Author Topic: Diesel Lakester Class  (Read 31561 times)

McRat

Re: Diesel Lakester Class
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2012, 12:50:29 PM »
... I could buy my bobcat either with the turbo Kubota (56 hp) or the non-turbo version (don't remember what hp rating).  Yes, the way to make big hp with a diesel is to force air into it, but they do exist and run and are commercially available.

To the best of my knowledge, no NA diesel powerplants are in today's cars.  You cannot make big power by putting a turbo on a NA diesel engine.  It grenades before it goes much past 1.5HP per CI.  At least with the production blocks and cranks.  There are factory 2012 emissions-compliant diesels that are over 1HP per CI.  We tune them to over 3HP/CI

Today's common rail turbo diesel is nothing like diesels from 11 years ago.  The Duramax changed everything.

Here's the rub:  While unlikely, if diesels start to yield more HP/CI than gas engines, will the LSR racers all swap engines to diesels to be competitive with the new records?  Or will there suddenly be new classes to allow the older gas stuff to still run?

:evil:

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2012, 12:52:46 PM »
You miss the point Pat. We all no time marches on. But the SCTA does not need to add these classes to be a viable series. Just look at yourself, you run a diesel, and race in the SCTA. Fastman can run a diesel too, just not in a new class.

You and Fastman can start a new racing organization..........
DTA, diesel timing association.    :wink:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

McRat

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2012, 12:59:13 PM »
You miss the point Pat. We all no time marches on. But the SCTA does not need to add these classes to be a viable series. Just look at yourself, you run a diesel, and race in the SCTA. Fastman can run a diesel too, just not in a new class.

:-P  There are already too many diesel associations.

Obviously I'm a diesel fanatic.  I put my opinion out there so folk can see that side.

But I'm also aware that electrics/hybrid racing will be huge in the next 10 years, not just diesel competitions (over 10,000 a month compete with diesels today, 200+ entries at one event is very common, and there are hundreds of events).  The SCTA does not HAVE to address it.  And it will eventually become NASCAR.  Only old technology will be running.  NASCAR is very successful, but it has nothing to do with "who's fastest".  And isn't "who's fastest" what the SCTA is all about?  
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 01:02:14 PM by McRat »

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2012, 01:14:11 PM »
I'll just add two thoughts,

The SCTA is much older than Nascar
&
We are the FASTEST wheel driven sport.............    8-)

See you at the lakebed.
Michael LeFevers

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2012, 02:21:08 PM »
I thought you were gonna be nice . . .

(to your elders).
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline RichFox

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2012, 02:42:15 PM »
Am I wrong? I thought you could run Propane in gas classes. And diesel in gas classes. And I have heard that propane and diesel runs very well togeather. Do the diesel guys use propane?

Offline Tman

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2012, 02:46:26 PM »
Am I wrong? I thought you could run Propane in gas classes. And diesel in gas classes. And I have heard that propane and diesel runs very well togeather. Do the diesel guys use propane?

Yes they do.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2012, 03:24:25 PM »
....and here's me thinking there was no place in gas class for propanity :cheers:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2012, 03:44:40 PM »

Obviously I'm a diesel fanatic.  I put my opinion out there so folk can see that side.

But I'm also aware that electrics/hybrid racing will be huge in the next 10 years, not just diesel competitions (over 10,000 a month compete with diesels today, 200+ entries at one event is very common, and there are hundreds of events).  The SCTA does not HAVE to address it.  And it will eventually become NASCAR.  Only old technology will be running.  NASCAR is very successful, but it has nothing to do with "who's fastest".  And isn't "who's fastest" what the SCTA is all about?  

Guess I'm confused. If it's about who's the fastest, why is there a claim that they can't compete against gas engines, and therefore should have another class? :evil:

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline SteveM

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2012, 04:38:48 PM »
Why not run fuelers against gassers?
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

McRat

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2012, 04:39:45 PM »

You can use a LITTLE propane or water/methanol injection for hotrodding diesels.  There is a fine line between OK, and KAPOW.  Generally, at about 100HP gain, things go bad rapidly.  It's not a good power adder for diesels, but helps fuel economy.  Nobody who is winning is using either one.  Too risky for the small gain.

Now nitrous is whole nuther animal.  You can spray the snot out of a diesel without problems.  500rwhp or more at a touch of a button.  Diesels run "dry nitrous".  You don't add fuel externally, nor in the programming.  You might want to retard the main injection a little, like 4 deg, but that's only to surpress "bursting".  Bursting is normally harmless.  When you spray too much nitrous in, it chills the air charge down too much, so the diesel fuel will not ignite when injected, and the engine just dies, like you hit a kill switch.  

McRat

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2012, 04:42:05 PM »

Guess I'm confused. If it's about who's the fastest, why is there a claim that they can't compete against gas engines, and therefore should have another class? :evil:

Well if fastest is nothing but MPH, diesel owns anything running SCTA today.  Most jet powered cars run diesel fuel. :evil:

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2012, 05:08:56 PM »
Why not run fuelers against gassers?

Been more than a few fuel records set on gasoline, matter of fact one was reset in 2010 by a real fuel motor, after it was held by a parts washer run engine since 2004. A/BFR.
Michael LeFevers

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2012, 08:20:26 AM »
Jet Fuel is Not Diesel, Closer to Kerosene :-D
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2012, 12:05:32 PM »
Back in the late 80s - when I was selling ford trucks - I had a customer that bought lots of cab/chassis units on which they'd mount their product - a de-icer coating machine/system.  They would convert the diesel engines to be able to run on jet fuel -- which burned about like the kerosene.  BUT - the jet fuel had much lower lubricity than regular diesel, so they had to modify each and every fuel pump and so on to live with the jet stuff.

So - the "kero" jet fuel burns about right - just isn't good for the engine's tiny little parts.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com