Author Topic: John Thawley (aka Bob Waar) 1937-2009  (Read 4993 times)

Offline thawley

• New folks
John Thawley (aka Bob Waar) 1937-2009
« on: August 21, 2009, 01:37:57 AM »
Author and motor journalist John Thawley died last month of complications from pneumonia. He was 71.

How to Hot Rod Small Block Chevys, How to Hot Rod Big Block Chevys, the Off Road Handbook and the cult classic How to Modify Datsun 510/610/240Z Engines & Chassis were all written under Thawley’s pen-name, Bob Waar. Those and the books that followed under his own name totaled some twenty titles over his career. John raced in Baja and Bonneville. He worked at Indy, Irwindale, Daytona, Pikes Peak and Riverside. He served time on the payrolls of Buick, Chevrolet, Nissan, Toyota and numerous performance industry manufacturers.

Thawley began his career as a reporter and evening news anchor at KTBC-TV in Austin Texas. He later won a CBS fellowship to Columbia University school of journalism. Following his return to Austin, John covered the University of Texas tower shooting and was honored for rescuing several wounded from the line of fire.

In 1966 he joined the staff of HOT ROD Magazine and began a lifetime in automotive journalism. The Bob Waar moniker on his early books was used to sidestep the issue of writing for other publishers while still under the employment of Petersen Publishing. Friend and colleague Tex Smith once ribbed him about his Texas drawl and strange hobby of collecting barbed wire... Bob Waar was the result.

Enthusiasm for technical nuance combined with Thawley’s plain-spoken Texas voice demystified complexities of engine & car building to a generation of hot rodders. John was one of the good guys and he will be missed. He is survived by his brother, son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter.

A memorial service will be held at the NRHA Motorsports Museum, Thusday August 27th at 2pm. All are welcome.
In lieu of flowers, the family asks that you buy a car magazine or something trick for your car.

NHRA Motorsports Muesum
www.museum.nhra.com
1101 W Mckinley Ave
Pomona, CA 91768
(909) 622-2133

Family contact:
E. John Thawley III
john at thawleyphoto dot com
714 542-3888
E. John Thawley III
2 Club member/water polo dad

Offline Brian Westerdahl

Re: John Thawley (aka Bob Waar) 1937-2009
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 06:32:51 AM »
Very sorry to hear that.  My condolences to the family. 
  The book How to Hot Rod Small Block Chevys was one that I used alot in my drag racing days.
  It is a very good book.  Lots of good information.

Offline hechtrod

• MyRideisMe.com
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 11:13:46 AM »
Gonna go buy a car mag tonight in honor of "Bob Waar"! 

Offline thawley

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 11:38:36 AM »
Please forward this around to other sites. I've been in the import car market most of my career and my rolodex is a bit thin in the V8 pushrod department. Appreciate any help getting the word out to the appropriate forums, clubs and news sources.

Thanks.
E. John Thawley III

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 12:25:21 PM »
Very sorry to hear of John's passing - When my brother and I started at the Salt again in the late 80's John's "Monza" was our inspiration. He was very open with what it took to make them right and we really appreciated it. I also recall a day on the Salt when John was in town and his son wanted to make a pass - he got to the starting line and off he went - with no one down track to bring him back to the pits - we pulled him back and were very impressed with his "I can do this" attitude. Pat and Mike Kinne

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 12:42:17 PM »
God Speed John Thawley.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline thawley

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 01:53:23 PM »
I also recall a day on the Salt when John was in town and his son wanted to make a pass - he got to the starting line and off he went - with no one down track to bring him back to the pits -
Thanks for the laugh. I'd forgotten about that.
E. John Thawley III

Offline michael lueders

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 06:45:59 PM »
John III sorry to hear of you and your family's loss and to John I...God Speed.

Offline Model A coupe

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 11:43:34 PM »
He was one of my favorite writers.He got the"salt bug" early.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 12:25:04 AM »
Part of a vanishing breed of motorsports journalists -John Raffa was one of the first to go. And Rickman, of course.

From an era before the enthusiast magazine was nothing more than a "CONDUIT TO THE ADVERTISERS".

His kind will be sadly missed.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)