Author Topic: World Finals 2011  (Read 43648 times)

Offline 55chevr

Re: World Finals 2011
« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2011, 05:07:07 PM »
rough session so far ... any chance of clearing?

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2011, 05:30:05 PM »
I wouldn't bet on it. 

Offline JamesJ

« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2011, 05:57:52 PM »
October is always weird, one time it was cancelled the day before we left, another time we went it was called off two days into it.

Offline rfross

• My Road to Bonneville
« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2011, 07:57:29 PM »
Ray - thanks for putting up the photo of the Chevette. As you already know, I like interesting four-bangers and that sure qualifies as one.

Jon - kudos to you, too, for the shot of the Mustang II which is another four-banger.

Bob
2007 GMC Canyon 2.9 4 cylinder USFRA 130 class build. Follow my build at www.myroadtobonneville.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2011, 08:20:04 PM »
Ray - thanks for putting up the photo of the Chevette. As you already know, I like interesting four-bangers and that sure qualifies as one.

Jon - kudos to you, too, for the shot of the Mustang II which is another four-banger.

Bob

X2.

The Chevette actually makes sense for a production class - nice install.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2011, 08:30:20 PM »
Well -- Max has hit the trail for home*, and Nancy and I are about ready to set sail come morning.  We'll stay around 'til the BNI board tells us it's okay to leave (as volunteers we stay 'til they say to leave, understand).  I've already canceled the morning pumping of the porta potties.  How's that for taking this duty seriously?

The weather back home looks great:  http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Skandia&state=MI&site=MQT&textField1=46.38&textField2=-87.23.

We'll get home in about three days, by which time -- the fall colors oughta still be fine.  Come on up for a look-see -- this is the time of year that the Chamber of Commerce brags about.

As for the Wendover Chamber of Commerce -- I don't remember them talking about the wet and windy days, like today has been.

Whatever -- I'll still let you know if I hear anything more about the event and the potential cancellation.  But for now -- it's time to enjoy the local cuisine.  Last night the Salt Flats Cafe -- tonight a half-price buffet.  Then, best of all -- three days of road food.  Mmm, good :roll:

*  I've asked it before -- and will ask you folks again.  Max is kind of shy about the audio streaming, but if you'd type a few words of thanks directly to him -- I'd sure appreciate it.  I'll start a "Thanks, Max" thread where you can do just that.  I'll post this, start the thread and then come back here to add the link for your ease.  Thank you very much.

Here's a link for you to get to the "Thanks, Max" topic:  http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,10388.0.html
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 08:38:39 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2011, 08:33:06 PM »

Bob

X2.

The Chevette actually makes sense for a production class - nice install.

??? Looks like a fore-aft install in the engine, which I suspect means rear-wheel-drive and therefore gas coupe.  But then again, I've never had the urge to look under the hood of anything with an ecotech engine.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2011, 09:27:40 PM »
I think F/GC is what was on the window.  It was a pretty nice build, as far as I could see.  The twin Webers on the Ecotec looked kinda strange.  Before they opened the hood, I asked what motor was in it and the (apparent) owner said, "Quad-Four...I mean Ecotec."  The cam covers say Ecotec and I dunno how much difference there is in the 2 motors or if it would have made any difference as to which one was in it.  I wonder how the Variable Valve Timing would have worked with a carbureted motor.  It's a pity they never got to run.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #113 on: October 05, 2011, 10:08:45 PM »

??? Looks like a fore-aft install in the engine, which I suspect means rear-wheel-drive and therefore gas coupe.  But then again, I've never had the urge to look under the hood of anything with an ecotech engine.

Mike
The chevette was rear wheel drive, having an engine that was not available keeps it out of production class.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2011, 10:27:09 PM »
Huh!  Learn something new every day on this site!   :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2011, 01:16:12 AM »
I am 99.999 percent certain the eventwill be called, one track is closed and one is wet with more rain.

Good luck racers..even with so very little chance of it clearing up it is one of the best places to be.   :cheers:

Drive safe on the way home everyone.

Offline GH

« Reply #116 on: October 06, 2011, 08:12:34 AM »
A friend of mine ran a Chevette back in the early 90s. It was Offy powered, had a spoiler, probably ALT or CC, not sure. With the short wheel base I remember he spun quite a few times, I think he ran around 198, not sure on that.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: October 06, 2011, 09:42:59 AM »
It's cool but clear here this morning.  I went down to the lobby for coffee and the sign says that BNI is surveying the situation and will make an announcement about cancelling the event - sometime after 8AM local time (that's in about 20 minutes).  Since they're out there, though -- we might not hear the word for a while.

That said -- John, I expect you're right.  It was rainy as the dickens last evening, with temps down below 40F as Nancy and I came back from supper.  That isn't good track-drying weather.

Stay tuned for official word, and also don't forget that the SCTA website might have the official word even sooner than I can get it to you.  www.scta-bni.org
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: October 06, 2011, 10:15:02 AM »
RAy Buck just called from the lake -- 4 - 8 inches of water between Land's End and the pits, and the event, he reports, is officially cancelled.  We're headed to the lobby to see if it's posted there yet. 

It's over, folks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Larrys24

• New folks
« Reply #119 on: October 06, 2011, 10:29:48 AM »
Any word on what will be done with entry fees ?