Author Topic: Maxton Gas  (Read 3247 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Maxton Gas
« on: March 24, 2005, 10:18:00 AM »
Keith/Joe, you've alerted us that there will not be a fuel vendor at the ECTA events this year -- at least at the beginning of the season.  So we need to bring our own, right?

What's allowable for gas classes?  It'd be difficult for you to list all brands and specific blends, I know, but could you offer some guidance on what you'll be checking for when you sample -- so we can confer with our sources to make sure we don't show up with a highly-oxygenated fuel that won't pass inspection, for instance.  Maybe some example of what IS okay and what IS NOT allowable -- You know, VP-this, but not Nutec-that, ERC-suchandsuch but not Tennesse home-brew.

I know what I'll run -- but maybe some folks haven't thought about this yet.

Oh, yeah -- will you be checking for hazardous placards on race trailers that're carrying drums of gas?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
Re: Maxton Gas
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 12:38:00 PM »
Jon...
 We are still trying to get the vendor to commit to bring us the fuel... They have put me off about 10 times now....  ( yeah I'm growing weary..)   Anyway to answer your question there may or may not be fuel available... so we have asked the competitors to supply thier own to run in the gas class's....

We have a testing station that looks for specific things, I don't want to say much beyond,  don't mess with a factory fuel... any additives or masking agents will automatically get you disqualified.  Any Stock fuel from a recognized vendor will be acceptable in the gas class so long as it's Gasoline and doesn't contain things it's not supposed to.
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

landracing

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 11:16:00 AM »
so whats a legal gas? How are you going to test for it? Are you telling everybody you need to bring what that clasify as gas? 110 oct, 118 oct, 91 oct, nitro, alcohol? Or is this going to be honor system too?

Have you looked into suppling your own 55 gallon drums of "Gas" for the event, this may be a solution?

Jon

dwarner

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 11:46:00 AM »
Why would I setup and dyno, etc my motor on a given gas then be required to use an unknown supply of maybe questionable componets.

Read the post again, Keith indicated that they will be testing for additives, oxidizers and such that would enable your gas to burn differently than it normally would. The tester will clearly show if anything has been added to change the D.C. of the gas.

landracing

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 11:52:00 AM »
hey dan, im going to move your beer cooler into the sun....

Jon

Offline joea

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 12:57:00 PM »
Keith, sounds great....thats how I envision a gas
 class,  let the competitors decide what they want to run,  and test for tampering...nice job!

Joe  :)

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 01:53:00 PM »
it is nice to acknowledge that in some parts of the country you can only get some brands of racing fuel/gas. Some can get VP some Cam2 some ERC. I just hate to dyno on one and have the first thing to do is change the tune-up for the new fuel. Ever pay to have gas shipped? I have and it is not cheap.. Last time it was 85.00 for 5 gallons in shipping..Plus the price of the fuel.
 Dave

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005, 06:58:00 PM »
Scott
 That was the late 70s and the gas was specified for bike use as a condition of the supplier and before SCTA assumed the responsibilities for the bikes.
 The rider was woody, and the year 1978 ?
 Except for the year of the "California Mold", the supplier has provided various grades to suit the application.
 Cheating on gasoline will never produce the good results that will offset the bad results if you get caught.
 They never thought about it for many years at El Mirage until one of their stars got caught with ALKY in a gas class and he laid it off on the car owner like he couldn't tell.
 I heard Carl offered to do a taste test, and I would go with that. The test is that if he gives it back, it is just gas. I heard it from Warner.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"