All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 08:49:29 AM »
Dean - and everyone:  I got this note overnight from Dave Petrali, the USAC guy that'll be on the salt.  Now it's Monday morning and Dave advised me that he had some of the Speed Demon engine sizes worng.  I've modified accordingly.  Jon

If all of the participants who have expressed their intent to be there blow up everything during Speed Week, we may have no entrants but I doubt that will happen.

The list I have at the moment is the same as last year:

Poteet & Main will be back with three engines. A 347 inch, the 298 inch and the four cylinder they ran in the past, or maybe a different 4-cyl.  My notes aren't complete - but it'll either be a 167 inch, 180 inch, or something else.  The class ends at 183 cu. in.

Nish will return with the BIG engine and attempt to break the record Nearburg set last year when he broke the 45 year old Summers Brothers record. They also plan to run the 300 inch engine they set a record with last year.

Nearburg is planning to have a supercharged (or maybe turbocharged) engine to attempt to break the records shared by Teague (kilo) and Burkland (mile).

Amir Rosenbaum will be back too with the same engines he ran last year (485 and 529 inchers).

Of course any or all of this is subject to change during Speed Week so don’t hold me to it.

When I get details I'll send them for the bikes, but for now I know that:

Nancy (Mrs. Seldom Seen Slim) will be running her 250 Turbo Kawasaki, Leslie Porterfield will ride both her Suzuki and something from Honda.  Mike Akatiff's Ack Attack will be ridden by Rocky Robinson, and both Scott Horner and Jamie Wagner will be back for their second year.  I hope one of those other than Nancy will fill in details about engines and so on.  I'll be there with the pit bike, of course -- and I remind you that last year I ran it down the course at a stellar speed of 28.831 through the down-run mile.  I was asked not to bother with a return run -- don't know why, but it might have been because the sun was nearing the horizon and the sundial (used for timing slower vehicles) was no longer accurate. . . :?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 12:53:35 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bigd1

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 10:09:24 AM »
Slim This Shoot out is open to the fans to come out and watch correct?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »
You dang betcha it's open.  You'll need to deal with Land's End Lynda at the gate, though - and that means she'll hold you there if there's a vehicle about to run -- "course lockdown".  You can go out after that run is over -- and stay out there -- in approved locations - during runs.  The pits are open - but again, subject to the pit security team (Nancy and me), telling you to stay here or there or something when there's activity.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Ole Don

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 09:44:50 AM »
For this event, its a really good idea to have a working CB. I use a hand held with about a three foot antena. Folks are welcome to sit and listen in the spectator area located at the six mile mark. SSS gets us a porta pottie, so we are set.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 12:13:26 PM »
Here's another few photos from Ron Main -- in re:  The Speed Demon '11.  I'll include his comments, too:

We just dynoed our 347 cu. in. Duttweiler Hellfire Engine
    with the new twin 82 1/2 mm Turbonetics "Demon" turbos (patent pending), North of 2,200 Wicked hp. at full boost.
Even at low boost 1,800 HP. @ 24 lb and 1.305 ft-lb.
  The "speed Demon" crew is working around clock.
Getting the car ready for speed week. 

DO NOT FEED AFTER MIDNIGHT

KENNEY DUTTWEILER AND KEITH McMILLAN FITING OUR NEW AIR BOX.

TALK ABOUT WICKED THIS IS A DUTTWEILER 500 CI. 3500 HP.
BIG BLOCK

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline sabat

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 12:46:59 PM »
Beautiful!  Those V8s are almost as efficient as a modern motorcycle engine, and I'm not being sarcastic, it's really amazing work, especially considering the application - not a drag motor. Can't wait to read the results (maybe hear online Jon??)   :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 12:56:50 PM »
We sure hope you'll be able to hear the sound from SpeedWeek on line.  Maybe the Shootout, too. . .  I'm working out of the audio part of the system today.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline racer

• Impound 2009. sweetest spot at Bonneville.
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 02:03:43 PM »
INCREDIBLE........

Here's another few photos from Ron Main -- in re:  The Speed Demon '11.  I'll include his comments, too:

We just dynoed our 347 cu. in. Duttweiler Hellfire Engine
    with the new twin 82 1/2 mm Turbonetics "Demon" turbos (patent pending), North of 2,200 Wicked hp. at full boost.
Even at low boost 1,800 HP. @ 24 lb and 1.305 ft-lb.
  The "speed Demon" crew is working around clock.
Getting the car ready for speed week. 

DO NOT FEED AFTER MIDNIGHT

KENNEY DUTTWEILER AND KEITH McMILLAN FITING OUR NEW AIR BOX.

TALK ABOUT WICKED THIS IS A DUTTWEILER 500 CI. 3500 HP.
BIG BLOCK

Ray C Wheeler