Author Topic: World Finals 2011  (Read 43580 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
World Finals 2011
« on: October 02, 2011, 08:35:19 PM »
Nancy and I leave the house tomorrow morning to fly back to SLC, where our pickup has spent the last week, and then drive to Wendover to get our trailer (which needed rewiring 'cause it was vandalised while in the SLC area between SpeedWeek and WoS).  Then -- on to the salt for the last Bonneville event of the year.  We might or might not run a bike, 'specially now that I see the weather doesn't look great for the last half of the event.  But we'll be there to offer coverage of the entire thing -- from inspection, which will start Monday (before we get there) and Tuesday, and racing Weds. through Saturday (weather permitting).  Max says he'll be there, too, so we oughta be offering audio again -- maybe better than ever, since he's had a couple of days to experiment with the mixer and so therefore might have both the CB AND 89.3 FM for your listening pleasure.

Speaking of audio and this website's coverage of stuff earlier this Bville season:  Many of you were kind enough to send a donation to the site during SW, WoS, and the Top Speed Shootout.  Enough of you that I haven't dug all of your names and emails out of the pile of incoming mails, and that's why you haven't received a personal thank you from me.  After this is over I WILL go through Paypal and identify you folks and offer my - and everyone that uses this site - thanks.  In the meantime, know that we appreciate your kindness -- it all goes a long way to keeping things on an even and happy keep here at landracing.com's galactic headquarters.

See you on the salt! :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
Re: World Finals 2011
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 08:41:50 PM »
Thanks for all you do.....................I'll be watching a Production 650 Triumph from Madison, Wisconsin, with interest..........a certain scribe from Cycle World may be in the pits.
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 08:46:23 PM »
I saw that column, too, and wondered then if this'll be my chance to meet the famous guy (Peter Egan, for those of you that don't read Cycle World - where he's a regular writer or a leader column.  He writes a good stick!).  The story didn't exactly say he was going to Bville, but rather that he was going to visit the guy that's building the bike -- but maybe, maybe -- he'll be looking for autographs from you and me. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline knucklenutz

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 09:34:55 PM »
I'm not 100% positive about Peter. But the owner ,rider and support guy left the Madison area mid week. They are all newbies. Can't wait to hear of their experience. Go Lou T. !

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 11:43:10 PM »
Wish the SCTA Website would have listed the pre-entries but I know there wasn't much time...We are packed and in the trailer with the roadster and are leaving at 4:00 AM....Hope the weather holds and we can actually run 2 classes if the Salt Gods are with us..Always a plan.......................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Freud

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 11:54:20 PM »
Jimmysix.......have it good and bring back something rusty for Jack's Garage.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 12:22:17 AM »
I've got his "Side Glances" compilations from Road and Track.  Always a great read.

In fact, one of his columns is what pushed me to follow through on the Midget.  He and a buddy were racing at an event.  Some guy came up and started talking with them, and said he wanted to race too.  After he left, Peter or his friend said, "He'll never do it."

I vowed not to be that guy.

If he should attend, let him know, in all sincerity, that if he wants to drive the Midget next year, to contact me.  It wouldn't exist if not for his writing.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 09:13:14 AM »
Leaving in 30 minutes for the salt, see ya there. : :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 10:05:31 AM »
Good luck everybody. I hope the weather stays fine for you to go really fast!
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 10:39:46 AM »
Here's the Weather Underground forecast for Wendover, Ut for the next 5 days:

Again this is for Wendover, not the salt flats.  There have been many times when Wendover's had rain and the storm has gone north and west of the salt. 

In any case, I'm leaving early tomorrow morning (only a 2 hour drive for me) with the intention of being there all week.  I hope I can post some good racing photos and none of that "other stuff."

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 11:00:35 AM »
Ray, that's pretty much my plan except it's a 4 hour drive for me.  :-D Wayno

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 11:32:13 AM »
A, 2 and 4 hour drive, that makes me sick.  :cheers:  It takes me about 9 hours. Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 11:52:08 AM »
12 hour drive here . . .
Who Has More Fun?

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 11:56:37 AM »
A, 2 and 4 hour drive, that makes me sick.  :cheers:  It takes me about 9 hours. Tony
Tony, it used to take considerably longer when I drove up from Pasadena. Moving closer to Bonneville wasn't an accident.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 12:05:11 PM »
Pork Pie (who is standing next to me at the moment) tells me that it only takes him 24 hour to fly from Germany, but his wings are very tired when he gets here.