Author Topic: Question on the Ford Starliner on the Bonneville Salt Flats  (Read 10770 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Question on the Ford Starliner on the Bonneville Salt Flats
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2009, 08:12:43 PM »
Kent, I kinda hate to try to put you into a certain category -- but - - -

It's human nature to want to respond in kind when someone has disparaged you, I know -- all too well.  And it's doubly hard to turn the other cheek when it's a common thing to do - to slap back when you're slapped.  And if you're the slapper -- well, then the other person wants to take a shot at you.  I know, I've put you into the "human" class, and I don't know if you want to be in that category  :-Djavascript:void(0);

And as for snow -- we officially passed the 15-foot total for the season just day-before-yesterday.  That's 180 inches (for those others that might be weather-challenged, or afraid to even contemplate that much snow in one place in one year).  I've had quite a few chances to use my entire fleet of snow removal tools, ranging from the big Oshkosh down to a (gasp, shudder) snow shovel.  Even the scoop, which I doubt that many on this Forum have ever seen, much less used.  Maybe I'll take a photo and post it - tomorrow.  It's Valentine's evening nw -- I've got other things to do.  Snicker, snicker, wink wink.

And finally - if that car was really a '62 with a '61 roof -- well, they sure fooled me.

PS   Now that I've posted I have learned that I don't know how to put one of the smileys into the message.  Someone want to tell me the trick?  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2009, 08:14:45 PM »
The car shown in the first post in this thread is a '61 Ford Starliner. It's always been my most favorite of all car shapes -- so I've lovingly studied it in person.  My mom had a '61 Ford Sunliner -- the convertible - and I told Mom and Dad repeatedly that they should have forsaken the convertible for the Starliner.  Hunh -- I guess the advice their 13-year-old son gave them wasn't taken to heart.

Jon

The Starliner is a great car my uncle raced one back in the days did real good. I have a 1963 1/2 R code 427 Galaxie XL 4 speed it ran strong at Bakersfield NHRA reunion. My friend is restoring a 61 Starliner and wants to build the spair for Bonneville. I think the one posted in the topic thread is neat running on the salt  

dwarner

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2009, 09:24:15 PM »
Jim,

Is your friend confident that his Ford will be the equal to a '75 Chev Monza he will have to compete against?

DW

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2009, 09:30:35 PM »
Jim,

Is your friend confident that his Ford will be the equal to a '75 Chev Monza he will have to compete against?

DW

I don't think he is after a number 1 spot he is after the enjoyment of running his car on the salt. He loves the Starliner I am not saying he cant run fast he has some serious Ford racing people behind him some from the old Ford Drag Team. He is new to this and Bonneville is like a dream to run his car as fast as you can. I hope he does continues his interest in this deal