Author Topic: How fast can Bonneville handle?  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Mooseman

• New folks
How fast can Bonneville handle?
« on: March 22, 2009, 02:34:18 AM »
I know this probably sounds silly to some , bonneville being the mecca and all but I was reading about some of the All out land speed record attempts there and they seem to comment on the cars making grooves in the salt and generally not holding up . I know that the thrust 2 and thrust ssc records were done at the black rock desert , so it got me wondering , How fast can Bonneville handle the way it is now?

Offline Wester

Re: How fast can Bonneville handle?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 09:16:28 AM »
Year to year the answer would change.  The problem is stopping a really fast car and much of that depends on salt conditions  both for acceleration and braking.  A couple of years ago Tom Burkland made a statement that really answers the question:  "You can't run a 500 mph car on 300 mph salt!"
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 09:25:18 AM by Wester »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 09:23:35 AM »
There is a really great patch of salt beside and behind Floating Mountain, just a little hard to get to...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Wester

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 09:30:10 AM »
With some unexploded munitions cluttering it and no legal way to get access to it.  The Air Force uses it as a Test and Training area.

dwarner

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 12:12:26 PM »
During this century the length of the salt has more to do with the ultimate speed rather than the depth/hardness of the surface.

DW