Author Topic: Bill Burke/Clarke Cagle streamliner  (Read 60166 times)

Offline bvillercr

Re: Bill Burke/Clarke Cagle streamliner
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2009, 12:17:45 PM »
Wow, just noticed the name at the bottom.  Thanks Dan.

Troy needs glasses Langlo

dwarner

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2009, 12:25:38 PM »
I meant Troy, not John. Should have noticed the name - see we all do it.

DW

Offline Bville701

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2009, 01:11:16 PM »
There's a lot of work going into Marlo's streamliner. I can't wait to see it run!!!
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline desotoman

« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2009, 02:07:36 PM »
If BATB isn't FR under an assumed name he must be related in some way. BATB I'm glad to see you have found a mentor worthy of you.

Rich,
That hit my funny bone. Thanks.  :cheers:
Tom G.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 02:09:38 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Model A coupe

« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2009, 10:58:50 PM »
Nope, it crashed and destroyed the car. Driver was hurt but ok.

Crashed in 1970.I have some 8mm movies of it before it crashed that year.Had top mounted blower.

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2009, 11:45:42 AM »
hey trollbird:

i still have questions regarding this streamliner that you have yet to answer:

• what can you tell me about this car?  i mean, besides what it says in the article?

what do you know about front mount blower drives?

what kind of overdrive do you think they achieved in those days?

what can you tell us about bill burke: one of my favorite fondling fathers of this sport in which, most of us here, have participated?

what do you know about the driver who was injured when this car crashed?

do you know his name?

do you know the name of his stepson?

do you know what year the car crashed?

how many drivers were killed in that fateful year?

except for the front mount blower drive, what makes this car similar to the larsen and cummins streamliner?

since you started this threat, maybe you can keep it on topic.
gregory w. gillette
aka: monty wolf (not monte wolfe)

"fear is never boring!"

read all about it: http://montywolf.blogspot.com/

Offline DallasV

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2009, 11:54:44 AM »
I believe Burklands ran a front mounted blower on the Datsun trying to get Betty a record. If I remember correctly they had issues with it. If your really interested you could ask someone from team Burkland about the experience they had with it.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2009, 12:16:52 PM »
If your really interested you could ask someone from team Burkland about the experience they had with it.

i really want to know trollbird's knowledge on this subject.

as an expert on all things lsr/alsr i find his insight priceless!
gregory w. gillette
aka: monty wolf (not monte wolfe)

"fear is never boring!"

read all about it: http://montywolf.blogspot.com/

Offline sabat

« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2009, 12:30:28 PM »
Please don't feed the trolls.

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2009, 09:22:08 PM »
I believe Burklands ran a front mounted blower on the Datsun trying to get Betty a record. If I remember correctly they had issues with it. If your really interested you could ask someone from team Burkland about the experience they had with it.

Thanks for the info

I know a guy thats thinking of building a nostalgia dragster for the NHRA reunions and nostalgia races. I will find out thanks again

Offline sabat

« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2009, 09:24:37 PM »
Go away BA57, you're a troll.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Offline Freud

« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2009, 12:56:24 AM »
If it's OK to post regarding a front mount blower and not interfere with the back stabbing, I'll post 3 fotos that I did today of Treit's streamliner build. I will be adding to his build site in the next few days.

This post will show Marlo and Hume's approach to the front mounted blower.

Treit's lakester was a test bed for engine development for the streamliner. Marlo used a PSI blower. It was a top mounted application on the KB engines, driven by a belt. For several years they were not successful. The belts were not capable of transmitting the necessary power to drive the blower. Several cooling devises were used and still the belts jumped off before the end of the first timed mile.( 2 to the 3 ) In order to get adequate air from the PSI the overdrive was 2.1:1. Gates sent a factory rep to the salt and observed but they still could not develop a belt that eliminated the catostrophic explosions.

Les Davenport, driver and engineering consultant on the 678 lakester and the 'liner, built an overdrive unit that spun the blower fast enough for the desired boost and slowed the belt speed down to a manageable ft/min. Using that unit, on the the first run, the belt stayed on and they were timed through the first measured mile. They replaced the belt and decided to attempt multiple runs on the new belt. After two successful passes it was determined that the belt would be replaced every two runs. That was adequate for the car to establish records above 300 MPH. The lakester has not run for a long time and two passes was the most any belt has experienced. But, the data that they needed to establish had been determined. It's much more thrifty to replace a belt than a 500 inch KB after lifting the blower, windowing the block, ballooning all the aft body panels and leaving Les unable to hear for 2 days and his ears ringing for 14 days.

