Author Topic: Rocket Ranger worlds fastest diesel  (Read 10515 times)

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

Rocket Ranger worlds fastest diesel
« on: January 19, 2009, 01:08:05 AM »
Rocket Ranger

I got this from Motor Trend any info on what happend to this project? is it still the worlds fastest diesel?

SPAL USA's "Rocket Ranger" Pickup Sets New Land Speed Record - Auto News from August 21, 2007
ANKENY, Iowa, Aug. 21 /PRNewswire/ -- SPAL USA's "Rocket Ranger," driven by Hypermax Engineering's Max Lagod, has set a new land speed record and claimed the title of World's Fastest Diesel Pickup Truck during the Bonneville Salt Flats Speed Week, Aug. 11-17.

The "Rocket Ranger" achieved an average speed of 215.091 miles-per-hour -- nearly 2 miles-per-hour faster than the previous record of 213.583 miles-per- hour in the "C/Diesel Truck" class. SPAL's record is recognized by the Southern California Timing Association/Bonneville Nationals Inc. (SCTA/BNI).

In 2001, SPAL USA approached Ford with the "Rocket Ranger" concept. Ford was eager to offer support by providing a stock Ford Rangerpickup. Currently the "Rocket Ranger" is equipped with a Ford Powerstroke(R)/International 6.0- litre diesel engine equipped with Hypermax intercooled series turbochargers, injectors and Mach 7 performance module, dual SPAL USA 12" high-performance cooling fans and a ZF 6-speed transmission.

"The Bonneville Salt Flats is the ultimate proving ground to demonstrate the performance of our cooling fans and centrifugal blowers," said Heath Langenfeld, sales and market manager -- powersports, SPAL USA. "We are thrilled to achieve this prestigious record, not only for SPAL USA, but also for Hypermax."

Lagod, who has driven the "Rocket Ranger" for the past three years, started road racing in 1988, won the SCCA GT-1 class national championship in 1997 and 1998 and recorded several top five finishes in SCCA Trans-Am racing.

The "Rocket Ranger" qualified for the land speed record three times but had difficulty making the back up run. During the first back up run, a failed piston forced the team to change the truck's engine in Utah's 100-degree heat; an oil pump interfered with the second back up run.

"It came down to the 11th hour, but in the end the truck definitely had a record-breaking performance," said Lagod. "It was so exciting to beat the existing land speed record to become a member of Bonneville's 200 mile-per- hour club with the 'Rocket Ranger'."

Lagod said the team may return to the Bonneville Salt Flats in October to beat its own land speed record.

SPAL's "Rocket Ranger" set its first land speed record in 2001 at the SCTA/BNI World Finals with a Roush-built NASCAR(R) Nextel Cup(R) engine enlarged to 371 cubic inches. It reached 205.208 miles-per-hour and shattered the existing "Modified Mid/Mini Pickup" class mark by almost 25 miles-per- hour.

In 2003, SPAL USA's "Rocket Ranger" returned to Bonneville to mark the first time a Powerstroke diesel engine was used for a land speed record attempt. The truck reached a respectable 222 miles-per-hour but was unable to complete a back up run due to an electrical issue caused by an intercooler explosion on a previous run.

"Nothing comes easy at Bonneville," said Mark Kitlinski, sales and market manager -- bus & truck, SPAL USA. "We are very proud of the work our dedicated team has put forth. This record breaking performance would not have been possible without the support of Hypermax, International Truck, Ford Motor Company, and Creative Werks Inc."

SPAL is a leading manufacturer of ISO 9001-certified and TS16949-certified OEM and aftermarket automotive products, including electric cooling fans, centrifugal blowers, power window kits, power door lock kits, security systems, shaved door kits parking sensors, satellite/navigation systems, keyless entry systems and many other products. Founded in 1959, SPAL is headquartered in Correggio, Italy. The company maintains distribution facilities in Ankeny, Iowa, (SPAL USA), Sao Paulo (SPAL Brazil) and Shanghai (SPAL China). SPAL USA is located at 1731 SE Oralabor Rd., Ankeny, IA, 50021. Contact SPAL USA at 800.345.0327, fax 800.654.7725 or visit online at www.spalusa.com.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 01:10:53 AM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Offline Bville701

Re: Rocket Ranger worlds fastest diesel
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 02:46:48 AM »
That's pretty impressive.

Another impressive run is when I saw Jesel's Dodge Ram in C/MP go 255 MPH, and also that great video of the Pheonix do a 270 or so #. There are some pretty fast trucks out there.

:cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

dwarner

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 10:51:41 AM »
I doubt that you can claim "World's Fastest Diesel" at 215 when Andy Green has done 350, Lynn Goodfellow 335, and Roy Lewis 306.

DW

dwarner

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 11:04:13 AM »
Better yet, here is the current list of diesel records. 215 is hardly at the top of the speeds.

Diesel Streamliner - /DS
AA   JCB Diesel Max      A. Green      08/06   317.021
B     Goodfellow Crushers   L. Goodfellow   08/07   242.816
C     Chassis Engineering Special    R. Lewis             08/06   306.816
F      Thermo King                       B. Snyder            08/79   199.019
G      Buzz's Dream                     B. Buswell           08/01   145.116
H      Stinkliner                       M. Manghelli         08/99   116.865
J       Thermo King Lil Scamper    R. Demor             08/81   116.537

6.F  Diesel Truck Category
Diesel Truck - /DT     
AA    A. F. Dick Mfg.               A. Dick Jr.          08/00   202.267
B   Patrick McSwain      P. McSwain   08/08   166.850
C      SPAL USA      M. Lagod      08/07   215.091
E      Hooker-Graham-Hooker      J. Hooker            08/85   141.646
F      Hooker, Hooker & Hooker   V. Hooker            08/92   131.516
G      Hashim’s Auto-Car Quest    E. Hashim            08/01   129.665
H      Kevin Winders      K. Winders   09/08   105.581

Highway Hauler - /HH2   
U      Ye Olde Dragon      G. Nielsen   09/08   182.640

Highway Hauler - /HH3    
U      Ye Olde Dragon          G. Nielsen      09/08   178.152

Modified Diesel Truck - /MDT   
U      Joint Venture            A. Dick      08/06   228.804

Unlimited Diesel Truck - /UDT   
 U      The Phoenix              C. Heap              08/03   272.685

Andy Green and Lynn Goodfellow's FIA records exceed the BNI records.

