Author Topic: jet bike body mounted  (Read 6175 times)

Offline crusher

jet bike body mounted
« on: February 16, 2009, 07:23:40 AM »
Alright we have got the body mounted here is a short video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reCOhVSZQes  

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: jet bike body mounted
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 09:24:19 AM »
Looks like you are getting there Mike.  Sure wish the Bub would let you make a test pass... or 2  :-D in opposite directions  :-D
Let us know when you find a venue
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline crusher

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 11:44:19 AM »
Mr Stainless    Ask max if his blower is the same as in the video.Let me knowTalk to you later

Offline jack13

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 12:01:33 PM »
Hey Mike -- Your garage more organized than Costella's

Offline crusher

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 12:13:27 PM »
I consider it an honor to have my name mention in the same sentence as Jack costella no matter how.He has built some real cool stuff.I like his flat bottom design :-)

Offline jack13

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 12:17:27 PM »
Got a new one coming, with a snowmobile motor.

Offline Bird21

• New folks
  • Old School with an open mind!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 04:55:22 PM »
Alright we have got the body mounted here is a short video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reCOhVSZQes  
  never got Email from You but hope you read mine Bird21
Butch

Offline crusher

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 06:23:44 PM »
bird  I sent reply? send email adress

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 10:34:51 PM »
Mike, Max is using a Weiand 162 inch 2 rotor, there are some pictures on the return thread.  I'll check with Max.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Bird21

• New folks
  • Old School with an open mind!
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 08:37:50 AM »
Butch

Offline ack

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 09:21:22 AM »
Just a couple of thoughts on the project:

Don’t know if you plan to run for a record of some sort.  The FIM has a class for thrust powered bikes however the rules are changing. Motorcycle streamliners must be able to tilt 20 degrees right or left before any part of the body touches the ground. I would think that the AMA would follow along and maybe SCTA also. At any rate I don’t believe any of these organizations would allow you to run.

As to a venue to run at I think your only choice would be a private event to run for exhibition only.  The cost for permits, insurance, fire and medical safety and course preparation will run into the mid five figures. Without the ability to run for a recognized record sponsorship may be hard to find. Australia might be an option but then you are talking serious money.

Offline crusher

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 10:44:36 AM »

Mr Ack  thanks for the info. we are using a riker slop indiactor for deploying the chutes in case something happens like on your bike.What type of relay did you use?Thanks in advance.
Mike

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 12:23:07 PM »
........The FIM has a class for thrust powered bikes however the rules are changing. Motorcycle streamliners must be able to tilt 20 degrees right or left before any part of the body touches the ground. I would think that the AMA would follow along and maybe SCTA also. At any rate I don’t believe any of these organizations would allow you to run..................

As slow as FIM seems to be on records, I'm surprised to see them out front on this possible rule change,

Sum

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 01:04:42 PM »
Are they calling it the Anti-Costello Rule?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Blue

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 03:53:27 PM »
... Motorcycle streamliners must be able to tilt 20 degrees right or left before any part of the body touches the ground. I would think that the AMA would follow along and maybe SCTA also. ...
A couple of years ago I saw the video production on BUB-7 getting the 350 mph record (recently broken by Rocky in the Ack- congratulations).  During one pass, the wind had Chris leaned over at least 10 degrees constant and waving around about +/- 2.  If that had been one of those flat-bottom-low-ground-clearance rigs, it would have crashed.

I don't have any motorcycle streamliner experience.  As a superbike racer who has been hit with his fair share of crosswind gusts at speed, I would want some ground clearance on the sides.