Author Topic: Thrust powered cars  (Read 5909 times)

Offline charliebb

• New folks
Thrust powered cars
« on: March 25, 2011, 06:52:26 PM »
Outside of drag strips. Where does one run a trust powered car these days?

On the Bonnevilleracing.com website they state thrust cars are allowed; however , the have not returned my email on this subject.

Could anyone here help me in this quest

Many thanks,

Charlie

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Thrust powered cars
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 07:12:16 PM »
SCTA/BNI does not allow jet or thrust powered vehicles to run during the events. Any others are run on private time.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 09:07:01 PM »
Glen, Could they run at the Shoot Out?
Richard
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 09:12:42 PM »
Yes.  The Shoot-Out is a private event, not SCTA.  The jet motorcycle ran there recently.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 09:15:07 PM »
I guess that would be up to Cook and if the jet team wants to pay for the insurance.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 09:24:12 PM »
What about turbine wheel driven vehicles (like Visco's liner) can they run at a scat meet.
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 09:29:56 PM »
The rule book shows spec's for wheel driven turbines and several records, fastest being 427.832 mph. I know you have a rule book..... :-D
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 09:33:53 PM »
Just chatten Friday night boredom
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline charliebb

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 09:46:45 PM »
Hello All,

I checked out the Shootout after I saw the response on the board here.  That is for a little more than we are aiming for out of the hole.

Our car is a corvette with a 3,000 lb thrust engine.

Our car is not wheel driven ( rear diff and driveshaft ) we are using the thrust of the engine only and not using a turboshaft turbine.  If we did I think we could show up at speed week and run.

We have the powerplants to get the horsepower that is needed to get to 200+

We really don't care about running in a class of cars just making a vehicle to go 200 or 300 that is engineered to go that speed safely as one can.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 11:36:25 PM »
i do not think you can show up at Speed Week and run. SCTA does not run Jet cars. You might get to run at WoS. But I would bet against Speed Week.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 02:35:06 AM »
I would definitely clear it with the organizers of any event before you made the effort to travel to the event. A thrust powered vehicle requires a whole different protocol to run from the normal starting positions and would be very disruptive to a normal event with their large lineups. The reason that the Shootout is able to handle such an entrant is the limited number of competitors. A drag strip is probably your best venue to test your vehicle.

Pete

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 09:46:20 AM »
Regarding the thrust powered vehicle being disruptive on the starting lane - maybe not. Assuming the Corvette in discussion is powered by a turbojet, not a rocket, it would be no more disruptive than Vesco's liner while "idling" at the start line. Maybe that is still too much disruption.

Pushing the idling Corvette away from the start line, it would be able to "light up" to full power farther down the course where the jet exhaust would not be disruptive.

It's still probably best to run the thrust-powered vehicle at a private event until this aspect can be sorted out through actual observation. Maybe the WoS officials could send an observer.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 10:22:21 AM »
It continues to amaze me the number of individuals that feel they can build whatever they want and then it's up to the sanctioning bodies to build a class for them, even if it's for them alone. When you join a club, why not conform to the club rules? If that doesn't suit you then form your own club and put in the work, time and money to run your own event. JMHO

Pete

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 11:48:27 AM »
"It continues to amaze me the number of individuals that feel they can build whatever they want and then it's up to the sanctioning bodies to build a class for them, even if it's for them alone."

I agree.  That's what NASCAR is for.  Let's direct them to the Daytona 500 which surely would accommodate them.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 12:03:47 PM »
The Vesco liner exhaust is directed straight up and has only 60 psi at full power. It has no effect of driving the car as far as thrust. A jet as you want to run would blow salt dust for several feet behind the car. Taking it down course to fire it up would require special provisions and extra time while other racers set in line waiting to run. Not gonna happen at a SCTA meet.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah