Author Topic: Brett de Stoop, the New contender?  (Read 67672 times)

Offline PJQ

• South end, Land of Oz
Re: Brett de Stoop, the New contender?
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2010, 07:01:29 PM »
A few more pics...

Salt Fever arrives at the lake in a tin sarcophagus on a rickety trailer (wet lake... wet racers).

Six blokes wrestle it off the trailer, hey presto... really awkward tool shed.

The cockpit...

Rear...

Rider position

Strategy time

The wait...

Nice and smooth off the line

« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 07:03:09 PM by PJQ »
Regards,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2010, 09:07:50 PM »
It's easy to tell that the first photo is from a "non-racing" day.....I see in my pocket(yellow jacket, yes Bob a Kiwi Husky) a bottle of Jameson's and on the spare wheel another of Austin Nicholl's finest.....yikes!

That fourth shot of the tail is a beauty.

DrG
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

ScottG

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2010, 09:48:36 PM »
Is this de Stoop the next
Burt Munro, or what........?

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2010, 10:27:33 PM »
Is this de Stoop the next
Burt Munro, or what........?

I think maybe........I just spoke to Brett and he's all in a lather about this thread. He won't be signing up as a forum member because he isn't that up with the computer thing and "barely has the time". Brett would like to stress that his bike and his involvement in the sport are for his enjoyment and he feels very short on the competitive aspect that seems to abound at the sharp end of bike records. Personal tragedy has been a strong motivation in his build and he recognizes and would like to highlight that he is racing a vintage configuration and he is competing against himself, the achievements are part of the whole package that includes the effort and thought he has put in, but most of all he would like to express that "it's all a laugh, it's all fun"....despite the appearance Brett is a humble guy and feels particularly that he lacks the ego and inherent drive that motivates many others to strive, ride and succeed.

When photo's become available I will write a more detailed account of the process from the early frame and body through the casting process and the home built dyno, it's one "hail" of a story. For now Brett is happy to be at least one step away from the publicity, he already feels a bit weird about the article in his local paper.......
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2010, 10:50:26 PM »
hey Doc
tell Brett to chill out....nobody on here is compairing or competing against Brett.... Guthrie only mouthed off to bring attention to himself about a record that only exist in Scott Guthrie's head.... there is no "fastest 2 stroke" record... If there was, Guthrie set his right at 200 with a factory TZ750 racer that he paid someone else to build.!..... the fact that all of us realize is that Brett "built" a darn near 40year old lump of a fricken "STREET" bike and went over 230mph.!.... Tell Brett to suck it up and realize what everyone here on this forum realizes..... "HE HAS ONE HECK OF AN ACCOMPLISHMENT HE SHOULD BE PROUD OF"
Kent

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2010, 11:16:29 PM »
Doc,
I think I can speak for many on this site in that anything we say about Brett's bike and accomplishments is in pure awe of his effort. Truly a true "Bert Munroe" level of accomplishment and dedication.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2010, 01:51:36 AM »
Na, there was nothing negative about what I was saying. But I was pointing out that Brett at this stage would rather stay at least one step removed from the public face.....It is an awesome achievement and a great story and if you meet Brett you'll agree he fits the "larger than life" description.

There are a lot of very very talented people in this game but what IS peculiar about LSR is the number of people who have experienced a significant event in their life that has made them think" f*** it , I'm going to do THIS" and then they devote a great deal of time and an obsessive effort to build and run something.....the bystanders think " gee , I wish I could do that"......the guy in question is thinkin..." sh** , this thing saved my life!"....and for a lot of people it's true.

When I spoke to Bretty this morning he went to pains to try and explain to me what he got out of it , why he started , what he felt motivated him and finally that he saw it as "art"......I sat there in near silence just adding "yep, yep, yep, yep......"

I'm pretty sure most of you "get" that......

BTW the way Brett is completely overawed that Scott Guthrie and Joe Amo have given him the thumbs up, but would like to point out that he ran the same speed as Leslie Porterfield....for whatever that's worth :-D

Thanks guys.

Dr G

Offline PJQ

• South end, Land of Oz
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2010, 04:34:06 AM »
Yes, the little bicycle speedo on the dash read 235.

...okay, one last Brett The Man thing, then I'll shut-up. Early in a tour round the bike for any curious on-looker he points out the name on the side:

Walter Kaaden.

The facial expression intensifies, both hands fling towards the sun, the name sings out with an automated "...F**kin' Genius" glued on with a Deep Purple wall-of-guitar crescendo. If the on-looker isn't backing away slowly and dares to ask, there's a Wikipedia like oratory complete with tangential references to WW2 rockets, and the rise of Suzuki in 60s racing.

