Author Topic: land speed surface hypothetical  (Read 15616 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: land speed surface hypothetical
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2008, 01:17:16 PM »
MM:

In re the #999 Ford Fusion -- the number swap was quite a subject of discussion here and at the Salt last year.  Sam Wheeler, of the E-Z Hook bike 'liner, holds 999, and was asked by Ford if he would yield it for this Fusion's attempts.  He did, they ran, and now (I presume) Sam has full use of the number once again.  But yes, there was talk of the history and meaning behind the new Ford running with that number.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JB

• New folks
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2008, 01:28:38 PM »
Didn't Henry Ford set an early record running a model T or Model A on the ice?

91.37 mph, Lake St. Claire, 1904.  The Ford "Arrow" was not a production car, but was similar to #999 that Barney Oldfield raced.  The "T" wouldn't appear for another 4 years.

I found it interesting and sad that Ford used #999 last year on their hydrogen Fusion, and that only a hand full of true race fans ever made the connection.  Nobody in the press caught it, and even Ford's own PR folks didn't seem to realize the symbolism of the number, or that it was a nod to an early chapter in Ford's racing history.

Ford definately knew and included this in their marketing material.  I am sure that the car is on some kind of a tour and there will be placards with comparisons of the milestones being broken.  
Ford 999 Vehicle Facts:

Year: Originally constructed in October of 1902.
Designer: Henry Ford
Drivers: Barney Oldfield, Harley Cunningham, Tom Cooper, & Henry Ford
Engine: Inline 4 cylinder
Displacement: 18.8 litres (1155.3 ci) - 7.25" bore & 7" stroke!
Horsepower: Approximately 50
Cost: $5,000 (a considerable sum in 1902)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2008, 06:57:03 PM »
JB and SSS

I appreciate your insights into this - Kudos to Sam for being so generous with his number - I've no doubt that salt racers understood its significance.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2008, 01:57:54 PM »
I Know it may not suit you cold weather types, but I have heard that NASA will rent their runway at Cape Kennedy for $5000 per day.  Looking at it with Google Earth and it looks to be about 18,000 feet of usable space about 200+ feet wide. 

Now if dragsters can do 300 in the 1/4 (yes with traction compund and ridicuilous HP) someone should be able to do 400-500 in a mile.

2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2008, 07:50:16 PM »
hummm there may be a problem with the FAA....lets figger this out 5G a day times 2 (one day for set up and teck as well as course walk and prep and 1 day for the race) 3g for insurance and 2g for people, support and logistics...thats 15g..devided by 60 entries thats $250 per entry...oh wait i forgot trophies and awards....hummmmm

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2008, 03:30:24 AM »
The FAA has no jurisdiction over the uses of an aircraft runway on a military base,
Edwards is another example of groomed concrete and has already been used for LSR with a kilo and a mile, surveyed, pinned, and documented. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2008, 06:50:52 AM »
Well whatrwewaiting fir?  Let's go use Edwards!

Oops, I fergot.  It's a gument thing.

Sorry.
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2008, 08:12:33 AM »
15g for a multi vehicle event! A bargain.

In the UK it will cost an individual about 20g US $ equivalent to run one day of an official speed record attempt on an airfield. 

The main thing is that the USAF have surfaced some fine runways over here - top specification, but mostly less than 11,000 feet. 

Malcolm
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2008, 10:01:56 AM »
Well whatrwewaiting fir?  Let's go use Edwards!

Oops, I fergot.  It's a gument thing.

Sorry.
Go back and look at the discussion about Jesse James,  and his Belly Tanker that ran at Edwards.  That will give you a clue about what we are up against in trying to get Edwards opened up for land speed trials.

carl "are you ready for another alternative?" Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2008, 12:22:12 PM »
The James event is not representative of the legitimate LSR use of the concrete runway at Edwards.
 While it was allowed to get out of hand, did nothing more than teach the hosts to be more responsible in the future.
The proper use of the surface for speed attempts, predates that stunt quite a bit, and only served to better educate the people that manage the use of the facility.
The right people doing it, do it right.
Their mission at Edwards is R+D, and it is a business.:wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Ratliff

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2008, 10:30:44 AM »
For the purpose of the really fastest vehicles, as loose, and rough as it might seem, only a natural surface has been proven suitable.
Man made surfaces, to date, have at least a "swim" in them that does not work well.
The longest concrete runways for example also are poured in panels that tend to erode over time in the middle and stay higher on the edges, creating a repeated bump.
Surfaces like asphalt also react to temperature changes that cause it to expand and contract , regardless of the original surface conditions. :wink:

Fastest speed run on the Mulsanne straight was over 250 mph, and that was BEFORE they flattened the hills.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2008, 11:03:02 AM »
Now that is a track!  They had to put the chicanes in because the cars were so fast at the end of the straight away and couldn’t make the turn resulting in going of the track and into the trees at the end.  They may have removed the trees also, but when we were there 20 years ago the trees were definitely there.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Ratliff

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2008, 11:23:15 AM »

In 1987 at the Fort Stockton test track, driving the Oldsmobile Aerotech streamliner Indy car through the flying mile, A.J. Foyt set a record of 267.399 mph with a best one-way speed of 278.357 mph. Outside of a dragstrip, these are, to the best of my knowledge, the highest speeds ever run on pavement by a piston engine wheel-driven car.

Ratliff

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2008, 11:44:01 AM »

In the mid thirties, the Germans built a seven mile straight stretch of autobahn for use in an attempt on the LSR by the Mercedes-Benz Type 80 (T-80) streamliner. Unfortunately, Hitler invaded Poland when the T-80 was still about a month away from road trials, but earlier the autobahn course had been used by the Mercedes-Benz and Auto Union grand prix teams for setting class speed records through the flying kilo. The best one-way speed during these trails was 271 mph.

The specifications for the T-80 were 19 square feet frontal area, 6,380 pounds dry weight, and 3,000 horsepower at 3,200 rpm (projected). Other features of the T-80 included direct drive with a lock-up centrifugal slipper clutch and inverted wings.

Calculated performance for the T-80 at 3,000 horsepower was 373 mph after 3.7 miles of acceleration. The brakes were designed to stop it from 373 mph in 25 seconds in 1.4 miles, an average deceleration rate of .68g.

Ratliff

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2008, 11:49:41 AM »
We do have some input regarding the question.
Back in the early 1990's we were running at around 160mph at Bonneville with our sidecar.
(note a sidecar will always have a traction problem with one corner driving)
We shipped the outfit to Europe where we ran on asphalt........same Bonneville gearing........ran
in the high 180mph........Traction....Traction.......
Traction................

Pavement has about double the traction of salt.