Author Topic: If you could choose!!  (Read 6944 times)

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
If you could choose!!
« on: September 05, 2009, 01:19:35 PM »
This is a question I ask myself time and time again and after spending two years on an engine that no one does anything aftermarket for I probably should have asked myself at the beginning of the project how easy are bits to come across,old old CBR Hondas dont have any it seems everything had to be made one off!
What Engine would be your choice to use for a normally aspirated motorcycle in the 1000cc class,I have toyed with the Idea of using a stroked crank in a Hayabusa to shorten the stroke and reducing the barrels....Expensive!
Twin engine Jawa....Hmmm Maybe, could be a lot of work for little reward in power plus they use methanol so that would be fuel class!
I dont want to use a modern engine it has to be at least 10 to 20 years old, I dont know why it just seems like that if you buy a bike that will do 180s on the road and get a record at 170 the japanese did the work for you I would rather tweak it myself and know that it was my efforts that got it to do that bit more.
Any Thoughts Kwak Yam Suzuki
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline 55chevr

Re: If you could choose!!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 01:25:53 PM »
Oz ... It is about the sense of achievement, not just the top speed number ... It's all good.

Offline stratman59

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 02:13:21 PM »
Or you could build a Harley  :-D  :cheers:

Offline sabat

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 02:14:07 PM »
I dont want to use a modern engine it has to be at least 10 to 20 years old, I dont know why it just seems like that if you buy a bike that will do 180s on the road and get a record at 170 the japanese did the work for you I would rather tweak it myself and know that it was my efforts that got it to do that bit more.

Why not do the tweaks on the new engine, and go 200? What makes you think you'll go 170?

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 02:14:36 PM »
I resemble that remark ...

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 02:37:31 PM »
Why not go with two Jawas or GM, Godden or whatever you choose.  Speedway engines don't have to run on methanol.  I've been running an ancient Weslake pushrod for years on gas.  I did'nt lower the compression.  In fact I raised it a tad.  It runs VP C12 gas.  Since its last freshening up its made 14 runs over 120 with its best being just on 130.  Given the choice I'd go with the two Jawas.  120 hp should get you to 170 with a bit of decent aero.

Meant to add I love singles so I'm a lot biased.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 02:41:07 PM by Nortonist 592 »
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline joea

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 05:01:58 PM »
there is absolutely nothing wrong with what you already have...........

unless, your looking to find parts already made for you.......which means
you can do what anyone else can/is..........

modification:.....to answer you question.........the bike you have would
be my choice:

A. it has as much potential or more than any bike from its era.....

B. you sound like you wanted something to work for and make a difference
instead of simply using what the engineers gave you.....

C.  no matter the choice...to do something unique to you....that others
havent.....means doing abunch of one off stuff.........

D. your already WAY ahead of the game.......your piece is well done and
most of the hard parts are already there.....

E. it will save you much time and money to start tweaking what is sitting
in your garage..........

F.  most often.. regardless of money spent......your first Bonn. results wont
be quite what you had hoped for.........
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 05:19:28 PM by joea »

Offline joea

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 05:22:30 PM »
........also if you choose a suzuki.......gixxer 1000 or busa........ill puke.....

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 05:46:21 PM »
If I had to pick a 1000cc bike to buy for LSR, I would choose.......

Joe Amo's  :-D
Todd

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 06:39:42 PM »
Why not forget the 1000cc bit and just buy a new 'Busa?   Remove the rev limiter and you'll have an almost 200 mph bike with no effort on your part and a warranty!!

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 07:08:22 PM »
Oz,
I've got to agree with you about the use of an older engine verses a newer sports bike powerplant.

Not sure why we don't see more Suzuki GS1100 and Kawasaki KZ 900/1000 engines in LSR bikes. Both of these engines will make plenty of HP and there are tons of high performance parts available.  There's also a lot of builders who have the experience and ability to build a great head for these engines as well as beautiful after market heads available.