Walter Kaaden (1 September 1919 – 3 March 1996) was a German engineer who improved the performance of two-stroke engines by understanding the role of resonance waves in the exhaust system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Kaaden
Regards,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2010, 08:02:33 AM »
{snip}
BTW the way Brett is completely overawed that Scott Guthrie and Joe Amo have given him the thumbs up, but would like to point out that he ran the same speed as Leslie Porterfield....for whatever that's worth :-D
{snip}

hehehe, good stuff there! :-D I'm late to this thread & would like to add my congratulations!

Whatever the reason that any of us does this, regardless of the goals and desire for or against "publicity" I think it's always nice to receive kudo's & acceptance from the greats of the sport as it is for the greats to offer it when it's deserved! Great to see all the pats on the back in this thread! I think it's awesome to once again see this level of achievement from an innovative rider/owner/builder. There's not that many of them out there doing it themselves and it helps keep the dream alive for the singleton amateur. Good for you and thanks for letting us be a part of it from the sidelines!

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

ScottG

« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2010, 09:11:24 AM »

BTW the way Brett is completely overawed that Scott Guthrie and Joe Amo
have given him the thumbs up, but would like to point out that he ran the
same speed as Leslie Porterfield....for whatever that's worth :-D

Thanks guys.

Dr G

I can't speak for Leslie or Joe, but in my case, it is thrilling
to see a young man succeed so well in his "first attempt."
We can only wonder what good things will come over the next few years
if Mr. de Stoop continues this sport as a career.

I'm thinking that Brett shows the sort of innovative thinking,
and constructor's zeal that is often lacking these days,
and that his efforts bring a real smile to true racer's faces.

We all have our personal reasons for Land Speed Racing,
and sometimes we aren't even sure of our own reasons.

For some, it's to prove an idea that others have ignored.
For some, it's to prove they have a better idea.
For some, it's just for the sheer joy of a job well done.
For some, it's just the exhilaration of going fast.

Let’s hope that Brett, for one reason or another,
will find that our sport has called to him, and
he will know that he has found a home here.

Welcome, Brett !

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2010, 01:26:32 PM »
Of course, Brett's achievement is incredible.

I have no idea how much he is trained in aerodynamic. He done on this a great job.

What I tried to say in my earlier writing - and may be couldn't understand in the right way, due to my short English -

Aerodynamic is a pack of tricks, especially on a motorcycle - which is from his base a brick in the air....

I think it was bak who wrote something about long tail.....a long tail on a motorcycle is a big advantage for the aerodynamic...but only than....when your front is aerodynamic, too.

Different to a four wheeler....if the front from bike is not right.....you create a very bad handling issue.....which will increase in a progressive curve as longer the tail is........in other words.....in this moment the bike will be all over the place.

To the two bikes - Joe's and Brett's.

For a not trained (aerodynamic) eye they looks very similar and therefore very aerodynamic....

On a bike in this speed range they run, every small aero mistake hurts the aerodynamic function.

And there is Brett's bike in a disadvantage to Joe's.....it got some small mistakes which breaks him and create this "suck" effect.

Unfortunately it needs some experience to see this troublemakers...thanks here to Jon (Amo)....he went through this aero issues over the years....so he could confirm my opinion.

But for Brett - his first attempt is a very good base - some minor changes would give him 10 mph.....

Wish him all the best - and he is really working in Burt Munro spirit.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 02:04:53 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline 754

« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2010, 12:54:39 AM »
First off, congrats to Brett, and his tremendous accomplishment.

:cheers:

As I read this thread (there has been some very nice responses), I cant help but think that Munro ssemed to be so far ahead of his time with his aero wirk.. and that I always think a bit about the Munro liner, when I look at the back ends, of Breet and Jons bikes...

I hope Brett can make it to Utah sometime...

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2010, 08:23:24 AM »
Ok, here's some shots from Frank Kletschkus..........there are lots of shots here (including a pile of our lakester) if you go back a few steps but the link takes you straight to the ones of Brett at this years meet.....

http://twixt-two-wheels.jalbum.net/Brett%20De%20Stoop/

hope ya dig 'em,

In the meantime a longer story on this thread on Brett will have to wait as I a teaming up with another photographer to write a piece , it will end up here in one form or another but it will be a while.

Dr G

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2010, 09:03:30 AM »
Great photos..thanks for posting them.
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline lvsalt

• http://www.dcwaterjet.com
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
Very nice photos :cheers:
Gary Cole     DCWATERJET Z