Author Topic: Engineering Majors Take Bonneville by (Ethanol) Storm 172.680-mph LSR record  (Read 4906 times)

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

This is Engineering Talent

GM's female engineering interns tune an E85 Chevy Cobalt SS to set a new land-speed record

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/womenfamilies/articles/116844/article.html

As the week unfolded, the students' skills became undeniable. On its initial run, the Cobalt (driven by GM Performance Division engineer and driver Mark Dickens) clocked in at 156.073 mph to break the record. The team then blew away their own record twice more by adding nitrous oxide to the E85, which bumped the car's horsepower from 245 to 285, culminating in a 172.680-mph land speed record.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 07:09:25 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

Re: Engineering Majors Take Bonneville by (Ethanol) Storm
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 07:03:48 PM »

MotorTrend

Chevy Cobalt SS Sets Land Speed Record Using E85
http://www.motortrend.com/auto_news/112_news060818_chevy_cobalt_ss_e85_land_speed_record/index.html

Offline pap

BA57-Think we should try that route with one of my BIRDS?????
McBride Motor Sports
3-T-Bird SC
70-71 Ranger XLT
71-429SCJ Torino Cobra-4Speed
82-Chevy S10-350

Offline RichFox

That's the way it should be done. Run on a real record in the BNI/SCTA record book. As opposed to making up a record at Zero MPH and running on that.

McRat

I think it's cool that they were running under the handicap of ethanol, yet set records anyway.  They most likely would have went faster running methanol.

I thought about running bio-diesel, but there isn't a class for it as far as I know.  It makes 4% less HP, but is a renewable resource.

Offline Jim Demmitt Jr

• NHRA T/S 7360
I think it's cool that they were running under the handicap of ethanol, yet set records anyway.  They most likely would have went faster running methanol.

I thought about running bio-diesel, but there isn't a class for it as far as I know.  It makes 4% less HP, but is a renewable resource.

Bio-Diesel renewable resourse

Be nice if they had a class for it very interesting subject
AR Ford Boss Hemi 526ci
Jim Demmitt Jr. Racing NHRA T/S 7360
Blown Alcohol 57tbird

JDR Web page
http://fordflashback.com/jd_fords.asp
A/FX- Pro Stock Rare Factory Ford drag cars

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
didnt know "bio-diesel" is classified as a "renewable" resourse
kent

dwarner

You've got a rulebook, read it! There is a class and how is bio-deisel renewable?

DW

McRat

You've got a rulebook, read it! There is a class and how is bio-deisel renewable?

DW

Guess I'll read through it again.  I thought event diesel must be run, except in classes that have no fuel restrictions.
It's made from plants, so the supply is potentially infinite.  If America could convert to 50% diesel for transportation, then use bio-diesel (plants) and synthetic diesel (natural gas) for 1/2 the diesel fuel, there would be no more need for foreign oil.  Diesel makes 20% more power per gallon than other existing fuels, and the energy yield per acre is potentially several times higher than ethanol.  And you can make more gallons of diesel out of a barrel of oil than gasoline.  All the infrastructure is already in place, and the engines are here.  A turbo diesel will whup a Hybrid at it's own game without the battery issue, and be cheaper.

But sadly, the EPA cannot take the good with the bad, and perhaps will kill the US diesel in the next few years.  Yes, it's higher in NOx emissions, and releases carbon particles.  But it's lower in CO and hydrocarbon emissions.  It's a trade off.

In the last 10 years, diesels have entered into an area where it was considered comedy for them to compete in, and that is performance.  The new GM pickups are rated at 365HP, which is the highest output for all heavy duty pickups regardless of whether they are gas or not.  Diesels were the least powerful engines available at one point, but that is now changing.  Audi caught the world off-guard when they won LeMans with diesel power, and it is a sign that diesels can give both high performance combined with fuel economy. 

This has been a Paid Advertisement by the Diesel Lunatic Committee.

dwarner

Whoops, my mistake Pat.

My answer was pointed at the other guy. Bio-diesel would run in fuel class as you kinda pointed out with your event diesel remark.

Sorry for the error, I have told myself I am done with that guy but I cannot resist.

DW

McRat

No problemo!  :cheers:

What truly bites is that the new 310HP GM 4.5L turbo diesel engine is being put on hold due to GM's financial problems.  It's perhaps the most high-tech of any diesel yet produced, and will bolt right into any car or truck that can use the small block V8.  Picture a 1/2 ton truck or large SUV that get over 25mpg or a diesel Camaro that will run 12 second ET's and get 35mpg highway.  It can be done today, the engine is completed and in limited production. 

dwarner

If I could get that in a truck like my Colorado I would be very happy indeed.

DW

McRat

Last small truck I had was a Nissan Hardbody (1990?), and it only got 20mpg highway when commuting.  I bought it to save gas, since my Ford truck got 13mpg.  Now my 7,000lb 3/4 ton 4x4 trucks are getting about 19-23mpg with diesel, but are massive and much faster.

While ethanol is the popular choice of environmentalists, it's not really a very good motor fuel.  Lack of knowledge on the part of our elected officials is mostly to blame.  But it's interesting that Arnold S, (Governator) brought his old Jeep Wagoneer to PPE to have it refitted for a Duramax diesel drivetrain to be more "green".

Offline interested bystander

Thg only good about E85 is that it may send the illegals back to Mexico for cheaper tortillas.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)