Author Topic: Electric Vehicles: Miles Per Gallon vs. Miles Per KwH  (Read 6082 times)

Offline RansomT

Re: Electric Vehicles: Miles Per Gallon vs. Miles Per KwH
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2023, 06:42:02 PM »
Going to throw out a fact here that may shed some light on the orginal question.

While I was in Florida recently, I rented a Polestar 2 from Hertz for nearly a week ($41 a day).  I used the public charging stations at the Premium Outlet Mall near Bradenton.  My math showed the equivalent of 35-37 mpg compared to if I had purchased gasoline at the current local prices.  To put things in perspective, my wifes new Hybrid Honda CRV gets 38-39 mpg.  My RAM 1500 crew cab gets over 30 mpg with the ECO diesel engine.

Offline tortoise

« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2023, 09:46:37 PM »
Charging stations seem to be a giant ripoff. The real savings are if you home charge. Here in western Washington right now, (using Lemming's terms), leccy is 11 cents per kWh and petrol is $4.39 per gallon. By the way, our electrons are pretty damn low carbon due to the hydroelectric dams on the Columbia. Anyhow, that makes for a fuel cost savings of around $12,000 per hundred thousand miles. There are so many imponderables about EVs I don't really know if they make economic sense for the user or not. My wife wants a new SUV and I think we'll get a Toyota Highlander Hybrid.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2023, 10:08:02 PM »
Good data, Ransom.  Thanks for the real-world comparison.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2023, 11:19:52 AM »
Looking at Toyota's plans for the next several years, they are focusing on Hybrid models. Certainly, for a one-car household, the plug-in hybrid vehicles look to be a good choice. Also, home charging is the best choice for $$$. BEVs are working for me with my second vehicle an IC minivan.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline desotoman

« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2023, 04:49:26 PM »
The real savings are if you home charge. Here in western Washington right now, (using Lemming's terms), leccy is 11 cents per kWh and petrol is $4.39 per gallon.

This brings up another big variable in this equation and that is how much you pay for your electricity. I pay 0.23 cents per KWH, and that is on tier one, which allows me to use 1000 KWH every billing cycle, which is two months. If I go over that I get switched to tier 2 which increases the amount per KWH and increases my billing fee for the use of electricity. There is also a tier 3 which again increases everything. So during the Summer when using the A/C all the time in Los Angeles sometimes I go into tier 2. If I had to charge an EV vehicle at home I might go into tier 3. I have heard some areas around here charge as much as 0.38 cents a KWH. OUCH, IMO. If you have installed solar panels that is another factor with its own expense. Interesting for sure.

Tom G. 
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline noboD

« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2023, 08:54:45 AM »
Holy crap. Ours is high enough at around .10 with all the fees that attach to it.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2023, 11:31:42 AM »
We're served by an REA co-op electric utility.  They're pretty good at keeping the power on despite all the snow and trees and the fact that they've got damn few customers i n our remote area.  That's why I don't complain much about our electricity bills. 

The "rate" we pay is about 15 cents/kWh.  Add tax, license, and title (so to speak) and the total is about 24 cents/kWh.  About 700 kWh/month yields bills about $150-180 every 30 days.

Might as well extrapolate a bit more:  I'll start with a hypothetical EV that gets 4.5 mi/kWh and has a battery range of 250 miles, so it needs 55 1/2 kWh at $.24 each to go 250 mi.      $13.33

My truck gets 25 mpg, and at $3.50 gallon -- $35.00

Please pleasE PleAse don't bother to point out the lack of rigour in my calculations, suppositions, and assumptions.  I just wanted to run my personal numbers to, as it were, put some salt on the tail of the issue - give me an Ewag rather than a blind-ass guess.   
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2023, 02:26:56 PM »
BTW - I just got my 2020 Nissan Leaf SV back from the local dealer - after replacing the 40kWh battery which expired 3 weeks ago. 33 months and 32,000 miles since new purchase the IP went crazy with warnings, so I drove it (limping) to my dealer. NissanUSA had them remove the battery and check the 24 modules. Nissan warranted the whole battery which arrived yesterday (one week after ordering replacement) and I drove it away today after installation and electronics update. NO COST to me under the battery 36 month 36,000 miles warrantee. I was without the Leaf for 3 weeks - but that is okay.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2023, 04:41:21 PM »
Dick, good to hear the battery signaled death 3 months early... could have been pricey in March  :wink:
You are a lucky guy, did ya buy a lottery ticket on the way home...  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O