Author Topic: Father & Son Campbells Bluebird CN7 403.10 mph wheel driven streamliner  (Read 42741 times)

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

Great web site

Father and son LSR racing a long history

http://www.racingcampbells.com/content/index.asp
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 01:59:47 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

Re: LSR History Father & Son The Racing Campbells
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 10:12:34 PM »
 First wheel driven streamliner to 400mph

BlueBird CN7
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 10:14:57 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 10:20:38 PM »
More CN7 Bluebird info and pictures

Offline Bville701

There are still many GREAT father and son/s teams on the salt. It is a great family sport, and I'm glad to be part of such a great LSR family.
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

Picture Bluebird CN7 Proteus (1963)

Special thanks to Sebastien Morliere

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

Bluebird Crash

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

There are still many GREAT father and son/s teams on the salt. It is a great family sport, and I'm glad to be part of such a great LSR family.

Father and Son LSR racing teams

Its a great thing in life to be able to race together with your father they should make a thread with each team. It would give others ideas of how they started there LSR projects together and there records. I raced with my father before he passed away in 2003 through the Factory A/FX and the early Pro Stock area to todays full blown alcohol 6 second 200mph effort. Its a special deal in life no question about it and here its amazing
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 10:52:23 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Offline MAZDA1807

Father and Son LSR racing teams

Its a great thing in life to be able to race together with your father they should make a thread with each team. It would give others ideas of how they started there LSR projects together and there records. I raced with my father before he passed away in 2003 through the Factory A/FX and the early Pro Stock area to todays full blown alcohol 6 second 200mph effort. Its a special deal in life no question about it and here its amazing

I am also glad to be part of one of these teams.  the Blue Bird was a pretty big car wasn't it?  what was the wheelbase on that thing?
80ci,264.7 RWHP, 19.2sq.ft. of frontal area, 175.611, NOTBAD

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 11:10:16 PM »

BlueBird CN7

Actually Donald Campbell and the Bluebird were the first to set a wheel driven "record" over 400 mph.

John Cobb would be very disappointed to hear that his 403.1 mph pass on the way to a 394.196 mph record in 1939 was not the first 400 mph pass.

Research and take the time to learn the history.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Bville701

Most of the cars were pretty big in those days. I've seen the Railton (not sure how to spell it) up close and it was a pretty big car.  :-o Also, it was interesting that the Railton's body was all one piece.
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline MAZDA1807

One piece shell, that's pretty good boy worrk!!

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
It's interesting to note that Donald Campbell said he was going to run 500 mph.

Sure looked like he had the car to do it. Definitely had the power.

Wonder why they failed? Read the book "Bluebird and the Dead Lake"

Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

One piece shell, that's pretty good boy worrk!!

Here is some info on  John Cobb
http://www.speedace.info/john_cobb.htm

Offline MAZDA1807

Just trying to scale the body of the Railton Mobil Special, it looks to be about 22ft. long.  Thats A LOT of body work.

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 11:47:52 PM »

BlueBird CN7

Actually Donald Campbell and the Bluebird were the first to set a wheel driven "record" over 400 mph.

John Cobb would be very disappointed to hear that his 403.1 mph pass on the way to a 394.196 mph record in 1939 was not the first 400 mph pass.

Research and take the time to learn the history.

I think you need to do the research

Campbell and his team returned to Lake Eyre in 1964, but the surface never returned to the promise it had held in 1962 and Campbell had to battle with CN7 to reach record speeds (over 400 mph (640 km/h)). After more light rain in June, the lake finally began to dry enough for an attempt to be made. On 17 July 1964, Campbell set a record of 403.10 mph (648.73 km/h) for a four-wheeled vehicle (Class A). Campbell was disappointed with the record as the vehicle had been designed for much higher speeds. CN7 covered the final third of the measured mile at an average of 429 mph (690 km/h), peaking as it left the measured distance at over 440 mph (710 km/h).