Author Topic: Burt Munro and 200mph ??  (Read 24018 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Burt Munro and 200mph ??
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 08:49:13 PM »
I agree with everyone, Let the record stand, it's a part of history.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline joea

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 09:17:57 PM »
...the record should stand until its broken....

..the history will never be broken...

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 09:54:11 PM »
if you want history get the book or rent the DVD.... racing is racing and records are made to be broken.... just don't run on this one
Kent

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 12:06:16 PM »
It may be history, but it's not a record anymore than Willie Sutton made bank withdrawals.

Or is someone going to suggest that the bike was legal?

Offline Freud

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 01:24:42 PM »
Burt's children in 2006.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 03:25:49 PM »
Since it is in the books it is a record. It was inspected, made the requisite 3 runs, and has been in the books ever since. Who are you to say different??
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline k.h.

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 04:53:38 PM »
Aren't there about 1800 possible motorcycle records?  More if you include FIM and AMA?  Just thinkin' there are lots of choices other than Burt's to go for.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 08:34:03 AM »
If I recall correctly, in the book, "One Good Run" a couple of officials considered making a dummy time slip (I have no idea how they planned to do that) showing his run over 200 as a gesture of kindness.  But they were overruled by the logic that Burt wouldn't want it that way.  Bear in mind that I read the book a long time ago and I have a sh1tty memory, so take it for what it's worth.

Offline Randall Parker

• Yup, I'm a Baby Boomer!
  • My Boss 429 KK2159. bought it from the Breedlove's
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 09:04:26 PM »
There is no record that is "Sacred".  Cursed maybe but never sacred.  I have no problem beating any record that the SCTA deems worthy of listing in their record book.  The rule book is what we go by to break world land speed records.  If the SCTA wants to retire the record then no one will get to break it.  Make a proposal to the SCTA but as long as it is in the record book I for one have no problem with anyone breaking it under the current rules and really no one should have a problem with breaking it.
The Faster you go the longer you live...it's just physics.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 09:31:16 PM »
This is an absolutely fascinating subject!.... If the 'liner driven/ridden by Cal rayborn was under 1000cc's.... whaddaya think would have happened to Bert's record way back then?... Ironhead sportster motor and all.... under the rules then....AND NOW.... it would have eclipsed it.....

Now, don't get me wrong.... Bert was and IS a legend.... and about the 200mph plus speed.... I understand that he had done over 200mph more than once at the 2 1/4 mile.... I seem to recollect hearing that over the loudspeaker myself.... but, in those days, quarter mile speeds were not recoe=rded for permanent records.... (although, online now, everything seems to have been recorded and posted somewhere)...

OH and BTW.... Bert's full name was Herbert.... thus the spelling with an "E"..... NOT a "U".... I don't care what the movie- "The World's Fastest Indian" showed at a supposed birthday party at the community center for him....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 10:35:56 PM »
OH and BTW.... Bert's full name was Herbert.... thus the spelling with an "E"..... NOT a "U".... I don't care what the movie- "The World's Fastest Indian" showed at a supposed birthday party at the community center for him....

It was Burt himself who substituted the U for the E , he preferred it that way.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2011, 10:57:50 PM »
C'est possible.... mais.... Oh .... Back to English.... this is possible.... I do know the=at he entered the Bonneville events in the early 70s as Herbert J Munro though.....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2011, 12:02:41 AM »
It was all part of the show business side of Burt.....he was smarter, meaner and a whole lot better known than the portrayal of him in the film would have us believe. Burt wouldn't have paid to have his name changed by deed poll, so he would have had to enter under the name on his I.D. To him it was a more American spelling than the old Brit "Bert" and despite his sometimes ornery aura he was firmly switched on to his movie star appeal....

as Don Francisco wrote in HRM that " Burt Munro from New Zealand whose story could make a script for a movie some day" ....it wasn't accidental.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Tman

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2011, 12:33:37 AM »
It was all part of the show business side of Burt.....he was smarter, meaner and a whole lot better known than the portrayal of him in the film would have us believe. Burt wouldn't have paid to have his name changed by deed poll, so he would have had to enter under the name on his I.D. To him it was a more American spelling than the old Brit "Bert" and despite his sometimes ornery aura he was firmly switched on to his movie star appeal....

as Don Francisco wrote in HRM that " Burt Munro from New Zealand whose story could make a script for a movie some day" ....it wasn't accidental.

Yup, I read that article at least once a month and think of how ironic Dons statement is/was

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2011, 01:43:27 AM »
Burt's talent impressed me when I saw the movie and I have even more respect for it now.  That old Indian could not have produced much power.  A lot of his success must have been talent at riding, jetting, choosing gearing, reading the track, streamlining, etc,- the difficult stuff.