DW

McRat

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 06:28:26 PM »
Big debate about it is, the Banks Dakota went faster under FIA? timing IIRC and claims the same title as does SPAL, "World's fastest diesel pickup".

I claim my pickup is the fastest production diesel pickup, since we have never heard of a faster speed by a truck that wasn't an "engine swap" project.  Neither the Banks mini-pickup or SPAL mini-pickup were diesel pickups from the factory, and the AF Dick truck (Ford 3/4 ton) has a ~1200ci boat diesel in it.  Our truck runs the factory engine, factory displacement, factory transmission and axles.  We carefully went through the engine, beefing it up for strength, same for the Allison transmission, then put on a larger turbo and a second injection pump.  Not much done to it, and it's still a 3/4-ton HD "street truck" that I drive around in.  The Banks truck is a street legal truck also, but doesn't get much use.

But that's not going to stop me from trying go faster than them anyhow.  :-D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 06:37:08 PM by McRat »

dwarner

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 11:10:20 PM »
This started as a 'diesel' thread not a pickup thread.

Pat,

Casper is indeed the fastest white, 4WD, etc. pickup out there.

DW

McRat

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 12:27:24 PM »
This started as a 'diesel' thread not a pickup thread.

Pat,

Casper is indeed the fastest white, 4WD, etc. pickup out there.

DW

:-D

I like to think of Casper as the fastest with power windows and OnStar.  :roll:

I was going by his post, not the title, SPAL doesn't claim to the be the fastest diesel, rather the fastest diesel pickup.  At Maxton, another "production" truck (Greg Hogue) ran 163? IIRC, and the Bill Heath ran ~155 in his production truck at Bonneville.  Not too shabby for vehicles intended to tow your racecar, not BE your racecar.  This year supposedly there will be 5 trucks that I know of trying to get the title.  Maybe more.  Diesel pickup hotrodding is the fastest growing motorsport in the US, but is currently mostly sledpull, drag, and dyno competitions. 

Thanks out to the SCTA, ECTA, and BNI crew for giving us a safe place to "fight it out".

This has been a paid advertisement by Duramax Diesels.  Your results may vary.  Offer void in Hawaii and Alaska.  If you experience an erection lasting over 4 hours, what are you doing on the internet?  Professional driver on closed course.  Not approved by the FDA.  Patent Pending.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 12:52:56 PM by McRat »

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 08:06:08 PM »
(Quote from McRat)

Big debate about it is, the Banks Dakota went faster under FIA? timing IIRC and claims the same title as does SPAL, "World's fastest diesel pickup

McRat is there more info on the Banks Dekota FIA record? pictures?

McRat

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 05:18:37 PM »
Try the www.bankspower.com ?  It's a red Dakota with a Cummins I-6 up front.

McRat

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 06:16:59 PM »

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 12:01:55 AM »
Here's a writeup about it:

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/stories/sidewinder/page1.html

McRat

Thanks for the info on the Banks Turbo diesel very interesting and well build Dekota. I remember the Banks twin turbo V8 Firebird or Trans Am does it still hold the record?

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 12:52:17 AM »

McRat

Thanks for the info on the Banks Turbo diesel very interesting and well build Dekota. I remember the Banks twin turbo V8 Firebird or Trans Am does it still hold the record?

yes, we studied that car and used a lot of their ideas on our car.  Their record is 267 or 268 and was set in 87. 

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 07:58:57 PM »

McRat

yes, we studied that car and used a lot of their ideas on our car.  Their record is 267 or 268 and was set in 87. 

bvillercr

Thanks for the info on the Banks twin turbo on your car do you have info or web page on it pictures? What class do you run what is your record speed? I like the full body production type cars blown or turbo charged

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 08:12:50 PM »
Here is a link that is on this site in the build diaries.  The car was construction started in 88/89 and first ran in 89.  Our build diary starts as we rebuild a new motor and trans set up.  We waited for, I think it was 2 years for an overdrive to be built.  Anyway the fastest we've been is 288 and we set a record this year at a soft 246.550 having blower tube problems and a cracked intercooler. 

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,2606.0.html

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 08:37:18 PM »
Here is a link that is on this site in the build diaries.  The car was construction started in 88/89 and first ran in 89.  Our build diary starts as we rebuild a new motor and trans set up.  We waited for, I think it was 2 years for an overdrive to be built.  Anyway the fastest we've been is 288 and we set a record this year at a soft 246.550 having blower tube problems and a cracked intercooler. 

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,2606.0.html

bvillercr

Thanks for the link I looked through it very interesting you done a lot of hard work on your LSR car. I enjoyed looking through it this is what makes land speed racing so great teams like yours working hard to get the most out of there machines. I look forward to meeting you and all the rest at Speed Week 2009. I seen a lot of BA Hemi aluminum blocks through Wayne Torkelsons 54 Corvette Nitro Coupe effort your aluminum KB block is nice what is the total weight on your car? did you do a four wheel weight scale check to get the weight right on all four wheels? or is this necessary for LSR class as yours? what spring load pressures do you have? I appreciate your input as we are learning from you as your a solid performing car in your class
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 09:36:06 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »