Author Topic: First time speedweek spectators need help!  (Read 5798 times)

Offline mason71

• New folks
First time speedweek spectators need help!
« on: August 03, 2009, 01:55:42 PM »
Hello my name is Mason.  My father and I have dreamed of going to the salt to watch some fast cars. We want to make that dream come true at this years speedweek. We have a few questions, I figured this would be a great place to ask them.

What is the schedule like? Are there days when faster cars go?

Can we camp on the salt? Whats the weather like? If not what is the cheapest way to sleep?

Does it cost to watch?

We plan on flying into salt lake city and renting a car to drive to the salt flats. Thank you for any suggestions!

Offline oldrodder

Re: First time speedweek spectators need help!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 02:11:04 PM »
Welcome Mason.  I may be the only one that has not left for the salt flats yet!  This years schedule has changed, starting on Thursday and running thru the 13th.  It costs $15 per day of $40 for the whole week for a spectator pass.  You may not camp on the salt but its ok in the area known as the "bend".  The entrance road to the salt makes a 90% bend and many racers and spectators camp there.  Dry camp, nothing but salt n dirt.  Bring everything you can think  of in the way of beverages, dark glasses, sun block, etc.  There are other places on this site to give you a list of must haves.  Cars and bikes will be running all weekend, I think record runs will be Mon on?
if it has an engine, i like it

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 02:12:29 PM »
You cannot camp on the salt but you can (and many people do) camp at "the bend" a couple miles from the salt.
Weather this time of year -- lows about 62, highs 90-low 100's depending on how the weather is acting on any given day.
The bend is without a doubt the cheapest. Some folks just toss a sleeping bag on the ground and sleep beside their car, others go the whole route for a nice tent or RV.

Schedule is basically sunrise to near sun set. In the morning, the cars that qualified the day before will move from impound to the starting line and run their "backup runs" to attempt to complete their record (average of two back to back passes). Then after they complete their runs, then any car can run on any course it is qualified to run on.
They will run until about 5:00 pm (depending on wind and weather, as high winds can shut things down). Everyone needs to be off the salt by about 7:00 pm or so.

Early morning before the record runs is a good time to cruise the pits, it is cool and the light is good for photos.
Bring good sun glasses, a hat and sunscreen. Without them you will be a crispy critter by early afternoon on the first day.
Bring some sort of fluids to drink! It will be difficult to stay hydrated so drink constantly. If you are not peeing several times a day you are not getting enough fluids.
Some sort of viewing shelter is highly recommended, minimum is a good umbrella. Sitting in the car gets pretty hot unless you are running the AC constantly.

Admission is $15 for a day pass and $40 for an event pass (you will want to do the event pass) you get the event button as well, and you can come and go as you please.

Time to run for the fast cars varies by the team. There are a few cars that like to run at the heat of the day (aerodrag is slightly lower), others run early in the day when it is cool which gives a bit more power and helps keep the engine alive if it is cooling challenged. Others decide based on the salt conditions, the salt tending to get slicker as moisture content comes up, so the will try to run when the salt is hard and dry if possible.

Enjoy!

Larry

Offline Wester

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 02:17:46 PM »
The racing on the salt flats is a lot like what you learned in kindergarten ... you line up and you take turns.  The only schedule is the record return runs go first thing about 7:30 in the morning.  As soon as they finish everyone else takes turns.  You could have a 300 MPH car followed by a 175 MPH car or motorcycle.

There's no camping on the salt.  The "bend in the road" on the access road is the closest spot.  Bring a tent for protection from the mosquitoes if you plan on camping there with several hundred other racers.

Weather is predicted for the high 80's this next weekend but could warm up after that, it's been in the very high nineties there this last week.

$15 a day to go onto the salt, pay at the end of the access road.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 03:15:27 PM »
It's still August 8th thru 14th according to the SCTA / BNI schedule.