Of course if you're looking for a single cylinder engine that's another story.  I use to run a Yamaha TT500 in sand drags and the engine made great power. I understand there are still some cams and pistons available for this engine.  Another engine I had great luck with was the late 70's Kawasaki KLX250 four stroke. Stock these engines were sad but with a hi compression piston, porting, White Brother cam and larger carb this little 250 really came alive.

I tend to lean toward Kawasaki engines because of their strength. Below is a shot of the engine I intend to used during the 2010 season at El Mirage....maybe?

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Buzz
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 07:12:07 PM by Dakzila »
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 07:51:42 PM »
Or if you could picture this GM with another one in front and some fancy aero.  Toasty!

By weslake at 2009-08-20

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 07:59:37 PM »
Oz,

While I'm not working on a bike, I feel your pain.  And being from Great Britain, you may understand my quandary - I certainly do yours.

I'm working on a BMC 1275 inline engine for my MG Midget.  Plenty of parts and racing parts still available - but . . .

I'm destroking it to ~1000 cc's, and while there is a factory precedent for this - the 970 Mini Cooper - BMC never made an inline 970, only a transverse version.  Therefore, the crank - unavailable - has to be made from scratch.  Additionally, due to age, rods become a problem - nothing in the books is still available.  It took me a year to find out what length stock 970 rods were.  So you spend countless hours with notepad and pencil, checking out other manufacturers, be they automotive, motorcycle, snowmobile, hoping that you might be able to stumble across a piston with a 1.785 deck height, 2.700 in diameter, or hours scanning for parts on e-bay, or trying to find a parts house that still uses books, not a database out of some faceless warehouse in Birmingham (GB, or Alabama).  You calculate whether or not you can make the Triumph piston work, whether or not there's enough meat left on a stock crank if you go with Subaru Justy rods (there isn't), how much you can shave off of the block, how you're going to make a 4 cylinder 4-port fuel injection system work on a 5 port head where only two of the ports are intake.  Oz - is there anything I've missed?

And then you get into the literature.  Stroker kits - no problem - I can site chapter and verse on the do's and dont's of increasing a 1275 to 1450 cc's.  Destroking?  You'd think I was asking to borrow a family menorah from a Rabbi during Hanuka to illuminate my garage.

Help at the parts store?  I'm quite certain the weekend flunky at the counter could give me a solid opinion as to which tire glaze won't muck up my wire wheels, but if it isn't in the computer, he can't order it - and if he can, it's a crap-shoot as to whether or not it's the right part.

Emailing an inquiry to a parts supplier?  Seldom worth the effort, with few exceptions, and usually only if you have a contact name.

All that said - shame on you if you bail on this now.

Two years?  You've already got too much invested.

Nobody knows your project better than you.

Just about anybody can screw together a small block Chevy that will make sick horsepower, and if it breaks, have a replacement part overnighted to them anywhere that Fed-Ex delivers.  The Busa?  I've heard it said that it's the SBC of the 21st century. 

But damned few people have the patience to take on a project like what you're doing and make it work.

What I'm sensing in your post is not so much the enormity of the endeavor, but perhaps a loss of faith in your ability to do it.  And while it will be expensive, the only reason I would bail now is if it proved prohibitively so.  If you want to, you can do this.   

If you simply want to go fast, that's great.  It can be done, it can be done inexpensively, and there's nothing wrong with that.

But if you want to go fast on a CBR 1000 Honda, as I do in a 1 litre MG Midget, then your going to have to do it by yourself.  You will find allies, you will find support, you will find help, and as I've found, you will make some great friends who know what you're trying to do.  These are your assets.

I understand your frustration, but encourage you to make it work.

Best of luck to you!

Sincerely,

Chris Conrad

« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 11:26:30 AM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 09:13:43 PM »
 :-D Wow, now that was a good read! I couldn't have said it better. Good stuff Mr Seven foot tall midget.
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 10:32:13 PM »
Bravo!  Mr. Conrad!!  Bravo!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!