Author Topic: Other Bonneville option:  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Other Bonneville option:
« on: September 09, 2009, 06:57:53 PM »
I read an article about the Bloodhound SSC car in the latest issue of Motor Sport and they mention that they are looking at a potential  course on another part of the salt flats that is north of the existing racing area at Bonneville. If you look at Google Earth there certainly appears a very large area north of the "floating mountain" that appears to have some potential,but a picture from 150 miles up really doesn't show much detail.  Has anyone every been that far north? can you get there by driving over the salt?

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Other Bonneville option:
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 07:34:31 PM »
It's been looked at but a road would need to be built for access. The area is pretty rough and would require a lot of prep to run anything on. I guess anything is possable. As it is around 15 miles to floating mountain and who knows how far for a good surface area plus 12 or 13 miles to race on would the expense be worth it. As I haven't been on the other side of the mountain and heard from Vesco last year about it I  would think it's a less then 50% chance. JMHO.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 07:35:23 PM »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Bville701

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 07:39:55 PM »
I heard that the area is very difficult to get to due to the muddy areas along the way. I don't know if that is true or not, but it sounds like it would be very difficult to get to.
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 07:53:14 PM »
701 it's true and every year some one gets stuck down there, usually 1st timers that are exploring and spectators for the same reason. It's expensive to get towed out. Oh, they have to find you as well. Anything past the 8 mile or close to the edges and around the dykes can bury the vehicle.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Bville701

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 08:02:31 PM »
Yeah, I thought so and I've heard stories. So, I don't even dare to drive near those places. Thanks for confirming Glen.     :cheers:   I showed up late to chat last night but you were alreay gone. Sorry about that.
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

landracing

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 09:16:02 PM »
Mike Akatiff explored over there with dirt bikes a few years ago with a group of people... Lattin, Cook, Wheeler and maybe thats when Vesco went.,,, JCB was in the talks to help build a road out there... Goto the private meet and talk with Ack he explored over there in depth and took bikes out there like i said a few years ago... Said there was Tons of room and great salt surface out there, but getting to the HARD part of the salt was a task... Even talked about using a Transport helicopter to get equipment or race vehicles on the surface... People like burkland would be in a big hurt to get there transporter out there with race car.... Great thoughts but it faded away as the cost to get a road was lets say expensive.

JonAmo

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 10:17:22 AM »
Maybe we can get the Brits "Bloodhound" effort to put in a road. If the area could be a viable 12-15 mile race track I would think that all of the teams looking to go fast would be interested in doing something. Flying your "stuff" to Aussie land and being at the mercy of the weather gods down their is not a cheap deal either.

I had a friend that got his dirt bike stuck in one of the soft areas around the Salt Lake and he had to get a snow cat out there to pull it out. Thousand dollar bill! Thank you!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

LVMAXX

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 10:22:42 AM »
 :-D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 01:04:13 PM by LVMAXX »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 11:37:24 AM »
Freud was there in a rental car last month.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"