Author Topic: fuel supplies  (Read 3528 times)

Offline hawkwind

fuel supplies
« on: October 14, 2005, 01:55:20 AM »
As I understand it you blokes use an official supplier of gasoline for Bonneville , how does this work ? ,the DLRA is looking at using this type of setup and I have initiated talks with some interested suppliers ,but im very interested in what problems and benifits it has .
is it mandatory to use the suppliers product ? what about racers that have a sponsorship deal with another supplier? is the pricing competitive with say purchasing it from a local dealer ? ,Im all at sea with this and any information is appreciated
Gary  :)
slower than most

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Business is Business
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 11:24:46 AM »
It is a Business for them and that will dictate the terms of the agreement. If they can provide adequate supplies to the quality you need, they will likely want an exclusive agreement. The return on the investment has to be money or advertising, That is the part you have to deal with to get the best value.
If you can adopt procedures to limit the entries to the use of the event fuel it will simplify the certification for the gas classes and keep at least that part the same degree of honesty for everybody.
The fuel classes are a little differ ant but you can still require the entrant to wear the suitable sticker but you have less control over the actual product usage.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

landracing

fuel supplies
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 03:06:36 PM »
Gary the way ERC does it is this.

There is an event "Gas" that is dictated for the gas classes. So if you run gas you must use the supplier dictated gas. Seal the tanks, only the fuel truck or impound or tech person may break the seal and verify that it is the event gas.

Fuels. Rick brings several types of fuels from i think 110 - 120 octane ratings. Use can use any of these including the event "Gas" to run in fuel classes no tank sealing needed.

And if running fuel class you do not have to run the supplier's fuel's. you can bring your own.

HOpe this helps
Jon

Offline hawkwind

fuel supplies
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 03:25:33 AM »
Thanks  Jack and Jill  :oops:  Jon  , not many happy campers , seems telling Aussie racers what petrol ( gas to you) they must use will take some doing  :cry:  anyway its something the DLRA will have to sort out over time and a few beers
slower than most

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Now if you want to cheat the system
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 06:23:18 AM »
that is usually easy. You can figure it out quickly but spend the rest of your life living with it.
Unless you have a procedure that can be compared with others, the results never will be.
"It is OK to lead, it is better if you have followers." 8)
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline gazza414

GAS on the Salt
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 08:25:40 AM »
hawkwind Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Jack and Jill  Jon , not many happy campers , seems telling Aussie racers what petrol ( gas to you) they must use will take some doing  anyway its something the DLRA will have to sort out over time and a few beers

I dont believe you have told the story as described on the DLRA site Gary, nor have you provided what petrol ( gas ) and fuel company will be supplying. VP fuels Australian  wouldnt even confirm what fuels met the DC rating of 2.3.

If the DLRA put something on the table that had substance then good , but I dont see much, nor of  being convinced to go with any petrol at this stage.

And just for the record as you are aware I used BP 98 RON Unleaded Pump petrol  bought at Port Augusta. SA.

Discussing over a few beers will result in SFA.

Maybe our Americans friends can provide some guidance as to what petrols do meet the GAS class specs ?

As I mentioned on the DLRA site Gary if the DLRA are serious about this then the club should either purchase a DC meter that has been certified and OR do what the yanks do with a GAS supplier on site.... Thats if you can get one to turn up in the middle of the desert!

Keep at it Gary, I know ya got alot on ya plate.
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Tough job
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 11:49:43 AM »
I have a DC meter that I used for years at the drags and everybody had to live within those limits.
The problem is the gas available at the pump for the rent-a-car might not even pass depending on the blend.
If the supplier won't commit to telling you what it might read on a meter it is because they are sometimes flaky (the meter) and they don't want the liability of a problem with it passing when it is out of their control.
If you are serious about the gas thing, you must supply it for the meet from sealed containers and everybody runs the same stuff.
 The burden of it's suitability is on the Club.
Ask me about the California Mold (Gold) stuff that was provided at Bonneville once that cost a couple of really expensive engines.
"If you want to cheat you will. If I catch you, you won't like it."(That was known as the unwritten rule)

Offline gazza414

GAS
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 09:07:39 PM »
Jack ,
could you let us know what the control GAS is at Bonneville pls? also is this the same GAS that is used at say Mirage, Maxton and The Texas Mile?
This may help with some guidance and direction for discussion down under.
thankyou

ps you are correct about some pump GAS here in Australia as the low octane 92 RON fuels have been advertised here as having up to the 10% legal limit of Ethanol added.
Very much the apprentice

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Well sorta
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 10:05:06 PM »
Maxton and Gonad probably don't have a formal gas check but Guthrie can answer that.
SCTA has used a DC Fuel checker at El Mirage in the past. The procedures there are clear in the book but the enforcement is at the club level.
Bonneville is more precise and the supplies and procedures are spelled out in the book. They run very close to that.
I would suggest that you direct anyone wanting to run a gas class get it from a known supplier like VP and ship it to the entrant in a sealed container that you can verify at the event when they bring it.
Do the best you can but remember it is a Club deal that has to stay reasonable.
If the entrant is just running retail pump gas, you might designate a location on the way to the event that can seal a container to certify the origin.
Keep the rules relaxed but the enforcement absolute.
It is easier on everybody.

Offline gazza414

GAS
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 02:38:22 PM »
Thanks Jack D, appreciate the info
Very much the apprentice