Author Topic: Landing an airplane on the salt  (Read 4803 times)

Offline WZ JUNK

Landing an airplane on the salt
« on: August 07, 2004, 08:27:00 AM »
Where can I find information about landing a small plane on the salt?  I have seen small planes land there but I need to know more about it.

<small>[ August 07, 2004, 07:28 AM: Message edited by: WZ JUNK ]</small>
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
Re: Landing an airplane on the salt
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 11:51:00 PM »
There is a major issue with depth perception on surfaces without structure or known bits of information like Grass or concrete squares..  I've seen two folks prang planes into the salt so far... mostly because they weren't trained pilots capable of handling the situation...

without a radar encoding altimeter or a surface reference like a flare or something else to provide altitude reference's I'd strongly recommend keeping your plane in Wendover...or taking a cab...

Keith Turk
 Master Aviator Us Army retired...
 BS professional aeronautic's Embry Riddle ...
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2004, 01:48:00 AM »
I concour with Turk. Watch your depth perception.
 I made a low pass over the course, years back. Had to focus on the foothills to keep a level attitude.
push truck driver

Offline k.h.

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 01:37:00 PM »
Take along some yellow or amber lensed polarized glasses. Improves surface definition of solid white surroundings, based on a dozen years' winter flying in the Frozen North.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2004, 08:46:00 PM »
It was pretty cool a few years back when a guy landed a low wing and put his tail in the air and the prop in the salt. Soft spot
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

landracing

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2004, 11:17:00 PM »
JImmy,

yeah I think that was the year FCC (or whatever organization that is) was out there in 100 degree heat in suits.

I think It may have been Marlo?

jonathan