Author Topic: That long black line.  (Read 18808 times)

Offline sodbuster

A Devil with A Hammer & Hell with A Torch

Offline gearheadeh

Re: That long black line.
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2010, 09:26:37 AM »
No black line........

http://www.basskustom.com/blog/

http://www.basskustom.com/www.basskustom.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/4903160799_8a9d2d9095_o.jpg

THAT was a great read........all the while Iam wondering why is this posted in the (Black line)?
Well like the unexpected punch line in a long told story, It hit me hard! A great example of why there should be something better than a few cones to replace that line if not a line substitute like
 that Skier's green stuff.
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline BudJ63

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2010, 10:11:04 AM »
Brian Bass drove the push truck for the #299 car a few times this week. The #299 car spun.

In his Blog he states:
"This year, the SCTA didn’t do the black stripes down the courses….and instead put up flags that you’re supposed to stay between during a run. Ed lost track of where he was without the line there, and got off course. As he was trying to get back on course, he nailed one of the batteries for the timers and it sent him into a spin….at nearly 250 mph."

Offline jl222

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2010, 12:36:32 AM »

I didn't have any problems seeing were I was going with the flags and we had a 294mph time in the 1st timed mile in the 222 Camaro, it would have been better if the mile markers were a different color than the others.
  We hope to have 2 videos to post so anyone interested can also see what its like.
  Blue's [dye] sounds easy and inexpensive.

JL222

Blue

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2010, 03:05:15 AM »
It's about $500 for an airless sprayer, two 55 gallon drums, some wood, and vise grips to set up the rig on a pickup.  Figure one gallon of dye per course at $33/gallon at a dilution rate that would stay for a couple of weeks without rain.

The GPS rig is another $300 to $2000 depending on type and weather it steers the truck on its own.

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2010, 01:03:32 PM »
Here at the RV shop when someone talks about blue dye (water) on the ground it's not a good thing :-o
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2010, 07:15:41 PM »
I didn't look back at the posts on this topic but before making a run on the 3 mile course I was talking to the Starter and he said the cost of putting down the black line was $18,000.

We recommended having green markers for the quarter mile markers and he said a lot of racers said the same thing and that the suggestion had been passed to the BNI Board.

Tom

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2010, 09:45:11 PM »
I didn't look back at the posts on this topic but before making a run on the 3 mile course I was talking to the Starter and he said the cost of putting down the black line was $18,000.

We recommended having green markers for the quarter mile markers and he said a lot of racers said the same thing and that the suggestion had been passed to the BNI Board.

Tom
That sounds like a good idea, I had no problem with the markers instead of the line, but I would loose track of the number of markers .
Mark Wilcox,
142 D/BSTR  record qualifier 2011 219.935
182 D/BGMMP record holder 2019 215.798

Offline CGoodson

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
This year was my first year driving so I never missed the black line. I had know trouble seeing the mile markers except when I was to high in the car and my helmet rested against the roll cage and the vibrations blurred my vision. The mile markers were all over the place. I had to pull the chute and pull off. As you can see not much room in the Bockscar Lakester. :cheers:
Corey Goodson
cgr138@gmail.com
hptt:www.facebook.com/corey.goodson
1000 Bockscar Lakester H/BFL Red Hat record 233.119
Currently Building #1177 G&S Roadster H/BFR

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2010, 10:46:38 AM »
I was OK without the black line since there were ample markers along the way. I wouldn't mind a different color marker at certain intervals but I think I'd like the numbers on a distinct color the best. The orange contrast on the white salt was nice but I also found myself going marker, marker, marker, 3! marker, marker, marker 4! If the numbers stayed on the orange and the others were a different color that would have helped me to not have to look at every marker for a number! Green doesn't sound bad but please run it by a color blind person first! I'm not sure if green is enough of a contrast to orange to be distinct!

I'd also like to see the short course return road markers in a contrasting color. The 10 foot tall checkered flag was nice but if you were way down by the 4+ on the short course it was hard to find them. I was wandering around like a lost newbie on my first run trying to find them & get oriented. (yes I went on rookie orientation even tho I'm not a rookie) If they were pink or red or green & black they would stand out better on the salt. (yes I told orientation dude about this one!)

And while we're on the subject, I seemed to have a hard time hitting the turn outs. I know we maybe didn't need them so much but still I was trying to stay on them cause it was just easier for me. However, I found myself on the course a little longer then I think I should have seeking out the turn outs. I think I had a problem with them being at the 1/4 I guess it was. The first 1/4 after shut down was too close and the 2nd one was awkward I guess cause it was both almost too far down and close to the timing lights I didn't wish to run down! haha It was almost like you had to make a turn after the marker to get on the turn out. Just seemed odd to me. Maybe I just don't know how to use the turn out! Is that the normal spacing or might they sometimes be at the 1/2 or 3/4?  It's probably just me but I didn't want to drop somebody else's bike so I was trying to be careful & not run into anything too chunky or soft! haha
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2010, 02:52:32 AM »
Like DahMurf, I had to keep track of which markers I was passing and sure enough, on my second pass I
thought I had passed the 3 mile marker and shut down, only to find I had another quarter mile to go to the
3 mile. In the past, I've seen it so rough that vibrations in the helmet caused vision to be so blurred, you
cannot make out a number on the marker. You could only see that you had passed a marker through the
blurred vision. I suggested that the mile markers be a different color or made larger or something to differentiate
them from the quarter mile markers. I had no trouble with no black line. If you want to cut costs, make the
line dashed and use only half the $18,000 black line stuff. Just another idea.
Ed

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2010, 03:52:52 PM »
green backgroundwhite #1 Blue BackgroundWhite #2Yellow BackgroundBlack #3Orange BackgroundBlack #4 Red Background White #5 for the Long Course

green backgroundwhite #1 Yellow BackgroundBlack #2 Red Background White #3 for the Short Course

Primary colors, NO PASTELS!

Just a suggestion...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 03:54:24 PM by LSR Mike »
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2010, 08:22:32 PM »
At Bubs ... side markers are red panels with mile markers in yellow with black numbers ...  timing entrance and exit are doubled green panels ... you  cant miss the timing panels ...

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2010, 08:30:23 PM »
I would also agree with Dahmurf, differnt color mile markers.  I don't think we need a different color for each mile, but maybe for the last timed mile.  Good ideas. :cheers:

rick harden

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2010, 10:25:10 PM »
How about we keep the mile markers as they are and just change the quarter markers to red 1/4, white 1/2 and blue 3/4 for each timed mile or any colors or some different marks for each like /,X,\\\. It may help some people like me to find the turn out that they want.