Pete

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 03:41:27 PM »
Racing starts Saturday the 8th about noon and runs to the 14th.  Have fun and you will come back again and again...... :cheers: 

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 04:03:21 PM »
Racing starts pretty close to 10:00 am Saturday, after that it will be 7:00 am.  Races run until approximately 7:00 pm (usually).   Everyone has to be off of the salt by sundown....my security gets really nasty with laggers!!  So do the guys checking to make sure everyone is gone!  You can buy your passes from my gate people at Land's End..the prices quoted are correct, just remember that's per person, not per car!!  Spectators are not allowed on the salt before 6:45 at the earliest, usually 7...that way the racers racing to impound have a clear shot to the pit!  We will have maps at Land's End and will be able to "Tell you where to go" and answer most of your questions.   Unless you purchase a pit pass, you will not be allowed to drive thru the pit area once racing starts on Saturday.  The Pin will get you on the salt, the wristband will get you into the pit!  There will be Security at the Pit entrance to make sure you have passes to go into the pits.  If you don't have sunglasses, there will be a vendor on the salt with exceptionally good sunglasses that are perfect for the salt....that's where I get my sunglasses for the salt!!  Reasonably priced and work perfectly!!

K, I'm done, I'm gone....I'm headed for the salt!!!!!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 04:53:52 PM »
Lynda forgot one thing. You need a crew pass on the vehicle to drive into the pits.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 04:56:25 PM »
Didnt you like the answer you got to the same question on the Hokey As# Message Board forum ?

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 05:50:18 PM »
Thanks for the correction Linda, for some reason I thought it was noon.  10 am even better!   :cheers:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 06:22:06 PM »
What answer on hamb??

Didnt you like the answer you got to the same question on the Hokey As# Message Board forum ?
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

GTO48

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 06:44:05 PM »
Lynda forgot one thing. You need a crew pass on the vehicle to drive into the pits.

Not that I want to drive it into the pits, but if I am bringing an RV (truck/5th wheel) can I drive the whole thing in and pitch the awning out to watch? Or do I have to leave the trailer by the bend?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 06:46:32 PM »
We plan on flying into salt lake city and renting a car to drive to the salt flats. Thank you for any suggestions!

Mason,

Be prepared to pay a cleaning bill on the rental car.  Reports on this forum have run from "Had to pay for cleaning after return", to "Sneaked one past the guys at Hertz".

If the counterperson asks where you're headed, don't mention Bonneville - it probably won't help your cause.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 07:23:33 PM »
You can bring the trailer on the salt. There is a spectator area where you can park and see the races. You cannot stay on the salt at night so you will need to tow it on and off each day.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 07:24:16 PM »

Mason,

Be prepared to pay a cleaning bill on the rental car.  Reports on this forum have run from "Had to pay for cleaning after return", to "Sneaked one past the guys at Hertz".

If the counterperson asks where you're headed, don't mention Bonneville - it probably won't help your cause.

find something of note in the OPPOSITE direction to Bonneville , when hiring the car ask if they have any maps of that area or suggestions about where you might stay. There is no love lost between myself and car hire firms( hidden charges, bald tires,cigarette burns(I don't smoke), don't even mention Glasgow, fuel charges, "full" tank....foreign customer deposits ( but I have a "fully paid" receipt! !)etc)...try finding someone in the office who cares as little about the condition of the vehicle when you bring it BACK as they did when you took it OUT( when you leave , you feel like someone picking up a wreck that they're glad to see gone, when you return you discover that the car was the only one ever owned by the manager's mother who tragically died last month at the hands of someone from your hometown )  :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: My advice is always hire from airports, they're busy, usually their lot is a long way away from their desk and they will take the "key drop" option on returns , small franchises in town offer the best deals ,but they'll keep you waiting for an hour, give you the only car you DON'T want , bring in crime scene investigators to comb the car when you bring it back, then skim your card after you've left "terribly sorry , it was our receptionist who made the mistake, if you're ever in town......"................and don't bother calling their "help" line, it rings out , and you're on the side of the road with a spare wheel with four holes in it and five wheel nuts in your hand. Don't worry get the map out of the glovebox, huh?, "oh , sorry that was one of our cars from Perth, we forgot to put the Eastern States maps in it".........

herendethelesson :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.