Author Topic: Spectre Performance Streamliner Blog  (Read 6160 times)

Offline JoshH

Spectre Performance Streamliner Blog
« on: October 12, 2009, 06:50:51 PM »
http://spectreperformance.com/blog/

There are a couple inaccuracies in some of the text, PR guys...  :roll:

Thanks to the SCTA officials for their guidance. And congratulations to Kenny Hoover on a Blue hat!

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Spectre Performance Streamliner Blog
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 07:19:04 PM »
I read through the Spectre web site and they are a little "liberal" with a couple of facts. It is not the worlds fasted gas powered car, the Spirit of Rett AAGS is by over 50 mph and this is the second Blue Hat that Kenny Hoover has gotten in this car. When Junior Kurtz owned the car they set the AAFS record in 2003 at 307 mph with a 501 inch big block on alky with Kenny driving. They certainly have done some good things to the car especially at the rear end. This car was orginally built by Roy Fjastad and had a cut off (kam) rear body and it would leave a huge rooster tail of salt behind it, watching the run on the Specter web site it certainly looks very clean now.

A big congradulations to them for a great debut of a new car, a pretty impressive record in just 3 runs.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline JoshH

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 07:37:35 PM »
Hey Rex,

As I understand it Kenny has been over three many times, but for one reason or another was never able to back it up. See - http://bonneville200mph.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=32

He is not listed

Josh

Offline aircap

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 09:24:06 PM »
Well done!
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 12:59:09 PM »
Josh,
When the car was know as the Plastic Express, in 2003, it did set the AAFS record at 307.613, Kenny was the driver and was the recorded holder of the record. Maybe he just didn't apply, he is a pretty "low profile" guy and I would guess that it was just a thing he was not interested in at the time. Great guy.

I don't think that the car when Fjasted had it ever ran much over 275.It was only when Junior put some serious hp in it that it started running over 300. As I remember in 2004 it made several runs over 310 with a 499 (A class) motor. Stew Van Dyne did the motors and the 499 motor was good for around 1050 hps at 8500.

Rex
Rex

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 01:44:43 PM »
Rex --

Kenny is an active member of the Two Club.  After a 300 record, they're aware of it -- at least at SW.  We must be missing something here.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 02:56:33 PM »
Are there minimums for the 3 club?  Kenny said he definitely did not "qualify" for the 300mph chapter in 26 years of trying.

Something else noteworthy:  that's a CADILLAC motor in that car.   There's so much airflow left from those turbos they run, it's ridiculous.  I'd guess they were using about 900hp on this trip, they didn't expect to make more than one shakedown pass this event.  Amir, the owner of Spectre (and a good guy), called me on the way home and was *ecstatic* - they'd seen many other streamliners' first trips to the salt, not even making a single clean run...  so they did not expect much this trip.

The CAD motor should be good for 1800hp or therabouts.  It made that much on a single engine dyno pull.  Will it live long at that power with a cast crank?  I doubt it, but no one knows.   

A BBC fits in there just fine, too.   And those turbos are good for 2400+hp...    I'm no aerodynamicist, but I am curious what people here think the potential of the car is with more power?

-Scott

Offline Rcktscientist

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 03:39:42 PM »
Speedliner at the exit of 5 at 340MPH....or Hollywood takes a Sunday Drive

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 04:18:11 PM »
There was a 2 club minimum back when Kenny went 307 and he was on the 200 MPH Club board at the time; 307 was not fast enough. There was also a 2 club minimum when Kenny did it this time too. It was 315. I glad he finally earned his Blue Hat. Congrats to him and the entire Spectre group.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline JoshH

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 05:57:58 PM »
There is a new video clip of the qualifying run on the blog. On car camera along with push car footage.

A good article from Wired magazine -
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2009/10/spectre-infidel/

Offline jdincau

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 06:36:44 PM »
I'm no aerodynamicist, but I am curious what people here think the potential of the car is with more power?

-Scott

I would think, being about the same shape and two wheel drive it would have the same potential as Al Teague's car
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 07:09:05 PM »
Dieselgeek,
If you hp numbers are correct, 900 to go 340, then if they had 2400 hps the projected top speed would be around 408. So probaby real close to 400 with that kind of hp. I think that is about the same as the Poteet/Main car with their little V-8 big turbo motor claim to have. The Specter is certainly much better from an aero stand point than it was before but there are still several things that they could do to make it "slicker".  Would love to see it go 400 though!

I didn't realize that there were mimimums to get into the 200 and 300 club, I thought that if you set a record over 2 or 300 you were in.
Well it's their football they can make the rules anyway they want.

Rex
Rex

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 08:10:06 PM »
Rex
The Bonneville 200 club has had minimums for years as does SCTA & BNI.They are separate Assoc.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 11:37:28 AM »
Just to clarify, the SCTA minimums are for El Mirage only, not Bonneville, mainly for the points competition.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 12:34:56 PM »
Stan, read page 10 of the rule book 1.G under notes.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah