Author Topic: U.S. LSR team attempting steam record  (Read 6738 times)

Offline Schruiber

• Granite Falls High School Eco Car Teams
U.S. LSR team attempting steam record
« on: February 03, 2011, 04:20:55 PM »
T-2011 - Granite Falls HS UrbanAutos Diesel - 31.16668MPH over the measured mile  at WoS 2011.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: U.S. LSR team attempting steam record
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 06:30:19 PM »
Looks like a good start on a steamliner  :roll:  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

HotRodV8

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 06:39:27 PM »
In science class way back when, I was taught that steam power was "all mighty powerful."

I think the steam record is a soft one.

I always like to see something new, different and off the beaten path. Have fun. Best of luck guys.

DocBeech

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 06:51:58 PM »
I am interested in learning some other things about this engine. Life? Mileage? Downsides of the engine? Are they going to build a gas version? I know they talked about a gas version but will they develope the gas engine version. An engine that small would be fun to play with placement wise. Although its a very wide engine. I would love to get my hands on one and see how it performs. They don't speak of the torque?

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 07:48:01 PM »
Ya missed it: "The engine used in the LSR Streamliner will be a stock 6-cylinder Cyclone Mark V automotive engine, intended for use in regular cars. It is said to be capable of producing 100 HP with a maximum starting torque of 850 ft/lbs..."

Tons of info via Bing or Google.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 08:15:26 PM »
Schruiber,
What exactly is that in your profile pic?

Funny how competitive the human spirit is, nobody runs on a somewhat obscure record, and now there are two potentially shooting it out!

This certainly looks more modern streamlined designed than the British attempt, wonder how the two compare?

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 08:26:48 PM »
This makes these folks our " 'Steamed Colleagues".  I've often heard of these (usually in meetings) but now we got us some!

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 08:35:11 PM »
The scta record holder used a steam turbine... fairly small as I remember it, in a fairly large vehicle.  I remember when they went fast enough to lose the glass.... car from Denver.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 09:18:40 PM »
This makes these folks our " 'Steamed Colleagues".  I've often heard of these (usually in meetings) but now we got us some!
Dan

Very good Dan, :cheers:

bit disappointed you didn't get in first Jerry? :-P
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 11:58:26 PM »
I agree that the steam record, both the SCTA's and the one that the Brits set a while back are soft, but I think it will take more than 100 hps. I always thought the Brit's car was a little to "spacey" and not very aero.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Schruiber

• Granite Falls High School Eco Car Teams
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 12:44:58 AM »
sockjohn,  the "thing" in my picture is a 1:10 scale model of our Shell Eco-marathon Urban Concept car, modified as it will run at World of Speed this September.  I believe we are the first ever High School bringing their own car design to Bonneville and running on B20 bio diesel alternative fuel.  Attached document details it a bit more. I or the team will soon make an official post about it - needless to say we are very excited about this  :-)

Michael
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 12:54:39 AM by Schruiber »
T-2011 - Granite Falls HS UrbanAutos Diesel - 31.16668MPH over the measured mile  at WoS 2011.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 10:58:29 AM »
If you were a snake oil salesman you would want to go after a soft record too. Nothing like a world record to make your imaginary engine seem like something you should invest in.

But wait! There's more!

Check out how this thing works.
http://www.cyclonepower.com/works.html
"Patented centrifugal combustion chamber" heats the water to 1200º F in 5 seconds! Where does the air come from to support this combustion? I'm pretty sure if I put my teapot in the shuttle's exhaust I might get 1200º F in 5 seconds. They are trying to downplay the excessive amount of time it must take to produce usable steam pressures.

"Steam enters the six radial-configured cylinders under pressures up to 3200 psi to push the pistons down in sequence.  Note, no motor oil is used – water is both the working fluid and engine lubricant." The Bulls**t alarm went up to max scale upon reading this. Anybody here try water as a lubricant? 3200 psi? That better be one hell-for-stout motor. That's over 40,000 pounds of force on a 4" piston.

"The rotating action of the pistons connected through a patent-pending spider bearing (not pictured) turns the crank shaft." I love vaporware. Ohhhhh! Spider bearing!!!!

"Note, because the greatest amount of torque occurs at the first rotation, the shaft can be directly connected to a drive train without a transmission."

It doesn't need a catalytic converter or muffler.

"Tetra Ether Lead" "encapsulated in the earth for milliana" Among other misspelled words.

Ain't this baby the greatest! I'm going to dash right out and buy some stock in this marvelous company!!!!!!!!
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 12:32:17 PM »
Dean,
You hit the nail on the head!! Using water as a lubricant is one of the panaceas of mechanical design. I worked in the high pressure hydraulic field (7500 psi) for years and there were a number of reputable companies that tried to design a pump for water at high pressure that would use the water as its lubricant, and these were companies that knew what they were doing! and there are no viable high pressure water pumps available today. (I am disregarding the tried and true triplex piston pumps that are used in the oil patch as they will pump water at 15,000 psi+ but they use oil for lubrication.)

Water has no lubricating properties, it has very low viscosity and if you have ever seen high pressure water flow thru a small leak you can see where the idea of the water jet cutter came from. It will cut the hardest steel like butter.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 01:45:18 PM »
Dan

Very good Dan, :cheers:

bit disappointed you didn't get in first Jerry? :-P
No pressure, Doc...I didn`t want to compound things :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 03:17:18 PM »
more on the story at http://watch.discoverychannel.ca/#clip301179  it's the first story in the video.

He states his goal is 230 mph.