This information was the basis for the design of the blower drive for the liner. The switch to Whipple blowers provided more air at a lower blower speed.The Whipple only needs an overdrive of 1.45:1. Pulley size and belt length was a problem off the crank of the lakester. There wasn't enough room for a larger crank pulley to get the desired blower RPM and even if they did accomplish that, the ft/min was still too high. On the streamliner, pulley size is not a problem. There is enough room for whatever is needed, so the blower is driven off of the crank by a  short belt that doesn't have to spin the blower as fast. The drive for the Whipples is through the back plate of the blower. It is offset and all of the needed clearance is available. The stress on the belt is no longer a function considering the reduced RPM and lesser ft/min on the belt.

I do not have a foto that shows the pulley drive off of the crank but it does show the pulley on the Whipple and the relationship of the blower to the engine location. Driving through the back plate gives the proper rotation for the blower.

Problem solved? He sure as hell hopes so........

FREUD
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 02:37:55 AM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2009, 01:19:05 AM »
Through all that great Hume workmanship one can see the glaze of iron oxide on anything iron-derived.

Good old Washington State . Fort Lewis, '58/'60.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Freud

« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2009, 01:33:47 AM »
Bystander....u all wrong. The entire chassis is coated with KY Jelly.

It's easy to slip into and never dries out.

A Pacific Northwest Speed Secret revealed.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Jim Demmitt Jr

• NHRA T/S 7360
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2009, 01:59:57 AM »
If it's OK to post regarding a front mount blower and not interfere with the back stabbing, I'll post 3 fotos that I did today of Treit's streamliner build. I will be adding to his build site in the next few days.

This post will show Marlo and Hume's approach to the front mounted blower.

Treit's lakester was a test bed for engine development for the streamliner. Marlo used a PSI blower. It was a top mounted application on the KB engines, driven by a belt. For several years they were not successful. The belts were not capable of transmitting the necessary power to drive the blower. Several cooling devises were used and still the belts jumped off before the end of the first timed mile.( 2 to the 3 ) In order to get adequate air from the PSI the overdrive was 2.1:1. Gates sent a factory rep to the salt and observed but they still could not develop a belt that eliminated the catostrophic explosions.

Les Davenport, driver and engineering consultant on the 678 lakester and the 'liner, built an overdrive unit that spun the blower fast enough for the desired boost and slowed the belt speed down to a manageable ft/min. Using that unit, on the the first run, the belt stayed on and they were timed through the first measured mile. They replaced the belt and decided to attempt multiple runs on the new belt. After two successful passes it was determined that the belt would be replaced every two runs. That was adequate for the car to establish records above 300 MPH. The lakester has not run for a long time and two passes was the most any belt has experienced. But, the data that they needed to establish had been determined. It's much more thrifty to replace a belt than a 500 inch KB after lifting the blower, windowing the block, ballooning all the aft body panels and leaving Les unable to hear for 2 days and his ears ringing for 14 days.

This information was the basis for the design of the blower drive for the liner. The switch to Whipple blowers provided more air at a lower blower speed.The Whipple only needs an overdrive of 1.45:1. Pulley size and belt length was a problem off the crank of the lakester. There wasn't enough room for a larger crank pulley to get the desired blower RPM and even if they did accomplish that, the ft/min was still too high. On the streamliner, pulley size is not a problem. There is enough room for whatever is needed, so the blower is driven off of the crank by a  short belt that doesn't have to spin the blower as fast. The drive for the Whipples is through the back plate of the blower. It is offset and all of the needed clearance is available. The stress on the belt is no longer a function considering the reduced RPM and lesser ft/min on the belt.

I do not have a foto that shows the pulley drive off of the crank but it does show the pulley on the Whipple and the relationship of the blower to the engine location. Driving through the back plate gives the proper direction for the blower.

Problem solved? He sure as hell hopes so........

FREUD

Thanks

Great info and pictures to better understand the setup the front mount blower
AR Ford Boss Hemi 526ci
Jim Demmitt Jr. Racing NHRA T/S 7360
Blown Alcohol 57tbird

JDR Web page
http://fordflashback.com/jd_fords.asp
A/FX- Pro Stock Rare Factory Ford drag cars